Thread: Have you heard the news?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Have you heard the news?

Dell has chosen Ubuntu as it's choice for desktop and laptop solutions!

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/6383/1/
    - 'Techie' Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Have you heard the news?

So, are we working for Dell now too?

Just kidding, that is great news! This is a great step in fixing bung #1. I will have to see prices when they come out, but I am really wanting to get one of their laptops as soon as they are out. I really liked what one of the articals I read said, "Dell is now about options" That is what I want to see, options. No more Windows tax if you do not want Windows

"Dude! Your getting a dell!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In a world where proprietary computers are the ones people buy due to lack of knowledge, I would have to say that I am happy to see change. I have only been working with Ubuntu for a few days and I cannot believe how much better(a serious understatement, I know!) this OS is. I have been telling all my friends about it because I cannot stop thinking of how amazing it really is. I know I sound like a geek but I have always prided myself on the fact that whenever people in my town need help, they either call this computer store in town who rapes them or they call me and I usually do the work for free. Now, I'm going to start converting people because I have not had to search for one driver or anything!!!

Back to the topic at hand, I think HP, Dell and Gateway have always sold their customers short with their systems and how most people think computers are disposable. Finally, these companies are building decent PC's and I will now start looking for a Dell desktop to run Ubuntu on as well! This is wonderful news to me and if I have said anything that anyone disagrees with, I apologize!
    Last edited by evolushun; October 3rd, 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Misspells

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by evolushun View Post
    In a world where proprietary computers are the ones people buy due to lack of knowledge, I would have to say that I am happy to see change. I have only been working with Ubuntu for a few days and I cannot believe how much better(a serious understatement, I know!) this OS is. I have been telling all my friends about it because I cannot stop thinking of how amazing it really is. I know I sound like a geek but I have always prided myself on the fact that whenever people in my town need help, they either call this computer store in town who rapes them or they call me and I usually do the work for free. Now, I'm going to start converting people because I have not had to search for one driver or anything!!!

Back to the topic at hand, I think HP, Dell and Gateway have always sold their customers short with their systems and how most people think computers are disposable. Finally, these companies are building decent PC's and I will now start looking for a Dell desktop to run Ubuntu on as well! This is wonderful news to me and if I have said anything that anyone disagrees with, I apologize!
    The only problem I have found with dell is that they are limited in their offer. I am going to else ware for a laptop, as I want a 17" laptop. I think I am going to go with Mac as it doesn't have Windows and they use Ubuntu in the ads. I have seen boot camp running Ubuntu in one store and pictured on the box one of their programs.