Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    18

    Question [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    I'd like to install Lubuntu on my iBook but I've had a hard time pulling files from it. I've tried to use Gparted to partition an external HD in Fat32 to drag-and-drop but with a lot of files it does not work. For some reasons Gparted will not allow me to make a partition in HFS. I'd burn the files onto discs but I can't seem to get the optical drive to burn.

    I noticed people recommend SuperDuper and Carbon Copy but that for making a complete backup. All I want to do is take my core files from this iBook and move it to my main laptop which runs Linux Mint. There's no point in a dual-boot considering the age of this Mac and it only has a 40gb harddrive.

    So what's the best way to transfer files from a PPC Mac to a Linux machine?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    Network the computers? Assuming your iBook has OS X, enable Remote Login in System Preferences --> Sharing and then use gFTP or a similar application on your Mint laptop to transfer the files.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    18

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    I tried to transfer the files using "scp -r" command in the Mac terminal. However I am getting this error

    ssh: connect to host IP Adresss port 22:Operation timed out lost connection
    '

    Terminal version 1.4.6

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by cool3 View Post
    There's no point in a dual-boot considering the age of this Mac and it only has a 40gb harddrive.
    Well, it's a lot of fun... And works well.

    Just my $2/100

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    18

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    I was able to partition an external HD after reaizing I needed to download the hfs formatting software for Gparted. I was able to transfer files onto a partitioned hfs+ part of the external HD once I formatted it.

    @rachel-platte - I like Macs but at this point it seems Linux is the best option for the iBook considering I don't want to have to buy a install disk for a later Mac OS which would be outdated and unsupported at this point anyway.

    I made a disk image using the disk utility in case I don't like my forray into Linux on a PPC Mac.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by cool3 View Post
    I was able to partition an external HD after reaizing I needed to download the hfs formatting software for Gparted. I was able to transfer files onto a partitioned hfs+ part of the external HD once I formatted it.

    @rachel-platte - I like Macs but at this point it seems Linux is the best option for the iBook considering I don't want to have to buy a install disk for a later Mac OS which would be outdated and unsupported at this point anyway.

    I made a disk image using the disk utility in case I don't like my forray into Linux on a PPC Mac.
    I thought you were going to keep OS X on it. My bad.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Beans
    18

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    The Max OS X installation is so bloated I only have 7gb, not much space for a dual boot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: [PPC] Best Way to Transfer Files from iBook to Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by cool3 View Post
    The Max OS X installation is so bloated I only have 7gb, not much space for a dual boot.
    Big thumb drive?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •