Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Okay, so I've downloaded this same version several times now, and others.

Still, this is the one that seems to be the one I want to install Ubuntu.

So I've got a disk image, ergo, I don't need to download another.
    However, do I just stick it on the C drive?
    With the past versions, I've always gone to the 'try' ubuntu style, and the install doesn't work (my computer freezes) despite my own iso or the UNB download.

What's going on?

EDIT: The download seems to download the program itself and not any installer - is this right?

((BTW: my system seems to crash even when using a CD, but only when I have Windows as my OS... tried various cds))

Beans

I have the exact same problem.
    Add to that my CD drive is angry about ubuntu. It is not working while installing ubuntu.
    Please post if you get this problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeRV7 View Post
    Looks like this is a pretty active thread, and someone must have come across the same problem i'm having. I have two hard disks in my computer, sda and sdb. I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.10 from sdb, but it has been patched and upgraded so many times (from 6.06) that i'd like to do a fresh install onto sda (keeping my install on sdb just in case).

My current fdisk -l output:
    Code:
    rb4@corsair:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00042f46

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1          33      265041   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2              34         555     4192965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3             556       14685   113499225   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4   *       14686       14946     2096482+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0003eadd

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1       14759   118551636   83  Linux
    /dev/sdb2           14760       14946     1502077+   5  Extended
    /dev/sdb5           14760       14946     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    rb4@corsair:~$
    I have an .iso of the 8.10-desktop image, so I tried using that to create a boot partition on /dev/sda4. I had to select "USB drive" and select "show all drives" before I could select /dev/sda4 though. Once that was done, there was no indication in my /boot/grub/menu.lst that anything had changed... I think it's relying on the USB boot capability of my BIOS to take care of that for me.

How can I get it to do an install to /dev/sda4, and make the appropriate entries in my /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by holla View Post
    I have the exact same problem.
    Add to that my CD drive is angry about ubuntu. It is not working while installing ubuntu.
    Please post if you get this problem solved
    If your BIOS does not allow booting from USB, unetbootin won't change that.

Beans

I have an old laptop I want ubuntu installed on, it has no cd-rom or floppy but does have a usb port. Bad thing is that I can't boot from usb. Performing a network install is a bit confusing to me and I'm trying to understand the process. Help?

Beans

HELP!

I was trying to see if I can install ubuntu on FC4 using the command line .sh script, so I've downloaded the Ubuntu 8.04.....sh to it and then ran it, after reboot it drops me to the grub> prompt, I tried to do what I've found here in this thread in page 3
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    configfile /menu.lst
    to no avail, so I tried
    Code:
    find --set-root /wubi
    kernel /wubi/linux
    initrd /wubi/initrd.gz
    and all I get is file not found errors and so
    The problem is I don't have physical access to the server (some 7000 miles separates between us) and I'll be getting there only next week, I'm thinking of trying to make it work somehow.
    Can you help??
    Thanks,
    Ziv

Beans

OK, nevermind, I've found it!
    I can't explain what went wrong and why I didn't get the menu, but this is what I did, assume I did the installation to /dev/hda1

Code:
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    grub> makeactive
    grub> chainloader +1
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Voila! I've got into the grub menu where the Unetbootin option is available for boot.
    From there I've got directly into the Ubuntu install.
    This is a great program!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by zivley; May 21st, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

Could someone explain how, if you install Ubuntu in a blank partition on a Windows machine using UNetbootin, you actually start Linux on subsequent boots?

The documentation says that the bootloader is modified for one boot, and then changed back on the next boot into Windows. So, I'm confused.

I have a Windows machine here with 20GB or so unpartitioned space on the disk that I'd like to install Ubuntu into. Is UNetbootin the best way to go about this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I used Unetbootin to install Ubuntu in some spare disk space on a Win 98 machine with no problems. Ubuntu provides a disk partitioning tool, and installs GRUB to handle the boot options, so from thereon, instead of booting straight into Windows you'll get the Grub window, where you can choose to boot into Ubuntu or Windows.
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnraff View Post
    I used Unetbootin to install Ubuntu in some spare disk space on a Win 98 machine with no problems. Ubuntu provides a disk partitioning tool, and installs GRUB to handle the boot options, so from thereon, instead of booting straight into Windows you'll get the Grub window, where you can choose to boot into Ubuntu or Windows.
    Thanks! Is that reliable, the installation of GRUB to boot Windows? From my experience with it, Windows tends to get a bit precious about anything else modifiying bits of it, and then it'll refuse to work, leading to spending 20+ hours doing a reinstall which I'd like to avoid.

It's Windows XP Pro if that makes any difference.

Beans

Actually, with Ubuntu is there any way of making a "non-bootable" install, such that the Windows bootloader is left alone and there is then a "dormant" Linux install in /dev/hda2, which won't do anything until a CD or USB stick is used to "trigger" booting into it?

If this is possible I'd prefer it to changing the Windows bootloader.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast