Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Since you're convinced that Ubuntu is not an acceptable option for you, and you've found better options, why are you still complaining about it here on Ubuntu forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by sastusbulbas View Post
    Sadly Ubuntu IS for Intel, well it seems that way for me as I have yet to find a Linux Distro that works out the box with my G4 PPC.
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ may be more suited to what you are wanting to do.

Edit, why do we have no statement on the apple users thread stating Ubuntu (or any other Linux) will NOT give a fully functioning computer?
    HUH? I have two very old imacs that I use for various tasks, and having them running on my network as dedicated servers. They've both got PPC Versions of Ubuntu running on them and they work just fine, and are fully functional for what I use them for. And they're very stable too.

If it's not flash or video content on internet its graphic resolution, or colour, or not recognising CD or DVD or hardware issues such as inoperatable dvd drives etc etc.
    Those are things which could be a problem on ANY operating system on ANY computer.

As for things more specific such as Flash. That's not really an Ubuntu issue. That's a VENDOR issue. If Adobe doesn't release a PPC version of the flash plugin, then you need to talk to Adobe. You can't blame Ubuntu or Linux in general for that. There are however people working to develop open source solutions for things like flash, which are making really good progressions in their development.

Evety year I come back to Linux to see if anything has changed and every year the same problems, if I was to put cost to the time I have wasted with Ubuntu on the PPC I could have bought a retail OS that works for less with less hassle and working out the box.
    Problems? What problems? Things like flash aren't an Ubuntu issue, thats an Adobe issue. As for anything else, you've not really posted any specific problems.

The guys making these OS's up need to decide if they are going to allow people to waste time money and resources on a not fully functional OS, or a sticky to highlight pitfalls arise when using with certain hardware so at least people can get a better idea of what to expect instead of wasting hours on something that cannot display Youtube vids or operate a CD/DVD drawer, or only has a resolution of 800+600.
    Ok. Now you're just ranting and not providing any useful information.

The fact is that Ubuntu, out of the box, with a clean installation is very stable and works for most peoples needs. Things like Flash and other third party applications and browser plugins are beyond the scope and responsibility of Ubuntu and it's developers. Yes it is available in the repositories, but that doesn't mean that the Ubuntu developers are the ones responsible for its development.

No one is forcing you to use Linux. Linux is about freedom of choice, and if it isn't a good choice for you, you are free to run something else.

- zipperback

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roym4 View Post
    Since you're convinced that Ubuntu is not an acceptable option for you, and you've found better options, why are you still complaining about it here on Ubuntu forums?
    Because I am replying to guys like you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zipperback View Post
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ may be more suited to what you are wanting to do.

HUH? I have two very old imacs that I use for various tasks, and having them running on my network as dedicated servers. They've both got PPC Versions of Ubuntu running on them and they work just fine, and are fully functional for what I use them for. And they're very stable too.

Those are things which could be a problem on ANY operating system on ANY computer.

As for things more specific such as Flash. That's not really an Ubuntu issue. That's a VENDOR issue. If Adobe doesn't release a PPC version of the flash plugin, then you need to talk to Adobe. You can't blame Ubuntu or Linux in general for that. There are however people working to develop open source solutions for things like flash, which are making really good progressions in their development.

Problems? What problems? Things like flash aren't an Ubuntu issue, thats an Adobe issue. As for anything else, you've not really posted any specific problems.

Ok. Now you're just ranting and not providing any useful information.

The fact is that Ubuntu, out of the box, with a clean installation is very stable and works for most peoples needs. Things like Flash and other third party applications and browser plugins are beyond the scope and responsibility of Ubuntu and it's developers. Yes it is available in the repositories, but that doesn't mean that the Ubuntu developers are the ones responsible for its development.

No one is forcing you to use Linux. Linux is about freedom of choice, and if it isn't a good choice for you, you are free to run something else.

- zipperback
    What a load of tosh Zipperback!

Like I stated out the box on my PC it's fine, but with regards to my G4 no solutions for DVD/CD replay came forth when I asked, no quick easy reply to graphics issues, no answer to my non operating DVD drawer.

Loads of community fixes for general problems but it is far from straight out the box in my opinion.

Quite simply my G4 graphics and dvd drive were fine with Apple and Windows software, the flash issue I can live with, as it's clear Ubuntu can't work around it. But clearly as a newbie looking for a OS that functions in a similar manner to Windows or OSX the majority of newbies would benefit from some statement with regards to known issues.

If I was aware Ubuntu did not offer full internet functionality I may not have wasted time installing it.
    It did not support Apple G4 AGP graphics back when 8.04 was released, I did expect that simple point to be a non issue after it being out so long, but for me fresh out the box to get round the resolution and colour issue I ended up installing a non stock ATI Radeon 9200 Mac PCI card that was supported.

As for asking a newbie to post specific problems and providing useful information? Personally I think that says a lot about the attitude and support newbies may get.

Fact,
    As a newbie I see the lack of any stickies showing work around for known PPC issues a problem and my mentioning it is providing useful information for anyone interested in helping those newbies that don't quite fit into the "gang". Instead of getting asked if they have used the "search" function.

The lack of any disclaimer on the PPC download info page is also an issue, as I believe many non techie newbies (yes we are not all Linux literate!) should be made aware that Ubuntu does not offer a work around or support video content on the web, and that any other issues could be mentioned.

I loaded PPC Ubuntu 9.10,
    I got colour issues.
    I got fixed 800+600 resolution.
    I got a DVD drawer that would not open and close properly.
    I got no CD playback or recognition.
    I got no DVD playback or recognition.
    I got no function/luck with formatting a second hard drive.
    I found out Ubuntu had no Internet video viewing.

Hardly an out of the box functional OS for someone looking for a cheap media playing internet machine.

I am only asking for more info and support to be better organized. I would like to run Linux on my Mac, if there was a sticky giving clear concise instruction aimed at newbies experiencing known issues it may save people searching through posts with no answers.

The forum is telling people where to download for PPC, support that with a disclaimer and people such as I may not waste time or "rant" as you claim.

So do you have any solutions to my problem or are you wasting time by ranting dribble such as this Quote; No one is forcing you to use Linux. Linux is about freedom of choice, and if it isn't a good choice for you, you are free to run something else.

I again will state, I chose freely to download Ubuntu 9.10 as it stated suitable for PPC with community support, with no mention of known issues or non function.
    It DID NOT work as I expected, and the community support I saw to be lacking. In as such it turned out I was free to waste my time.
    So I chose to buy an OS and that OS worked out the box with far more usability and function and none of the issues than Ubuntu gave me.

I now have Tiger 10.4.11 and Windows XP running on my old G4 PPC.

I would like to have the likes of Ubuntu or Mint running on my PPC, but do wonder if there will ever be a well documented site addressing issues with newbies in mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm perhaps somewhere between noob and novice. Installing Ubuntu on my powerpc machine wasn't my first linux install, or even the trickiest, and no, it didn't just work right out of the box. I started with Jaunty on my Dual-G4 FW800 PowerMac. I was able to get most things working by searching the forums. The toughest bit was getting the nonstandard GeForce 6600 AGP card recognized and working in X, which required generating and editing xorg.conf . I never got the SMP-specific kernel working correctly in jaunty - it would cause a hang on shutdown. I tried Karmic but I failed to get the video working and reverted to jaunty. Not a flawless experience, but I learned quite a bit about some of the inner workings of Linux and X, so I don't see it as time wasted.

I just did a clean install of Lucid and I can't get over the difference compared with earlier versions that I tried, This is the first time that I was able to get the live-cd/standard install to work. It identified all of my hardware and the install went without a hitch. All I needed to do was tweek yaboot.conf to have OS X as the default boot (that really should be an option during install) and add the SMP kernel variant with synaptic (and this time it also works without a hitch).

With the difficulties I was having, I was considering switching to Debian stable, but Lucid solved most or maybe all of the issues (though I'm still testing things). With the new Nouveau driver, even glxgears works. Obviously this may not go as well for other hardware combinations. Also,I tried this out first via version upgrades without much success (I couldn't get the keyboard working in X). But trying every out via the liveCD, checking to see that everything worked and proceeding to a clean Lucid install really worked this time for me right out of the box.

Are we 2nd class citizens with Ubuntu on PowerPC? Certainly, but I think that's to be expected since our installed base is so small and some of us are working on 8-year old hardware. Even Apple is abandoning us. I'm just happy I can load up a modern OS and do productive work. As long as Debian continues its support of the PowerPC architecture, I think we will continue getting new Ubuntu versions even though we are "only community supported". Now if someone could just code a decent flash player...

Like I stated out the box on my PC it's fine, but with regards to my G4 no solutions for DVD/CD replay came forth when I asked, no quick easy reply to graphics issues, no answer to my non operating DVD drawer.

Loads of community fixes for general problems but it is far from straight out the box in my opinion.

Quite simply my G4 graphics and dvd drive were fine with Apple and Windows software, the flash issue I can live with, as it's clear Ubuntu can't work around it. But clearly as a newbie looking for a OS that functions in a similar manner to Windows or OSX the majority of newbies would benefit from some statement with regards to known issues.

If I was aware Ubuntu did not offer full internet functionality I may not have wasted time installing it.
    It did not support Apple G4 AGP graphics back when 8.04 was released, I did expect that simple point to be a non issue after it being out so long, but for me fresh out the box to get round the resolution and colour issue I ended up installing a non stock ATI Radeon 9200 Mac PCI card that was supported.

As for asking a newbie to post specific problems and providing useful information? Personally I think that says a lot about the attitude and support newbies may get.

Fact,
    As a newbie I see the lack of any stickies showing work around for known PPC issues a problem and my mentioning it is providing useful information for anyone interested in helping those newbies that don't quite fit into the "gang". Instead of getting asked if they have used the "search" function.

The lack of any disclaimer on the PPC download info page is also an issue, as I believe many non techie newbies (yes we are not all Linux literate!) should be made aware that Ubuntu does not offer a work around or support video content on the web, and that any other issues could be mentioned.

I loaded PPC Ubuntu 9.10,
    I got colour issues.
    I got fixed 800+600 resolution.
    I got a DVD drawer that would not open and close properly.
    I got no CD playback or recognition.
    I got no DVD playback or recognition.
    I got no function/luck with formatting a second hard drive.
    I found out Ubuntu had no Internet video viewing.

Hardly an out of the box functional OS for someone looking for a cheap media playing internet machine.

I am only asking for more info and support to be better organized. I would like to run Linux on my Mac, if there was a sticky giving clear concise instruction aimed at newbies experiencing known issues it may save people searching through posts with no answers.

The forum is telling people where to download for PPC, support that with a disclaimer and people such as I may not waste time or "rant" as you claim.

So do you have any solutions to my problem or are you wasting time by ranting dribble such as this Quote; No one is forcing you to use Linux. Linux is about freedom of choice, and if it isn't a good choice for you, you are free to run something else.

I again will state, I chose freely to download Ubuntu 9.10 as it stated suitable for PPC with community support, with no mention of known issues or non function.
    It DID NOT work as I expected, and the community support I saw to be lacking. In as such it turned out I was free to waste my time.
    So I chose to buy an OS and that OS worked out the box with far more usability and function and none of the issues than Ubuntu gave me.

I now have Tiger 10.4.11 and Windows XP running on my old G4 PPC.

I would like to have the likes of Ubuntu or Mint running on my PPC, but do wonder if there will ever be a well documented site addressing issues with newbies in mind.
    Last edited by JoeMac42; May 7th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Beans

Dear sastusbulbas,

Sorry for jumping into an ongoing discussion and for being perhaps too philosophical and off-topic. I completely understand your frustration (believe me, I have been there), but I believe that:

1 – You are focusing too much on “free” as in “free beer” and not as in “free speech”.

This is not (only) about thinking on a “money+time vs. value” basis. There would be no FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) movement if everyone thought like that. This is about having control over the programs that your computer is running and sharing the benefits with others. I don’t care what is the cost of Window$ XP or Mac/OS. There are dozens of things that I cannot do with such systems, starting with (i) not becoming a locked-in client and (ii) knowing (or being able to know) what instructions the system is giving to my computer.

2 – In FOSS, you are not a client, you may simply elect to be a community member.

Here, you are in a completely different position. For good and for bad you are not a customer (unless you buy professional support from Canonical, which in any case would probably not be given for legacy PPC systems). You cannot, therefore, “demand” a disclaimer or a step-by-step guide. Volunteers are investing their free time assisting others. Here, no one has a “claim” to proper, fast and complete assistance. In any event, in my personal experience, community support is incredibly superior to any bloody call-center of any proprietary software vendor.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

P.S. – This thread, including your comments, was very useful for my decision to try Xubuntu 10.4 on my girlfriend’s old G4. Now I know what problems to expect. This is a concrete example of building knowledge on a community basis. You won’t find a complete and well organized handbook, but the information is there and finding it is a part of the learning process.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Thanks to powerpc developer's for taking the time to do this! If I can help out in some way let me know.

Thanks ubuntu-ppc team!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

and just to repost:

PowerPC wiki
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Releases including PowerPc ; torrents at bottom of page
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.04/release/

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

This directory contains only less-used images which are not mirrored widely. For the most frequently downloaded CD images, see releases.ubuntu.com. Please use a mirror if possible.

Beans

Hello, I am completely new to Ubuntu and Linux, but have several years working with Mac OS and Windows.

I recently acquired a couple G4 "Mirror Door" Macs, and I'd like to use them to start learning about Ubuntu since they won't run the most current Mac OS. (it runs 10.5.8 quite nicely, though)

I've downloaded Lucid Lynx and Karmic, made sure they were PPC versions, and they don't do anything on the Mac. I can't get the disk images to burn to CD with Disk Utility, neither will they show up in bootable volumes in the startup disk menu.

So, I downloaded 10.4 Lucid Lynx for Power PC on my Windows machine and burned a disk. The Mac will not boot from the CD no matter what I try.

Naturally, I hit up google for some answers, but the results mostly consist of "download version x and boot from cd, click install", indecipherable gibberish that is way above my level (and doesn't seem applicable in any case), or threads that start with posts such as this one that quickly devolve into trollery.

I am encouraged to see a lot of positive and helpful information in these forums, and hope to find some help; Is there anyone here who can tell me what I'm not doing or doing wrong in this process? What do I need to do to make a bootable CD? Is there something to adjust on my Mac? Does it matter what application I use to burn a CD, or what settings it has?

Any help or information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try booting with the "c" key pressed after the boing sound.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast