Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

So next question, how do you get bluetooth working on this piece?

Beans

Is it too much to ask that the Ubuntu download page include some link or notice of this so that people don't waste a half hour trying to figure out where PPC distros are hidden................... ?

Or as I almost did, just go away assuming that UBUNTU is Intel ..........

wishing happy turn.........

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zeroti View Post
    you can also overburn using hdiutil in the terminal on os x. (there are ways to do it on other systems too.) just cd into the directory with the iso and use the following command:

Code:
    hdiutil burn name-of-image.iso
    ...but replace "name-of-image.iso" with the file name of the iso you are trying to burn. you can burn up to an additional 70 MB.
    How do you set the burn speed in terminal?
    HP Presario SR1410NX 2.8GHz P4 1MB L2 533MHz FSB 2GB DDR 400MHz RAM PCI Radeon HD 5450 512MB 64-bit DDR3 Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by penguirl View Post
    How do you set the burn speed in terminal?
    to find this out, type "man hdiutil" in the terminal and hit enter. this shows the manual page for hdiutil. then type "/speed" and hit enter. this searches the man page for "speed". this shows that you need to use the "-speed" option. looking back up at the top, it looks like the format would be:

hdiutil burn -speed 2 name-of-image.iso

according to the man page you can use other numbers besides 2, including "max", which is the default option. to stop viewing the man page, type "q".
    Last edited by zeroti; April 8th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by subslug View Post
    So next question, how do you get bluetooth working on this piece?
    To begin with, this should really go in another thread and not be tacked on to "where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC".

Sadly, it *did* work in older releases [Dapper Drake comes to mind]. However, Ubuntu's insistence on always having the latest bells and whistles means that stuff that used to work is now broken - even if you stick to LTS releases [which theoretically shouldn't have bleeding edge packages]. After beating my head against the wall numerous time trying to get Bluetooth working under Hardy on my PowerBook i finally gave up.

Beans

If I where to install a version of PPC ubuntu on my iBook G4, could I hold option during startup, and boot either OSX or ubuntu from there? A better question would be: Can I keep OSX and still install Ubuntu as a dual boot?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by History500 View Post
    If I where to install a version of PPC ubuntu on my iBook G4, could I hold option during startup, and boot either OSX or ubuntu from there? A better question would be: Can I keep OSX and still install Ubuntu as a dual boot?
    Answer to question 1: not exactly

Answer to question 2: yes

Details: Linux can't trust the boot loader from any other OS, so of course it installs it's own. On the PPC machines, it is called 'yaboot'. Instead of holding OPT, it pops up a text menu. By default it is set to dual-boot OSX and Ubuntu, with options to boot from CD, etc. It is easily expandable/configurable, so you can triple- or quadruple-boot if you've got the room on your hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by basumarmi1510 View Post
    Is it too much to ask that the Ubuntu download page include some link or notice of this so that people don't waste a half hour trying to figure out where PPC distros are hidden................... ?

Or as I almost did, just go away assuming that UBUNTU is Intel ..........

wishing happy turn.........
    Sadly Ubuntu IS for Intel, well it seems that way for me as I have yet to find a Linux Distro that works out the box with my G4 PPC.

Whereas any old PC for £20 or less seems quite capable of working results with Ubuntu straight.

Edit, why do we have no statement on the apple users thread stating Ubuntu (or any other Linux) will NOT give a fully functioning computer? If it's not flash or video content on internet its graphic resolution, or colour, or not recognising CD or DVD or hardware issues such as inoperatable dvd drives etc etc. Evety year I come back to Linux to see if anything has changed and every year the same problems, if I was to put cost to the time I have wasted with Ubuntu on the PPC I could have bought a retail OS that works for less with less hassle and working out the box.

The guys making these OS's up need to decide if they are going to allow people to waste time money and resources on a not fully functional OS, or a sticky to highlight pitfalls arise when using with certain hardware so at least people can get a better idea of what to expect instead of wasting hours on something that cannot display Youtube vids or operate a CD/DVD drawer, or only has a resolution of 800+600.
    Last edited by sastusbulbas; April 20th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

I agree with your main conclusion, but question this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by sastusbulbas View Post
    Evety year I come back to Linux to see if anything has changed and every year the same problems, if I was to put cost to the time I have wasted with Ubuntu on the PPC I could have bought a retail OS that works for less with less hassle and working out the box.
    Just what commercial OS were you planning on getting? Retail stores have been X86 only for years. Sadly, business developers gave up on us long ago. Your choices now seem to be to restore whatever OS the machine shipped with, or see what the hobbyists have to offer.

In a way, it's not a bad situation to be in. I experienced things the other way when Commodore/Amiga went out of business. In my case, i was quite happy with the OS but the hardware wasn't working anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I agree with your main conclusion, but question this statement:

Just what commercial OS were you planning on getting? Retail stores have been X86 only for years. Sadly, business developers gave up on us long ago. Your choices now seem to be to restore whatever OS the machine shipped with, or see what the hobbyists have to offer.

In a way, it's not a bad situation to be in. I experienced things the other way when Commodore/Amiga went out of business. In my case, i was quite happy with the OS but the hardware wasn't working anymore.
    Can get new or used Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) or XP Pro (32bit or 64bit) or Apple Tiger or Leopard and such from eBay every so often for around £30 to £80, I bought OSX 10.4 Tiger family pack (5 users) for £60.

Some time back I bought XP Pro for £30 odd retail new and unused (from an eBay store with plenty of new copies) and Windows 7 Ultimate I bought for £80 new unused unopened, I have seen Windows 7 from £60 retail and Snow Leopard from £32 retail all new unused from eBay stores. For old G3's and such Panther is usually availale somewhere for around £30, Tiger for around £60

My upstairs PC is W7 64bit (I may change the upstairs PC to Ubuntu or Mint seeing as PPC is not Mac compatible) my downstairs PC is W7 64bit, my Mac will now be Tiger 10.4

Edit; Received my Tiger OSX 10.4 yesterday, installed it and updated to 10.4.11 with all updates up to date, and also installed a Genuine copy of Windows XP as a virtual PC within my Mac OS. The Mac is working well with XP a little slow as it's running as virtual. None of the issues I experienced with Ubuntu raised their heads.

Take your hourly rate of pay, multiply your hours spent finding out Ubuntu does not work and that gives you a rough idea of Ubuntu's cost. Time is not free.
    Last edited by sastusbulbas; April 29th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast