Thread: My little voyage

Beans

My little voyage

I have been away from here for a time while I took a voyage around some of the new Nix releases and this is what I found .

Fedora Core3

I have tried all fedora releases since core 1 and while this is a good distro it just does not jump and say me me me .There is no WOW factor at all.
    There is still nagging annoyances that never seem to go away .
    For me these are.
    1. Fuzzy Fonts , Fedore does a really bad job on rendering fonts they improve with work but never really give a nice clean look.
    2. Scanner support , bah what a pain ,I have tried two scanners a HP2200 and my current which is a PSC2310 , both have never worked
    3.NTFS support , flacky and frustrating , I know of the possible copyright issues but heck if Mandrake and Suse can get around that surely Redhat and Fedora can.
    4. With every new release of fedora there seems to be a new battle of the sound to done.
    5. I dont know what others have found but Mozilla always looks yuk in fedora.

To me Fedora always seems to be one constant Beta version , but I think that is intentional.

Mandrake10.1

Very much a point release. I think Mandrake should have delayed it a month or so , I know they stick to 6 months releases but that should be so set in stone . A months delay and they could have included , KDE3.3 , Gnome 2.8 , Firefox1.0 and Thunderbird 9.
    As it is, whilst up to Mandrakes high standard, 10.1 really offers very little new and for anyone with say MDK 10 PowerPak it is simply not worth the effort and the dollars to change.

Suse 9.2

I think the same can be said of Suse 9.2 that I said of MDK 10.1 , but they did get KDE 3.3 and Firefox 1.0 into there.
    But again it just a point release.

Ubuntu 4.10 Final

I have finally installed to final release of this , I have been to a PR version for so long , but I nuked my machine to look at the other distros so it gave me the opportunity to install.
    Ubuntu is in its infancy , but it does so much so well. One thing that really impresses me is its font rendering , it is fantastic , no jaggies and beats Fedora cold.
    Firefox seems to have been made for Ubuntu , it runs so well.
    I hear a lot of grumble that Ubuntu does not include KDE, but it does such a good job with Gnome that it does not really matter. Gnome performes better on Ubuntu than it does on Fedora , MDK or Suse. Doing a post install of KDE is breeze though.

As for my HP PSC2310, I just add the additional packages from the contrib repositories and it works , as good as it does in Windows , if not better. Sane does a great job os scanning with it.
    So its back on my main machine and it will be here for quite some time.

And just one final note , thankyou for the opportunity to moderate , its an honour to help with a great forum , and this is the best of the forums I visit .

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My little voyage

Glad you like the distro! Just out of curiosity, I haven't seen you around before... how did you become a moderator? I've kinda had my eye on that kinda position myself (I spend enough time on here )

Beans

email site admin ubuntu-geek.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    Glad you like the distro! Just out of curiosity, I haven't seen you around before... how did you become a moderator? I've kinda had my eye on that kinda position myself (I spend enough time on here )
    Same goes for me, lol
    I've spent like 2 hours here daily from the moment I installed ubuntu, no reason for me not to assist.
    If this is life, I think I'll live another day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenWolf
    Same goes for me, lol
    I've spent like 2 hours here daily from the moment I installed ubuntu, no reason for me not to assist.
    Not me. I don't want to help. I just want to make smart-ass comments and watch my posts go up! Yeah, baby, yeah!

Unless you want a thread for smart-ass posts. Or for fat sysadmins posting to boards on company time. Then I'm your man.

Or maybe one on llamas or something.
    ==========
    jwb
    "You people need to appreciate my goofy comments. I'm feeling under-appreciated. Appreciate..... Appreciate, I tell you!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Damn. Can I be a mod too- time to mod the mods on thread hijacking.
    SMH panicked thumb don't forget the little people

On topic- I think Fedora Core is a heartless *****'s perception of the GNU/Opensource community. Allowing the world to be the dev/testing group for a product you patch then sell, without ever giving a stable distribution to users, just sucks.

I just thought up a new insult for HeadRat's fedora- Gamorrah ***** lol name fits too
    Last edited by Magneto; November 17th, 2004 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    SMH panicked thumb don't forget the little people
    SMH??? Que es SMH?

On topic- I think Fedora Core is a heartless *****'s perception of the GNU/Opensource community. Allowing the world to be the dev/testing group for a product you patch then sell, without ever giving a stable distribution to users, just sucks.
    Yeah, never thought of it in QUITE that fashion, but you're totally right. Licensing and RedHat's turn to the dark side are the basic reasons I stopped using Fedora altogether. If I want free software (as in free speech, not free beer) I want free software. They like to straddle the line between free and proprietary a little too much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SMH??? Que es SMH?

shaking my head mi amigo

Beans

Yeah, never thought of it in QUITE that fashion, but you're totally right. Licensing and RedHat's turn to the dark side are the basic reasons I stopped using Fedora altogether. If I want free software (as in free speech, not free beer) I want free software. They like to straddle the line between free and proprietary a little too much.
    I agree although I've read a lot of people thinking in that fashion.
    I'm not too much concerned if they want to keep the enterprise release in "the dark side" to make moneys, but since this results in fedora being a constant beta version, as the author of this thread said, then I'm concerned.