Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    I have seen a lot of people who like to install Linux on PPC based Macs but they don't know where to start. Let me tell you one thing, Ubuntu is not officially supporting powerpc since a long time. I tried many things on PPC based Macs and I am most satisfied with Debian now. I run Debian Lenny on a Pismo G3/400, which works well, but don't expect big graphical things there with such hardware. I also know that Debian runs well on ever older beige Macs using BootX (I did it). I have a website dedicated to Linux on Apple Macs. So maybe you will find some nice info for your computer too.

Good luck all of you
    Jeroen

http://mac.linux.be
    Many distros have communtiy supported projects such as respins and there are every bit as polished as the offically support . In terms of PPC support, Ubuntu is no different. (BTW, I use Debian Squeeze on my iMac, and sometimes you want newer application support.)

In my opinion, people should know of other distros such as OPENSuSE, Fedora and Debian and their benefits and how it stacks up to Ubuntu in order to make the best decisions for themselves.
    James (Registered Ubuntu User #19236)

iMac G3 350Mhz Summer 2000, running Debian Squeeze
    Compaq Presario
    M2000 running Ubuntu Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

What a shame the n9.10 CD .iso file does not actually fit on a CD (705 MB) and is therefore refused by my burning software

If only I could get my iBook loaded with pretty much any OS right now... that would help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Re: Where to download Ubuntu for PowerPC and other frequently asked questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy4041 View Post
    Many distros have communtiy supported projects such as respins and there are every bit as polished as the offically support . In terms of PPC support, Ubuntu is no different.
    Meh. The last few releases i've tried on my PowerBook have all suffered from various degrees of broken-ness. This includes regression in things that used to work in early versions, such as Bluetooth; Gutsy wouldn't accept a network connection from either WiFi or ethernet; etc. My two cents worth is that community supported releases such as this should ignore the release date and do more testing. The last comment about how the Karmic Desktop iso for PPC doesn't fit on a standard 700 MeBi CD shows a continuing problem in this stuff being released regardless of whether it works or not. In my mind habitually putting out non-functional releases will only undermine community interest in the distro.

@Vlammetje: Try the Alternate iso, it's 14 MeBi smaller.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vlammetje View Post
    What a shame the n9.10 CD .iso file does not actually fit on a CD (705 MB) and is therefore refused by my burning software

If only I could get my iBook loaded with pretty much any OS right now... that would help.
    Exactly the situation I'm in!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't think that there's a powerpc version for ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter00 View Post
    I don't think that there's a powerpc version for ubuntu
    There isn't? I'll have to let me wife know that. She'll be disappointed, since she's been using Karmic Koala on her old G4 eMac since it came out at the end of October.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    There isn't? I'll have to let me wife know that. She'll be disappointed, since she's been using Karmic Koala on her old G4 eMac since it came out at the end of October.
    Actually, Ubuntu is for PPC as well. (But you can only get support through the community forums here.)

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.10/release/
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/po...-live/current/
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/po...armic/release/

These links are for the latest versions of ubuntu, kubuntu, and xubuntu.

Enjoy!

Beans

was able to burn it with k3b and overburn selected, nero and brasero would not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Encountered the same problem with trying to burn to a CD-R. However, it works fine if you burn the ISO to a DVD. Use the " - " DVD media.

Beans

you can also overburn using hdiutil in the terminal on os x. (there are ways to do it on other systems too.) just cd into the directory with the iso and use the following command:

Code:
    hdiutil burn name-of-image.iso
    ...but replace "name-of-image.iso" with the file name of the iso you are trying to burn. you can burn up to an additional 70 MB.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast