Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Arrow Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by jcompton View Post
    Can somebody expand the explanation of how to do a proper 7.04 full Xubuntu install? Right now it simply says "It would be possible to install with this and then upgrade to the final release." which is a little vague for newcomers.

Does anybody know why there's no Xubuntu PPC final? Arguably it's the most useful of all the Ubuntus for PPC users, since it tends to cater to machines of a spec lower than that you'd want to comfortably run OSX on.
    Xubuntu 7.04 for PowerPC
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/po.../7.04/release/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

grrrrrrrrrrr!!! Why didn't I see this thread before!
    I downloaded and burnt both i386 and 64bit version and wondered WHY my iBook G4 would not boot CD. I am SUCH a noob!!!
    Thanks so much for this thread!
    -Linux är det bästa operativsystemet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    Ubuntu for PowerPC is now a community supported platform (the announcement ). This means that ISO downloads have mean moved to the ports section of the Ubuntu sever, and no longer on most mirrors.
    Lord, is nothing EVER easy in Linux land? Is it too much to ask that the Ubuntu download page include some link or notice of this so that people don't waste a half hour trying to figure out where PPC distros are hidden. Or as I almost did, just go away assuming that UBUNTU is Intel only.

For a distro that sells itself on user friendliness there is a lot of detective work required for older Mac users to find out that it even exists for our machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Appalbarrychestnut View Post
    Lord, is nothing EVER easy in Linux land? Is it too much to ask that the Ubuntu download page include some link or notice of this so that people don't waste a half hour trying to figure out where PPC distros are hidden. Or as I almost did, just go away assuming that UBUNTU is Intel only.

For a distro that sells itself on user friendliness there is a lot of detective work required for older Mac users to find out that it even exists for our machines.
    I couldn't agree more.

In addition to that the official Ubuntu pages should have the mentioned links to the various community distros, there should be some information as well as to when the daily builds of the community versions have been brought on par (technically speaking) with the release candidates of the i386 and amd64 kind ("tribes" or whatever these major steps are being called by Canonical).

Regards,

Walter.

Beans

Re: Download Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu for PPC, SPARC, PS3

Quote Originally Posted by walter_f View Post
    there should be some information as well as to when the daily builds of the community versions have been brought on par (technically speaking) with the release candidates of the i386 and amd64 kind ("tribes" or whatever these major steps are being called by Canonical).
    At least I've found this statement

"Tribe releases are not available for PowerPC, the the daily produced on the day of the Tribe release is effectively the same."

here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Please note, in addition to Ubuntu proper featuring Gnome, there are current Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. versions available in the /ports section of most Ubuntu mirrors as well, and not just for PowerPC but for the Playstation PS3 hardware architecture, too, and each of them in a daily live (Live CD) and a daily (Alternate install CD) flavour.

Some of the mentioned varieties, if not all, are available for the Sun SPARC architecture as well.

Walter.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have very successfully done 6.10 -> 7.04 upgrades under PPC. The only thing for me is that Linux for PPC doesn't get the love that Linux for x86 does, and this really limits it's usefulness for me. I hate to say it, but particularly for workstation use, Mac OS X is actually the superior choice, even though I would in truth prefer to run FSF/OSS softwre exclusively.

Such is life...
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gutsy is now available for Power PC Macs (and the Sony PS3?) at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release/

Credit: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Looki..._the_Sony_PS3/
    Last edited by Deacon Nikolai; October 18th, 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Giving credit to http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Looking_for_Ubuntu_7_10_Gutsy_Gibbon_for_PPC_Macs_IBMs_and_the_Sony_PS3/blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

my problem is that the xubuntu powerpc download done via the torrent - all 600mb - does not have a site where i can check the md5sum. when burnt to disk the damn thing does not boot or anything like that.

seems that i have wasted my time and bandwidth!!

any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just wondering if Gutsy has fixed the Nautilus bug. I have ubuntu feisty installed on my imac g3 and everything works but Nautilus. Is it a good time to upgrade? Or are people still screaming at nautilus?

Beans

Smile Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by stmiller View Post
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    I try this command and I get a message saying I already have the latest version. But I'm running Xubuntu 6. It also told me that several packages were not needed anymore so I did the autoremove to get rid of them.. and then strangely, the next time I opened the Update Manager - it presented me with a button to upgrade to 7.10!

I don't know if this will work for other people but just thought I'd share in case it does.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast