Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Yes, it is likely overloaded. Someone may have a torrent sooner or later.
    Here ya go:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...09&postcount=1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Thanks! You .

I've been looking for hours for something that will (hopefully) breathe new life into our Mac Mini 1.4Ghz PPC.

Beans

Beans

Ubuntu Hardy PPC, iMac G3 Blueberry

I downloaded the image, burned it, popped it in the iMac, and booted with the 'live video=ifonly' as the normal boot wasnt giving any video output (havent tried with external monitor yet). Boots up, but theres no GUI. startx fails (just making sure) and im not sure what to do now. how would i get this working?
    -)SLV(-Zopiac
    X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, #!, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, OpenSuSE, Gentoo, Austrumi, TinyCore, Feather; Win9x, 2000, XP, 7, Mac OS 9.x, OS X
    3.1GHz Hexa AMD | nVidia 9800 GT card | Arch Linux

Beans

Post this in a new message instead of this thread and you're likely to get more help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zopiac View Post
    Ubuntu Hardy PPC, iMac G3 Blueberry

I downloaded the image, burned it, popped it in the iMac, and booted with the 'live video=ifonly' as the normal boot wasnt giving any video output (havent tried with external monitor yet). Boots up, but theres no GUI. startx fails (just making sure) and im not sure what to do now. how would i get this working?
    Hi Zopiac,

Did you get Ubuntu running in the end?

Regarding the above downloads, after having tried both Hardy and Gutsy, desktop and alternative I have to say I am rather disappointed to find they do not work with my Powemac G4.

None of them leave me with a working Mac, with 8.04 I get a frozen screen for my troubles, with 7.10 I get a black screen with an error message.

Anyone have links to actual working Ubuntu downloads which can be loaded to a Mac or is it definitely a PC only OS? Personally I see no point having "may work" download stickies which only waste time, 4 burned discs and a day and a half of time wasted.

Beans

It annoyed me too, and South Africa has some of the most expensive Internet access in the world. That's why we created www.ppclinux.info. I think it's a must-read before trying *any* linux on a PowerPC machine. Here's what we know of: http://www.ppclinux.info/wiki/maclin/Known_Issue_Matrix

Now... how to make sure people look at that page *before* downloading an ISO? Not sure.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Viljoen View Post
    It annoyed me too, and South Africa has some of the most expensive Internet access in the world. That's why we created www.ppclinux.info. I think it's a must-read before trying *any* linux on a PowerPC machine. Here's what we know of: http://www.ppclinux.info/wiki/maclin/Known_Issue_Matrix

Now... how to make sure people look at that page *before* downloading an ISO? Not sure.
    So after looking at the above links I am none the wiser, I take it the second link is implying that one cannot run Linux Ubuntu on a Powermac G4?

I myself seem to get as far as loading it, use name, password, but as soon as the desk top appears and the network connection appears the screen freezes.

Does the Powermac "have" to have it's AGP card installed over a PCI alternative? I have PCI and AGP cards for this, and I am running a non spec card to utilise an old Apple display.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast