Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Does anybody know of the error cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001.10.19.0 that you get just before usplash and how to fix it. I learned that this error message has something to do with openfirmware and usb-ohci. I tried compiling a new kernel with the how to on faq and enabling the usb-ohci in menuconfig, and even though the new kernel boots i still receive this error. I know there has to be a way around this, and looked all over google for a fix but could not find one. Please help running out of ideas.

Beans

I also would like to know if anybody knows a good how to to walk me through the steps in compiling a new kernel as well as what to enable in menu config for an ibook g3 366MHZ Firewire clamshell. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    I also would like to know if anybody knows a good how to to walk me through the steps in compiling a new kernel as well as what to enable in menu config for an ibook g3 366MHZ Firewire clamshell. Thanks
    If you have ANOTHER machine* that has successfully booted Ubuntu you can compile a special kernel for the ibook. If you only have the ibook, you'll have to find a kernel that will boot it...

*Easiest if the other machine is a PowerPC, though I believe theoretically you can cross-compile kernels on different architectures with some effort.

Here are some basic instructions on compiling an Ubuntu kernel: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild

HOWEVER if you need further assistance (such as with your booting issue) you probably need to find or start another thread -- THIS thread is "pinned" as a FAQ!

EDIT: This is a better FAQ: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ -- It includes specific directions for compiling a PowerPC kernel.
    Last edited by Tommy; October 29th, 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    Ubuntu for PowerPC is now a community supported platform (the announcement ). This means that ISO downloads have mean moved to the ports section of the Ubuntu sever, and no longer on most mirrors. You can download them from

Ubuntu Feisty
    Kubuntu Feisty
    Edubuntu Feisty

Answers to other PowerPC questions can be found in the Ubuntu PowerPC FAQ
    first post should be updated for gutsy, shouldn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lo'oris View Post
    first post should be updated for gutsy, shouldn't it?
    I agree, except I think to be kind to newbies we should note that Gutsy has been difficult for many on PowerPC users and Feisty might be the easier place to start until/unless Gutsy gets cleaned up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ubuntu on Powerpc

After many hours of burning, booting and googling, I finally figured it out:
    Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 simply doens't work on Mac/Powerpc!!
    Feisty 7.04 does!

It's a step back (for ppc at least).
    On i386 I'm very happy about Gutsy!

Long live open source

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu on Powerpc

So, are there any distros out there that run well on PPC that are beginner friendly? I would love to use ubuntu but, yeah, it doesn't seem to work for PPC. As for feisty, it worked, except for Nautilus, for me anyways. Well, that's all i got. Later

Beans

Debian Etch and Testing, Lenny I think, run on ppc fine.

Beans

I'm running Fedora 8 on a Mac Mini.
    Here's a link to download a CD:
    ftp://ftp.crc.dk/pub/mirrors/fedora/...ses/8/Live/ppc

You can find other mirrors.
    Go to DistroWatch and look them up
    from the Fedora data sheet.
    Click on fedora in the page hit ratings.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So what's the word on PPC Gutsy?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast