Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by chochem View Post
    I used this to successfully install Feisty. I know I ought to have thought of it myself but I think a mention of "have your IP-address-gateway-dns-server-info at the ready" should be included in the howto. That being said the installation went like a charm once I had rebooted and collected the needed info.

The Windows bit is perfect: you run it (takes two seconds) and don't have to do anything part from OK'ing a reboot. Once you're done and boot into Windows again, you're presented with an uninstaller which works just as elegantly simply. As for the actuall installation process, it's pretty much the same as using the text-based alternate install cd. As long as that doesn't frighten you, I'll definitely recommend this.

One slight annoyance was that the installation process was halted halfway through to ask what desktop was required (ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/etc.) I would have prefered to see this at the start with the other installation choices so that the installer could be left on its own for the some 30 minutes the process took.
    It does not work for me, I am trying to install Ubuntu in a 'Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop' with Win98SE 0n it, No CD-Rom, 64 MB RAM, it has 2 partitions Win98SE uses 2 GB and the other is a 7 GB for now as logical partition, all it does is bounce back to windows asking if want to unistall 'Wubi-7.04-netboot'.
    Please advice. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It does not work for me, I am trying to install Ubuntu in a 'Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop' with Win98SE 0n it, No CD-Rom, 64 MB RAM, it has 2 partitions Win98SE uses 2 GB and the other is a 7 GB for now as logical partition, all it does is bounce back to windows asking if want to unistall 'Wubi-7.04-netboot'.
    Please advice. Thanks.
    Hmm... is there a C:\grub or C:\grldr or C:\menu.lst file? In C:\config.sys, do you see anything saying "grub", "ubuntu", or "grldr"? I never tested this on Win9x, so I don't think I can really help you, unless it's an issue with the timeout, have you checked C:\config.sys and have the timeout set to 10 or more?

Anyhow, this wubi-netboot method is kinda becoming obsolete, you might want to just use the standard Wubi (or Lubi, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442597 if you're using linux) to install,we've already incorporated most of this version's features into that, see http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...-US/index.html for the site and http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234 for the forums

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks 'tuxcantfly', if this is obsolete i will go for the 'standard wubi' option, I will let you know how this goes, I'll see you in the newer thread. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

Just subscribing to the post this looks awesome
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans

hiya, i'm stuck here;

2. Click "OK" to reboot

3. Select "Ubuntu" from the menu list

when i click OK to reboot, it reboots back to Windows like it always did, with an uninstall programme popping up,

select Ubuntu from what menu list?
    where is this menu?

cheers for any help,

Jordan

Beans
    Distro

whoops, seems like your timeout is set to 0. Open C:\boot.ini, and find the line which says "timeout 0" or "timeout somenumber", and replace whatever that number is with 30, then it should show up.

PS, which windows version are you using?
    PS, you might want to check out Wubi (for windows users) or Lubi (for linux users), as they have most of the functionality of this already, and it might work better for you, the only advantage this one has left over Wubi/Lubi is that it installs to a real partition, rather than a loopmounted partition. Wubi is at http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...-US/index.html and Lubi is at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441918

Beans

OK, still having problems, all i want is to have a go of Ubuntu!

Had a look for that boot file in C:/ - there is a file called boot but it seems to contain absolutely nothing and is 0kb in size, so no timeout to replace with 30

downloaded wubi installer, got all the way to the end eventually where it asked me to reboot, i did so, straight back into Windows (2000 i think)

does anyone know what the problem is here?

all help is very much appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Had a look for that boot file in C:/ - there is a file called boot but it seems to contain absolutely nothing and is 0kb in size, so no timeout to replace with 30
    Seems like your boot.ini isn't stored on C:\, did you check D:\ or the other drives for a boot.ini file? Find a boot.ini file (make sure you have hidden and system files showing) that looks something like this:

Code:
    [boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    and if the timeout says 0, replace it with 30, and at the end put in this line:

Code:
    C:\grldr="Ubuntu"
    Also make sure that grldr is in C:\; if not, find it from another drive and copy it to C:\grldr

Beans

there is a file on C:/ called boot.ini, but it is empty, could i just copy and paste that code in?

D:/ is the CD drive

grldr is stored in C:/

Beans
    Distro

there is a file on C:/ called boot.ini, but it is empty, could i just copy and paste that code in?

D:/ is the CD drive

grldr is stored in C:/
    That sounds rather strange... are you using a pristine install of Windows 2000, or has the installation been upgraded from other versions? Well anyhow, since the boot.ini file is empty, pasting in the lines shouldn't do any harm, though if that's the case, it probably won't fix the issue either, though there shouldn't be much harm in trying... Are you sure you're using windows 2000, not ME or some other non-NT windows? Is there a C:\config.sys file? Try editing that one if it exists...

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast