Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by quypham007 View Post
    Thanks for adding CentOS 5.1 in!!!! Ubuntu based Linux may be known well here, CentOS rules the SMB and Corporate sectors I work in because it IS Red Hat MINUS the logos. Same exact RPMS, built from same RPMS, etc - just logos changed. It is very nice also. I basically use it because it IS what pays the bills - Microsoft and Red Hat contract work I do pays the bills

Tuxcantfly - excellent work and options you have provided the community with your useful tool. Any possibility is having a freedos version or even DOS (for machines with no OS) - I know "noone" may be using DOS/FreeDOS anymore, but what if someone does not want to install Debian (due to the longer more elaboarate install process) just so they can install UNETBOOTIN. With DOS based install - it just format /s on the C: drive. And then just copy a DOS/FreeDOS version of UNETBOOTIN over the C: drive and execute, reboot, and voila (so much faster than Debian install)...to your chosen Liunux distro ready for installation...just an idea. Better yet, an option to install/execute from a Linux based LiveCD - that would be even better. Thanks again!
    Sorry, don't have access to DOS at the moment (nor do I know anything about its bootloader), but if all you want to do is initiate a Linux install starting from DOS, try loadlin.exe (it lets you load the LILO bootloader, which in turn can load the kernel and initrd for the netboot kernel and initrd for installation), or if you prefer GRUB over LILO, supposedly "grub.exe" from the GRUB4DOS package can do the same thing; just copy over the menu.lst, kernel, and initrd from UNetbootin, and load them with grub.exe from DOS.

Beans

Hey tuxcanfly, yesterday I sucessfully installed CentOS with your program.
    I only had a little problem with the grub, I installed it on an old RedHat and it complained about not finding the root on the hardisk (hd01-1) or something like that, I edited the grub command to be right for the PC, it was (hd1,1) and then it booted to the unetbootin, and again complained about the same problem, so I fixed again the grub command and then all started well and I completed the installation sucessfully.
    I think you need to check that one.
    But anyway, a minor problem, I managed to overcome, your piece of software is awesome, it saves me the distro download time and the CD burning, and also very useful for computers with no CD.
    Thanks a lot!

Beans

I just tried installing Ubuntu using this method I think everything went like it was suppose to, however, whenever I launch Ubuntu there is no GUI and it's all DOS Prompt style. Sorry I'm a newb to Linux so I'm sure there is something wrong on my part. Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zivley View Post
    Hey tuxcanfly, yesterday I sucessfully installed CentOS with your program.
    I only had a little problem with the grub, I installed it on an old RedHat and it complained about not finding the root on the hardisk (hd01-1) or something like that, I edited the grub command to be right for the PC, it was (hd1,1) and then it booted to the unetbootin, and again complained about the same problem, so I fixed again the grub command and then all started well and I completed the installation sucessfully.
    I think you need to check that one.
    But anyway, a minor problem, I managed to overcome, your piece of software is awesome, it saves me the distro download time and the CD burning, and also very useful for computers with no CD.
    Thanks a lot!
    It probably has to do with changes in the syntax of the "sed" command since the older versions included in old Red Hat releases, so I'm afraid I can't fix it to work on older releases without introducing incompatibility issues with certain newer sed versions, or introducing additional dependencies on something like perl or python to do the stream editing (which will in turn lead to the same problem of some distros having different versions or not bundling the tool at all).

Also, what Redhat version is this (It worked fine when I tested on an old Fedora Core install, which should theoretically be similar to the original Redhat), and are you using a specialized partition layout (are you using a dedicated /boot)? Partition layout might also be contributing to the issue.

I just tried installing Ubuntu using this method I think everything went like it was suppose to, however, whenever I launch Ubuntu there is no GUI and it's all DOS Prompt style. Sorry I'm a newb to Linux so I'm sure there is something wrong on my part. Help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    I think you forgot to mark one of the desktop packages (highlight and press space) when you were installing (they need to show up as marked, with an asterisk next to them, before you press enter). Since you've already installed the system, though, just login and enter the following commands (enter your password when prompted) to download and install the GUI desktop package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Then reboot and it should boot into a nice GUI. Replace "ubuntu-desktop" with "xubuntu-desktop" if installing Xubuntu, same procedure with the other Ubuntu variants.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; December 18th, 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Happy holidays folks, nothing like cranking out shell scripts and tinkering with MBRs over winter break... anyhow...

I've released a new version of UNetbootin, shell-script (.sh) version, now with 2 oft-requested features:

1. Ability to install from a liveCD or other live-media (liveUSB) install, as well as the ability to specify a target partition and (optionally) grub or lilo as the bootloader (this is the installmode=nohost option)
    2. Ability to install to a USB drive in order to create a bootable-USB-netboot installer (this is the installmode=usbdrive option)

As for the original behavior (chainload from the host hard-drive grub installation), that can be accessed through the installmode=tohost option.

Anyhow, here's the syntax and options for running (This example is for Fedora 8, but I've also uploaded the new .sh builds for Ubuntu 7.10, openSUSE 10.3, Debian 4.0, CentOS 5.1, Arch Linux, Mandriva 2008, and Slackware 12.0):

If you are running this script from a host, hard-drive Linux install, and want the GRUB bootloader installed in /boot to be used, enter:

Code:
    ./unetbootin-fedora8rev49.sh installmode=tohost

Otherwise, if you are running this script from a liveCD or other live, non-hard drive media, or the installmode=tohost option fails, or you want to specify your target partition (targetpartition=/dev/sda1) or (optionally) the bootloader (bootloader=grub or bootloader=lilo), enter, in addition to the targetpartition and formatpartition options:

Code:
    ./unetbootin-fedora8rev49.sh installmode=nohost targetpartition=/dev/sda1 formatpartition=yes

Otherwise, if you want to install to a USB drive, enter, in addition to the targetpartition and formatpartition options:

Code:
    ./unetbootin-fedora8rev49.sh installmode=usbdrive targetpartition=/dev/sda1 formatpartition=yes
    Ususal download spot at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; December 24th, 2007 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Also, just added a version for booting FreeDOS, for running those pesky DOS-only recovery and bios-flashing tools some OEMs ship on computers.

Usual download location at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    It works the same way as the standard netboot install does, only without any cds needed, so if netboot works, this will work fine too. After install, you'll just have a plain ubuntu install.
    I think this is what I need/want. I jut have one question: Will I end up with a dual-boot machine, i.e., able to to run either Windows or Ubuntu?

If so, I'd rather have a pure Ubtuntu machine. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Eric Weir
    Decatur, GA USA
    Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Weir View Post
    I think this is what I need/want. I jut have one question: Will I end up with a dual-boot machine, i.e., able to to run either Windows or Ubuntu?

If so, I'd rather have a pure Ubtuntu machine. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Yes, it's possible to just have a pure Ubuntu machine; if you select the "resize partitions and install Ubuntu in free space" option at the partitioning stage you'll end up with a dual-boot install, and if you select the "erase all partitions" option you'll end up with pure Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Yes, it's possible to just have a pure Ubuntu machine; if you select the "resize partitions and install Ubuntu in free space" option at the partitioning stage you'll end up with a dual-boot install, and if you select the "erase all partitions" option you'll end up with pure Ubuntu.
    Good, that's what I want.

Another question, that perhaps should be posted under another subject heading. I did not do the install on my first Ubuntu system. I've heard it recommended that you have separate partitions for the operating system and your documents -- or maybe it's your home folder -- especially since the practice of "mounting" renders the partioning transparent as far as the user is concerned.

I'm assuming, if the above is right, that the patitioning process is pretty straightforward. On a 40 GB hard drive, would a 10/30 GB division be adequate? [Almost all my files are text files. Almost none are graphic.]

One poster to the orginal thread recommended having your "IP address-gateway-dns server info" ready when you start the installation process. I take it the addresses under the Windows installation will be retained in the Unbuntu installation?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
    Eric Weir
    Decatur, GA USA
    Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Weir View Post
    Good, that's what I want.

Another question, that perhaps should be posted under another subject heading. I did not do the install on my first Ubuntu system. I've heard it recommended that you have separate partitions for the operating system and your documents -- or maybe it's your home folder -- especially since the practice of "mounting" renders the partioning transparent as far as the user is concerned.

I'm assuming, if the above is right, that the patitioning process is pretty straightforward. On a 40 GB hard drive, would a 10/30 GB division be adequate? [Almost all my files are text files. Almost none are graphic.]
    The way I usually do it is keep 8GB for system (/) and the rest for documents (/home). You won't need any more than 8 unless you're installing multiple desktop environments (full ubuntu system install is just 3.5GB), so 8/32 is how I'd go

One poster to the orginal thread recommended having your "IP address-gateway-dns server info" ready when you start the installation process. I take it the addresses under the Windows installation will be retained in the Unbuntu installation?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
    You only need IP address/gateway/dns server info if you're on a static connection. No, they won't be retained from Windows, you'll need to jot down the info if you have a static address and input it when prompted (since the downloading and installing portion occurs while outside of Windows, so the Windows registry/info isn't accessible)

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast