Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by defenestratos View Post
    hugo@hugo-laptop:~/Desktop$ ./unetbootin-linux-216
    ./unetbootin-linux-216: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (require d by ./unetbootin-linux-216)
    hugo@hugo-laptop:~/Desktop$
    Yes, that's exactly what I was pointing out above.

Beans

Hi.
    I am kinda new to linux so I don't know what Im doing. When i ran UNetbootin i choose Xubuntu, went down to install on my hd and clicked OK or watever. Everything went well until after I rebooted. An error message said that it cannot find grldr in all drives. BTW Ive copied the latest menu.lst and grldr in the root of my drive. What did i do wrong??

Beans

Alright.... So I chose Ubuntu 8.04 (Nonlive)and it downloaded and installed fine, but when I rebooted to select 'UNetBootin' right after the boot up/logo screen, it flashed something, hit 'ESC' to go to menu, and if you don't in the 3 seconds it allows me, it flashes some more then my compute restarts.

What's going on?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    I'm not sure whether it'll work, since I don't think the eeepc uses standard GRUB as a bootloader (but then again, I don't have an eeepc so I may be wrong).
    Good news, It worked! I got to the installer, but aborted for lack of time, I'll fdo it in the weekend.

In a nutshell: the eeepc uses unionfs to merge a "factory installation", stored in /dev/sda1, and a "user modified partition", /dev/sda2. Unetbootin installs everything in /dev/sda2, which is not seen by grub by default. What I did was to edit grub on boot, and edit one entry to make it look exactly like the one written by unetbootin in /dev/sda2/ (except for the root, which needs to be the second partition). That's it.

Beans

Okay, I let it sit at the 'Booting UnetBootin' Screen for about 5 minutes, and an error popped up.

find --set-root /unetbtin/ubnkern

ERROR 15: FILE NOT FOUND

Ehh... Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grantham View Post
    Okay, I let it sit at the 'Booting UnetBootin' Screen for about 5 minutes, and an error popped up.

Ehh... Any suggestions?
    It looks like the root partition is misspecified, you could try editing the UnetBootin entry in grub, and specify a different root. No idea why this is happening though, maybe you can specify more details (what type of install you are attempting, etc)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Grantham View Post

Ehh... Any suggestions?
    I presume the installation type is Hard Disk, and that you're running from Windows, on an NTFS filesystem. It's probably some issue with GRUB4DOS; it sometimes fails on certain, generally somewhat fragmented or otherwise corrupted NTFS filesystems. Try copying the installed folders/files (C:\unetbtin, C:\ubnldr*) to your other partitions if you have any. Otherwise, if your computer can boot from USB, try USB drive installation mode (it's more reliable).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Also, have you thought of including, as part of the documentation, install guides for the most typical cases ? (from Linux HD, Linux USB, Windows HD, Windows USB) Each guide would have a series screenshots, I think this would save enormous time in FAQ. Personally, I got confused on how to install. You could ask people to contribute, you seem to have lots of users
    I actually have a few already, I suppose I'll eventually merge their contents into the FAQ:

LiveUSB (Ubuntu): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811397
    LiveUSB (PCLinuxOS): http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=46097.0
    Hard Disk (PCLinuxOS): http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=40364.0

As for the others, I'll get around to them eventually

Beans

I'm trying to install Ubunto 8.04 on a new partition (Labeled 'E'), used the NTFS filesystem.

The only folders at C:\unetbtin was the UNetBootin program, which opened right up into the window. I tried setting it to copy to drive E but that wouldn't allow me to... Probably for the better.

Got the full script of sorts it shows me while trying to install on GRUB:

(hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is NTFS
    partition type 0x7
    [linux bzImage, setup=x1e001 size=0x196f78]

Huh. hd0,0... Shouldn't it be something like (hd0,1), referring to the second partition of the first disk, or am I completely wrong? x]
    Last edited by Grantham; June 5th, 2008 at 04:16 AM.

Beans

This may have been covered already, but searching the thread didn't turn up anything, so here goes...

I'm attempting to install Debian testing (i386) on my laptop with UNetbootin; I use wireless exclusively on this box, yet the installer doesn't allow for wireless connectivity at the outset. Predictably, DHCP probing fails, and I'm not able to continue.

Is there any way -- or some other tool -- to get the job done, short of burning a DVD? I already tried downloading the full 4GB iso and using that with UNetbootin, but I'm essentially told to insert the DVD into my optical drive.

Alternatively, is there a distro readily installable with UNetbootin that will optionally connect to a wireless network _before_ an FTP install?

Thanks!

Harry
    Last edited by cautha; June 7th, 2008 at 04:51 AM.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast