Thread: Howdy fellow Ubuntu-ers!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Howdy fellow Ubuntu-ers!!

Hey all,

I found out about Edgy Efty 6.10 from my popular science magazine. Lets just say ever since I got my CD I have been dual booting ever since. Now that Feisty Fawn has been release Im tempted to pull out the hard drive that has Windows XP and toss it on the shelf. Well maybe I should keep it so I can play Starcraft and Warcraft.

I have a question for them Hard core Ubuntu users. Is there a good book for programing with Python and general Ubuntu know how? Of course the best way to figure stuff out is to just play with it and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howdy fellow Ubuntu-ers!!

Howdy! Just last night I was watching a python developer give a talk at Google ENG, he conspicuously left out the o'reilly books and suggested Python Core Programming, by a bay area author with an asian surname. I went through a book by Mark Lutz fairly quickly and have no complaints, my only previous programming experience was an undergraduate course with Scheme. I cant find the link right now but look around, there is also a talk by van Rossum, and Google engineers are known to use variants of Ubuntu for development. I have had nothing but success with python under Edgy and then Debian Lenny (because of hardware issues with Feisty, cant wait to get back to Ubuntu.) Find a project you are interested on Sourceforge and plough in, for me it was the Natural language toolkit, it is a short distance from introduction to creative reuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The speaker was Alex Martelli, date April 10 2007, available here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ython+martelli

There is some useful detail on introductory Python books and other excellent material.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hey bvmou

Thanks for the link and the info about some books. Im going to try and find a project that I can sink my teeth into and plough in. Thanks again.

Beans

Welcome to the Ubuntu Cali LoCo forum, I myself have not jumped onboard any of the projects but I should it sounds like fun. And I love using Ubuntu, its great piece of work on the part of all those that threw it together, and thats why its the number 1 distro. Hehe its Debian based but if you look around most of the newer ones are based around Ubuntu, so I guess we can thank the Debian folks also. Anyways have fun with the project you pick and drop us a message with the one you decided to do.

Marious