Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

I have and old lime iMac with what I think is a tricky slot loading CD-rom.
    I have best results with an old dapper netboot for installing.
    However the mirroras have moved and I can't even load a dapper desktop.
    Someone pointed me to the hardy mini iso.
    Is a little tricky but got it to install.
    Problem seem to be having issues with the respository in Britain.
    Should I add other mirrors via apt.

Beans

Do you have any idea where repositories are? Or is there any available at all?
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Note that ppc packages are no longer on any of the mirrors to save space and bandwidth - they only exist on a ports server now.

From our friends at Xubuntu (and also in the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS errata), make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list file is correct.

This might help out:
    http://xubuntu.com/news/hardy/ports

If you aren't running Xubuntu, substitute gedit for mousepad as the editor to use to edit the sources.list file. (or kdesu kate for kde fans, sudo nano for cli, etc)
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Hi i am new at this point and i have 1 question : can i install ubuntu 8.04 linux (file name : ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-powerpc)?? or i can only use 7.10 ubuntu linux?? Thanks... I have yellow dog linux 6.0 but i don't like it i can't watch youtube.com videos , skype isnt working, and much slower
    EDIT: Oh sorry i am asking about PS3 system
    Last edited by ZixPro7; October 8th, 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by docinsano View Post
    Just wondering if Gutsy has fixed the Nautilus bug. I have ubuntu feisty installed on my imac g3 and everything works but Nautilus. Is it a good time to upgrade? Or are people still screaming at nautilus?
    I previously had Fedora PPC installed which never opened Nautilus for me, but all versions of Ubuntu I've loaded on my iBook G4 work fine with Nautilus.

Beans

Thank you for this post. I thought beforehand that 6.06 was the last Ubuntu version. I went to Gentoo, then came back and found this. I felt stupid (for not finding this earlier) and happy (because I get to use Ubuntu) at the same time. I can't wait for Intrepid, personally. Hopefully, it isn't too long after its release for the PPC version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Afternoon ladies and gents,

Anyone have a link to Intrepid Ibex for a PPC machine? I cannot find much info and do not even know if it has been released. Can one of you gurus help a "first-cupper" out?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elephex View Post
    Afternoon ladies and gents,

Anyone have a link to Intrepid Ibex for a PPC machine? I cannot find much info and do not even know if it has been released. Can one of you gurus help a "first-cupper" out?

Cheers!
    if it is, it will be on the ports server, just like Hardy was:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

You might have to trim the hardy part off the address though to see Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    if it is, it will be on the ports server, just like Hardy was:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

You might have to trim the hardy part off the address though to see Intrepid.
    Cheers!! It keeps timing out, so im not sure if it is really there. But i will keep checking back.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elephex View Post
    Cheers!! It keeps timing out, so im not sure if it is really there. But i will keep checking back.

Thanks again.
    Yes, it is likely overloaded. Someone may have a torrent sooner or later.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast