Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

I've started putting together a set of instructions for installing Lubuntu Natty (with Firefox 6) on PowerPC here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1798792 . "The objective of the lubuntu project is to create a faster, more lightweight and energy saving variant of Ubuntu by using LXDE, The Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, as its default GUI." See http://lubuntu.net/about .

Even if you choose not to install Lubuntu, you maybe interested in some of the instructions/information in the thread. For example, there are instructions to create a bootable usb flash stick from both Linux or Mac OS X. Running a Live CD from a USB stick is so much more rewarding than from an actual CD. A CD is very very very slow and will never give a true reflection of what the installed system will be like. USB is faster than a CD, but please be aware it is still slower than a hard drive and the computer also has to de-compress the data that's been squeezed onto the 'CD'.

The Lubuntu instructions/thread also describes how to set up a command line only base ubuntu system. Once you have that installed you can add any variant of Ubuntu you wish. Just type the command "sudo tasksel" and you'll be given a list to choose from. Included in the list are Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook and Edubuntu. I've done this successfully for Natty desktop versions of both Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

Lubuntu is considerably lighter than normal Ubuntu and is very quick to boot (by far the quickest I've tried). There really is no need to install old (and unsupported) versions of Ubuntu if you think your hardware is too old. Lubuntu Natty is much better looking than previous versions and has a more 'with it' feel. It also has Firefox 6 so you'll have the very latest browser too!

The script I've put together for installing PowerPC Lubuntu Natty is easily customizable to your own preferences. It does not rely on one big umbrella meta package to install everything, but instead installs packages individually. Hopefully, this will mean it is more stable when Natty is updated to 11.10 'Oneiric Ocelot' and beyond.

I think the lubuntu instructions are already pretty comprehensive, but I keep thinking of things to add to them. There are already instructions for setting up wifi, configuring an xorg.conf file, as well as, how to add codecs on PowerPC. I'll keep editing them so watch out for updates!
    Last edited by rsavage; August 20th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

Beans

I've successfully installed Java from the Medibuntu repo. Based upon prior experience, I selected the sdk version.
    thank you very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lubuntu arriving soon

Hi,

following on from a chat about us having 11.10 include an alternate (text based) installer iso image, the request was made to those who look after such things at Canonical and they not only delivered the i386 that was requested, but a full set that includes images suitable for G3 Macs both as alternate and LiveCD. Please note that these are still daily builds and 11.10 is still at alpha stage, so are not suitable for 'production' machines, but may be of interest to anyone who likes to have a tinker.

Head over to Testing for a bit more background on them. As Lubuntu is a really small team, we'd appreciate anyone who could test them out and report any issues. I have access to an elderly iMac, so I'll do what testing I can, but I don't know of any others on the Lubuntu team who have Macs.

Regards,

Phill.

/edit.... there is problem with the initial builds of the alternate isos... please do not try to use them.
    Last edited by phillw; August 28th, 2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: a problem

B_Free is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Lubuntu arriving soon

Beans

What is the best I can get for my system?

Hi, I am a Mac user and my computer recently crashed. It was running OS X 10.4.11. I realize it was a GUI problem now, but i deleted my Hard drive and installed OS 9, which I am beginning to hate because you can't really do crap with it. Then, I remember Linux. if someone could please help me find out which version I need to use that would be appreciated. I've got me a 500MHz PPC G4 with about 1.5GB ram I think (need to check lol) and about 80GB HD space. Also, if I could install it onto a USB flash drive, that would be appreciated. It's a 8GB USB stick. Don't need it to fit on there, but just thought it'd be nice so that I could have a backup disk in case my system crashed or something. Also, I am currently using a 2GHz Intel macbook with 2GB RAM, and if I could find something for that, that'd be cool too. It's running OS X 10.6.8 atm. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Beans
    Distro

^^^You cannot boot off of the USB ports on your G4, as they are USB 1.1, which is not sufficient for a boot device.

As for what kind of Linux to run, you can try the link just above your post. It links to a development release, but you can try the Live CD and see how it works on your particular system. (note - the PowerPC image is oversized right now, and will not fit on a CD. give it a few days, and it should be fixed, I think).

Otherwise, for a machine that isn't running a alpha/beta/testing install, I would recommend grabbing a Debian Squeeze PowerPC install CD, and use that.

Regardless, just about any modern Linux install you do will run circles around the functionality of MacOS 9.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkmgarf View Post
    Regardless, just about any modern Linux install you do will run circles around the functionality of MacOS 9.
    I don't think that is true. I think people need to select a distribution based on the capabilities of their hardware otherwise they are going to be v disappointed/frustrated. For example, standard Ubuntu is trying to compete with modern versions of Windows/Mac OS X which run on modern hardware. Whilst probably being a lot more forgiving, standard Ubuntu also requires a modern spec.

If you have a G3 or G4 then I wouldn't go any higher than the long term release Ubuntu 10.04 (EDIT: Although some people seem happy with Unity on 11.10). If you want a newer version such as natty (11.04) or oneiric (11.10) then think about Xubuntu or Lubuntu which are both excellent and run really fast on my G4 (way faster than standard Ubuntu).

I wouldn't recommend a development release to somebody new to linux unless there is a special reason why they need it. My own personal opinion (and I know that there are many that will disagree with me on this) is that I wouldn't recommend debian to somebody new to linux. I just find debian so much harder than Ubuntu.

Everybody has their personal preferences and I think if you have time then it is a good idea to try a few distributions to see what you are happy with. I like round window corners, shadows and transparency so prefer Xubuntu over Lubuntu, but if I was limited to only 128MB of ram, or had a very slow processor/graphics card then Lubuntu would be my choice. Some people prefer the long term releases for their stability, but the feedback from the forum seems to be that if you have a nVidia card or want to connect to a new usb device then you may have better performance/success with a newer release.

This post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=1 explains how to install any version of ubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu etc, as well as, the common fixes you may need. You don't need a CD to install!!

I'd like to see a lot of the information in the above post migrated over to the PowerPC FAQ wiki so that people can find it more easily. If you have some spare time then be my guest to do a bit of cut and pasting! It would be time really well spent to get the PowerPC documentation back up to date.
    Last edited by rsavage; October 18th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mondo2k View Post
    - the simplest partitioning system you can have on a ppc-Mac with Ubuntu/Xubuntu is [1] a very small Apple partition so the Mac can boot, [2] a small NewWorld /boot partition, [3] the main data partition, which mine is of the /ext3 file type, and [4], the /swap file partition. I can't use LVS on my iMac (it won't boot when I do) and encryption is pretty much pointless since I need every bit of speed I can get. You may be able to get away with one or both though.

So are you saying that I can't just wipe out the Mac OS and install Ubuntu on a G4 Emac? I need to create a partition for some of the crucial mac system to live on? Will the Ubuntu installation CD (powerPC version) know this already & take care of it for me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    So are you saying that I can't just wipe out the Mac OS and install Ubuntu on a G4 Emac? I need to create a partition for some of the crucial mac system to live on? Will the Ubuntu installation CD (powerPC version) know this already & take care of it for me?
    You can wipe your mac system alright. When you come to install just select the 'use entire disk' option and the installer will recommend/suggest the necessary partitioning which you can just go with. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    As rsavage said, just click "use whole disk." That will take care of it for you.

To explain what we are talking about though:

partition 1 is a small partition that all New World macs need to boot (It's not any part of MacOS at all, but simply a boot partition)

partition 2 is the partition that yaboot (the bootloader that is used for your machine) lives on - in a single OS environment this partition points the system to the next partition to actually boot Linux (if dual/triple booting, it points to each of the respective partitions).

partition 3 is the Linux file system

partition 4 is swap space

Just thought I'd break it down a little. With Linux, it seems, the more in depth you understand something, the more luck you have bringing it back if/when something goes wrong.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast