Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: clonezilla unetbootin?

Quote Originally Posted by anystupidname View Post
    I'm looking for a clonezilla unetbootin. Has somebody already created one? If not, how hard is it to use an already created ISO to generate my own package? I'm on Ubuntu and have really been liking the partedmagic and other unetbootin packages. Thanks!
    Read the sections titled "Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin" and "Packaging UNetbootin for Other Distributions" from http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html (the first is simply if you want to load CloneZilla, the second is if you want to make a new UNetbootin package for CloneZilla to redistribute en masse). From the site:

Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin

Download the Generic UNetbootin Loader, and supply it with the appropriate floppy/hard disk image, or kernel and initrd files when prompted (see first screenshot). See your distribution's FTP mirrors, or the contents of the iso file, to find these files. If special booting options and parameters are required for the kernel, check the distribution's boot configuration files (usually after the "kernel" line in either isolinux.cfg, syslinux.cfg, menu.lst, or grub.conf) and supply them on the "Option" line.
    Packaging UNetbootin for Other Distributions

Thanks to UNetbootin's portable architecture, it is easy to add support for other distributions. If you would like to create UNetbootin packages for other distributions, first make sure you have installed the "bzr", "alien", "fakeroot", and "wine" utilities, which are installable through your package manager, then check out the source with the command:

bzr checkout http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gezakov...otin/devel-new

Then add the name of the distribution, referred to here as {distroname}, into the file "targetdistros" in the checked-out source, add the netboot initrd and kernel, with the naming scheme "ubninit-{distroname}" and "ubnkern-{distroname}" into the "initkern" folder, then cd to the source directory, and run the command:

./build

Then, the ".exe", ".deb", ".rpm", and ".sh" packages for distribution will be created in the "dist" directory. More info is available in the readme file in the source folder.
    If you're wondering where the kernel and initrd files can be found, they can generally be found in the "isolinux" or "boot" subdirectories, titled either "kernel" "vmlinuz", "bzImage", and similar names for the kernel file, and "initrd.img", "initrd.gz", or the like for the initrd file.

hi i was interested in trying this as i cant use cdrom as ide has died.. but i have 1 main problem and that is alot of distros haven't supported my network card on start of installer i am currently using debian etch but feel like a change... but only reason i came here is because someone was helping me find a way of netinstalling a different distro and i would like to try the newest ubuntu 8.04 but i need to know if this would support my onboard lan card otherwise this is going to pose a problem unless theres a way i can install the network drivers on before install so it will continue and that ubuntu would support the lan card when i have finished install. the network card is 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
    Given the package merge from Debian, the network card will probably be supported, but if you're still unsure, just install the package and reboot; if the netboot installation works, then your card is supported you're good to go, and if it fails, just reboot back, remove the package, and your system will be back to normal.

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Given the package merge from Debian, the network card will probably be supported, but if you're still unsure, just install the package and reboot; if the netboot installation works, then your card is supported you're good to go, and if it fails, just reboot back, remove the package, and your system will be back to normal.
    only problem being is i would like to be able to change distro as i have messed debian up abit i dunno if it will boot back up if i reboot but is there anyway i could say get the lan drivers if need be and put them onto a floppy disk and if it doesn't work with my lan card then i could get it to install those drivers to use ?

Beans
    Distro

@V4mpire: The only change that's occurring is an added entry to menu.lst, so if it's still able to reboot properly now, it will be able to do so after an install attempt (no formatting or other serious modification occurs until well into the netboot-install stage, by which you'll have noticed if your network card works or not).

@all: ANNOUNCEMENT, NEW VERSION

The latest version (rev166), available for download from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=264540 now supports the creation of bootable USB drives from Windows (also works in Linux via wine, native Qt4 version will be released as soon as I finish some GRUB-specific tweaks) in addition to support for a few additional distros and misc bugfixes. Please report if it works or not (and any relevant info if you encounter issues).

Beans
    Distro

This is great.

Especially the function to install to USB. Means I can try out distros without having to write CD coasters.

Also - DSL is on the list (not mentioned in post 1).

Beans

Hi,

been following this guide trying to get xbuntu onto an old Armada 4220t - no facility to change boot sequence.. so, all going well with unetbootin method until i get to the partioning screen... loads it up but appears not to be able to pick up hard disk so partition. I just get two blank lines between "help on partitioning" and "undo changes to partitions".

Tried the detecting disks again but this just tells me about no driver for the "disk drive", which i take to be the fdd. I then tried selecting "none of the above" from the list of drivers, and then this tells me I have no detectable partionable disks attached to the computer...but i know there is as it has win98 installed on it (and boots fine into it)... is there something I can do to get it to detect?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike007 View Post
    Hi,

been following this guide trying to get xbuntu onto an old Armada 4220t - no facility to change boot sequence.. so, all going well with unetbootin method until i get to the partioning screen... loads it up but appears not to be able to pick up hard disk so partition. I just get two blank lines between "help on partitioning" and "undo changes to partitions".

Tried the detecting disks again but this just tells me about no driver for the "disk drive", which i take to be the fdd. I then tried selecting "none of the above" from the list of drivers, and then this tells me I have no detectable partionable disks attached to the computer...but i know there is as it has win98 installed on it (and boots fine into it)... is there something I can do to get it to detect?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

cheers
    Ubuntu seems to not support your hard disk/controller, and I'm not aware of any simple way to load a third-party driver during installation, so your best bet would probably be to try a different distro (Fedora, openSUSE, etc) or perhaps a different version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well i really screwed the pooch on this one. up to recently i've been a windows user. i just started working with ubuntu on my desktop however i wanted to be able to carry a notebook around so i could work on it in my spare time. i have this acer travelmate laptop, it has no CD/DVD drives and no floppy. the only thing it has is 3 USB's and a firewire. it already had xp on it so i figured i'd use the UNetbootin installer. well everything was working great, right up until the end... i didn't have it plugged in and my battery died!! i know i know such a rookie mistake, but the DL was taking so long because i was doing it wireless i thought i'd move closer to my router to get better signal strength. i just lost track of time and it died. much to my dismay when i reboot it i get the bios splash screen and then it just goe's to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

the only thing i could think to do is maybe install from a thumb drive. however when i look at the bios it only has the option to boot from a floppy, optical, hard drive, or network. i'm feeling like i'm totally screwed on this. i mean the laptop was about 4 years old but it wasn't trash by any means. and seeing as i've only used windows for the past 13 years all i can think to do is put in the install disc, and there's not even a CD drive for that! i have NO CLUE where to go from here. i wanted gutsy on it but if anyone can help get any OS back on there it would be a miracle! any and all suggestions are welcome.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by setotitan View Post
    i wanted gutsy on it but if anyone can help get any OS back on there it would be a miracle! any and all suggestions are welcome.
    From post 1:
    If all else fails, or if you only have access to floppies, then first, download the Debian minimal-install floppies. Then, install Debian. Once installed, download the UNetbootin deb package using wget $unetbootin.deb, install it using dpkg -i $unetbootin.deb, then once done, reboot, and select UNetbootin in the GRUB menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

yeah, yanked the hard drive slapped it into a desktop and installed ubuntu that way. it's back in my laptop and working fine, thanks!
    Last edited by setotitan; March 20th, 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi, I had made a post and someone reffered me to unetbootin, so I checked out the site. But before I go ahead and do this I need to make sure on a few things.

My problem is this, I am running Fiesty Fawn on my laptop, and want to do a fresh install of Gutsy Gibbon, I have to use restricted drivers, ndiswrapper, and WICD for my laptop. WIFI is the only conection I have, no broadband connections.

So my question is this, If I install Gutsy over Fiesty using unetbootin (no extra partitions) Will it effect my WIFI?
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast