Thread: AGP card: Slower slot, or Slower Card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

AGP card: Slower slot, or Slower Card?

Hey again,
    A while ago I got a new video card, and it was simple to get it to work with Ubuntu. The 3d accel. is working just fine, and I am able to play Quake 3 and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory just fine. However, I've noticed that Wolfenstein puts a strain on the card, and this is kind of odd, since I have 256 6200 LE 8X AGP Nvidia card. I talked to the manufacturer, and they said it isn't under clocked. I'm thinking it could be the fact that it is a light edition card that's the cause, but a friend told me that my computer might be reading card as if it were in a lesser slot (or maybe I have it in a lesser slot).
    My question is how do I find what the computer is reading it as, or does anyone know if the card I'm using is naturally this slow? Thanks in advance

-Rhemat

Re: AGP card: Slower slot, or Slower Card?

Although it's probably because it's a LE card, you can check for sure by running "nvidia-settings" and going to the GPU 0 - (card name).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: AGP card: Slower slot, or Slower Card?

Thanks Kano for the speedy reply. Well, it seems to be reqistering at 4x. I'm betting it's in a 4x slot, but I'll have my friend take a look at it soon to make certain. I've also been looking around for a card that is not a light edition.

-Rhemat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: AGP card: Slower slot, or Slower Card?

To change the AGP from 4x to 8x first change it in your BIOS (F1 or delete key depending on your system at start up) your mother board may not support 8x AGP. Check in your computer manual for how to's for AGP set-up in Bios. Make sure that your video card is AGP 8X first.
    Last edited by blitzer; May 2nd, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Ubuntu UserDocumentation
    Acer Aspire 5520 AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.8Ghz - Nvidia GeForce 7000m -
    4 gigs DDR2 800 - DVD super multi DL - 15.4 WXGA CrystalBrite LCD - 64 bit ubuntu 9.04