Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Threaded View

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

I've started putting together a set of instructions for installing Lubuntu Natty (with Firefox 6) on PowerPC here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1798792 . "The objective of the lubuntu project is to create a faster, more lightweight and energy saving variant of Ubuntu by using LXDE, The Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, as its default GUI." See http://lubuntu.net/about .

Even if you choose not to install Lubuntu, you maybe interested in some of the instructions/information in the thread. For example, there are instructions to create a bootable usb flash stick from both Linux or Mac OS X. Running a Live CD from a USB stick is so much more rewarding than from an actual CD. A CD is very very very slow and will never give a true reflection of what the installed system will be like. USB is faster than a CD, but please be aware it is still slower than a hard drive and the computer also has to de-compress the data that's been squeezed onto the 'CD'.

The Lubuntu instructions/thread also describes how to set up a command line only base ubuntu system. Once you have that installed you can add any variant of Ubuntu you wish. Just type the command "sudo tasksel" and you'll be given a list to choose from. Included in the list are Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook and Edubuntu. I've done this successfully for Natty desktop versions of both Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

Lubuntu is considerably lighter than normal Ubuntu and is very quick to boot (by far the quickest I've tried). There really is no need to install old (and unsupported) versions of Ubuntu if you think your hardware is too old. Lubuntu Natty is much better looking than previous versions and has a more 'with it' feel. It also has Firefox 6 so you'll have the very latest browser too!

The script I've put together for installing PowerPC Lubuntu Natty is easily customizable to your own preferences. It does not rely on one big umbrella meta package to install everything, but instead installs packages individually. Hopefully, this will mean it is more stable when Natty is updated to 11.10 'Oneiric Ocelot' and beyond.

I think the lubuntu instructions are already pretty comprehensive, but I keep thinking of things to add to them. There are already instructions for setting up wifi, configuring an xorg.conf file, as well as, how to add codecs on PowerPC. I'll keep editing them so watch out for updates!
    Last edited by rsavage; August 20th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.