Thread: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

Beans

Question [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

I'd like to install Lubuntu on my iBook but I've had a hard time pulling files from it. I've tried to use Gparted to partition an external HD in Fat32 to drag-and-drop but with a lot of files it does not work. For some reasons Gparted will not allow me to make a partition in HFS. I'd burn the files onto discs but I can't seem to get the optical drive to burn.

I noticed people recommend SuperDuper and Carbon Copy but that for making a complete backup. All I want to do is take my core files from this iBook and move it to my main laptop which runs Linux Mint. There's no point in a dual-boot considering the age of this Mac and it only has a 40gb harddrive.

So what's the best way to transfer files from a PPC Mac to a Linux machine?

Beans

Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

Network the computers? Assuming your iBook has OS X, enable Remote Login in System Preferences --> Sharing and then use gFTP or a similar application on your Mint laptop to transfer the files.

Beans

I tried to transfer the files using "scp -r" command in the Mac terminal. However I am getting this error

ssh: connect to host IP Adresss port 22:Operation timed out lost connection
    '

Terminal version 1.4.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cool3 View Post
    There's no point in a dual-boot considering the age of this Mac and it only has a 40gb harddrive.
    Well, it's a lot of fun... And works well.

Just my $2/100

Beans

I was able to partition an external HD after reaizing I needed to download the hfs formatting software for Gparted. I was able to transfer files onto a partitioned hfs+ part of the external HD once I formatted it.

@rachel-platte - I like Macs but at this point it seems Linux is the best option for the iBook considering I don't want to have to buy a install disk for a later Mac OS which would be outdated and unsupported at this point anyway.

I made a disk image using the disk utility in case I don't like my forray into Linux on a PPC Mac.

Beans
    Distro

I was able to partition an external HD after reaizing I needed to download the hfs formatting software for Gparted. I was able to transfer files onto a partitioned hfs+ part of the external HD once I formatted it.

@rachel-platte - I like Macs but at this point it seems Linux is the best option for the iBook considering I don't want to have to buy a install disk for a later Mac OS which would be outdated and unsupported at this point anyway.

I made a disk image using the disk utility in case I don't like my forray into Linux on a PPC Mac.
    I thought you were going to keep OS X on it. My bad.

Beans

The Max OS X installation is so bloated I only have 7gb, not much space for a dual boot.

Beans
    Distro

The Max OS X installation is so bloated I only have 7gb, not much space for a dual boot.
    Big thumb drive?