Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by andreas_m View Post
    Hi,

everything runs well,except i can't fling off the Linux boot loader,despite the fact I've already uninstall it when i log in my Windows XP Home.

Any help!!!!
    Edit C:\boot.ini (if you can't see it, make sure to enable the show hidden files option, uncheck the read-only/system properties before editing it), and remove the line that says "C:\ubnldr.mbr=UNetbootin" or so (the last line).

PS could you post the contents of the boot.ini file prior to editing it, so that I can see what might've went wrong with the uninstallation process?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Edit C:\boot.ini (if you can't see it, make sure to enable the show hidden files option, uncheck the read-only/system properties before editing it), and remove the line that says "C:\ubnldr.mbr=UNetbootin" or so (the last line).

PS could you post the contents of the boot.ini file prior to editing it, so that I can see what might've went wrong with the uninstallation process?
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

I don't see anything refering to UNetbootin.Any suggestions???

Beans
    Distro

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

I don't see anything refering to UNetbootin.Any suggestions???
    What do you refer to by "i can't fling off the Linux boot loader"? Are you trying to remove GRUB itself (so that you can no longer boot into Ubuntu)? If so, boot up a Windows XP recovery cd, go into recovery mode, type in "fixmbr", that'll remove GRUB and leave you booting into only Windows.

Beans

What do you refer to by "i can't fling off the Linux boot loader"? Are you trying to remove GRUB itself (so that you can no longer boot into Ubuntu)? If so, boot up a Windows XP recovery cd, go into recovery mode, type in "fixmbr", that'll remove GRUB and leave you booting into only Windows.
    I mean when i reboot then first appears the Linux bootloader and then i choose other OS so windows bootloader appears.
    Simply i wish to have one bootloader with three options: Ubuntu,Windows XP,Windows Server 2003.

Is that possible???

Beans
    Distro

I mean when i reboot then first appears the Linux bootloader and then i choose other OS so windows bootloader appears.
    Simply i wish to have one bootloader with three options: Ubuntu,Windows XP,Windows Server 2003.

Is that possible???
    NTLDR (the Windows boot manager) can't boot Linux, therefore the only way to get all 3 booted from 1 bootloader is to use GRUB and remove the Windows bootloader options. Therefore, remove that last line in your boot.ini (so that when you attempt to boot Windows XP it goes straight into it), then edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst (as root) in Ubuntu, and add this line at the end (after the Windows XP line):

Code:
    title Windows 2003
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    boot
    If that doesn't work to get Windows 2003 booted, see here (or search these forums for "GRUB map disk", "GRUB multiple windows", etc)
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; February 1st, 2008 at 09:22 PM.

Beans

I've got an odd problem, I messed up a gutsy installation by uninstalling gnome (no idea how, must have been half-asleep.
    My system has an XP partition and a gutsy partition (w/ swap, etc.). I used a program I found online called MBRFIX.exe to get rid of grub (no recovery disks on me at the moment), but now the interesting part: boot.ini does nothing! It reads as follows:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=c:\ubnldr.mbr
    [operating systems]
    c:\ubnldr.mbr="UNetbootin-ubuntu710x64rev99"
    But in reality there is a 0 second timeout and it shows two operating systems:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsft Windows
    The second option seems to start up a terminal (edit: windows cmd) while the first boots up Windows XP normally. Neither entry is in the boot.ini, nor does UNetbootin show up at all. I'm quite confused. How can I get UNetbootin to show up?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jenra; February 3rd, 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Beans

Install error and PCLinuxOS

I tried installing Ubuntu but I got error. After choosing "Ubuntu" at the NTLDR boot loader option, I got error messages something like:
    Code:
    Try (hd0,0) ...
    Try (hd0,1) ...
    Try (hd0,2)...
    Looks like it did not find grub (?). So, instead I installed using Netboot approach from this wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...on/FromWindows.

We all know that PCLinuxOS has been on the top list of distrowatch.com for some months now, so I wonder if you have a plan to support its installation via UNetbootin.
    - [HTML=www.ubuntu.com]Ubuntu[/HTML] - [HTML=http://mugos.ums.ac.id]Solo mirror[/HTML]

Beans
    Distro

Re: Install error and PCLinuxOS

Quote Originally Posted by hums07 View Post
    I tried installing Ubuntu but I got error. After choosing "Ubuntu" at the NTLDR boot loader option, I got error messages something like:
    Code:
    Try (hd0,0) ...
    Try (hd0,1) ...
    Try (hd0,2)...
    Looks like it did not find grub (?). So, instead I installed using Netboot approach from this wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...on/FromWindows.
    Yes, that's a GRLDR/GRUB4DOS-related boot error. Strange, though, that it worked when you used the manual instructions, as they do essentially the same thing as UNetbootin. Probably, sporadic file fragmentation/corruption was responsible for the issue; a defragmentation and chkdsk /f should fix the issue if you ever encounter it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by hums07 View Post
    We all know that PCLinuxOS has been on the top list of distrowatch.com for some months now, so I wonder if you have a plan to support its installation via UNetbootin.
    Done. PCLinuxOS builds are at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=261499
    This version works a bit differenly from the previous UNetbootin builds (since PCLinuxOS is a liveCD-only distro), so make sure to read the installation instructions at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html (middle of the page, titled "PCLinuxOS Instructions")
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; February 5th, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Beans

Re: Install error and PCLinuxOS

Yes, that's a GRLDR/GRUB4DOS-related boot error. Strange, though, that it worked when you used the manual instructions, as they do essentially the same thing as UNetbootin. Probably, sporadic file fragmentation/corruption was responsible for the issue; a defragmentation and chkdsk /f should fix the issue if you ever encounter it in the future.
    This info might be useful to you. When I installed Ubuntu using manual approach I used grub4dos version 0.4.1pre22. I failed when I used version 0.4.3, it gave the same error message as above.
    - [HTML=www.ubuntu.com]Ubuntu[/HTML] - [HTML=http://mugos.ums.ac.id]Solo mirror[/HTML]

Beans

I bought a 2nd-hand with 7.10 pre-installed (so not my personal/preferred configs etc). I played with it, like it, but now want a fresh install.

Is UNetbootin a viable option to do this and if so, how to completely remove the first?

Thanks for your time.

Lootje2

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast