Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Hello. I think UNetbootin is an awesome idea, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work correctly with my hard disk. I chose to install Ubunutu 8.04 NetInstall using the Hard Disk option. Although my hard disk has two partitions (one running Windows XP and the other holding Windows backup information), only one drive option appears when I chose the "Hard Disk" option and the "Show All Drives" option becomes unselectable. When I proceed with the installation and reboot, my BIOS boots Windows XP as normal rather than presenting the option to boot the Ubuntu installer. I've tried the USB installer, but my BIOS seems incapable of booting from a USB drive. Also, my CD burner is dead.

If you have any suggestions, I would be grateful. My Windows XP desktop (which would not contain Windows except that I share it with family members) has been prayed upon by a host of malware masquerading as "Anti-virus" and "Anti-spyware" applications and I'm anxious to establish Ubuntu Linux as another boot option and backup some files to a separate partition before I try to re-install Windows.

Thank you for UNetbootin and any advice you can give.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuki Mishima View Post
    ..only one drive option appears when I chose the "Hard Disk" option and the "Show All Drives" option becomes unselectable. When I proceed with the installation and reboot, my BIOS boots Windows XP as normal rather than presenting the option to boot the Ubuntu installer.
    Bare in mind that I only just started using UNetbootin 2 hours ago to solve a problem of mine.

The 'Show All Drives' option will become disabled when using your Hard Disk to store the downloaded files. This is (I think) because it wants to store the files to the *bootable* partition of your drive (which is usually C:\)

For my installation, I firstly downloaded the ISO from Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso) and copied that to the C:\ drive.

Then use UNetbootin (o) Diskimage option, and specify the ubuntu ISO that you downloaded and put on C:\

The Hard Disk option will only give you the booted partition, so choose C:\

Once you have clicked OK, it will start to extract the Ubuntu installer files from the ISO and you will see new folders created and new files on your C:\ drive.

Upon reboot, you should then see another option to boot from UNetbootin.

Hope that helps!

Beans

Can you use this program to install a version of linux on an external usb drive that currently is only used for storage and has no os installed?

Beans

I'm trying to install Xubuntu using unetbootin. At first I was trying to download 8.10, but it would quickly finish without Downloading anything. Even when I tried to reboot my computer, it would simply reboot normally and load my current OS. So I tried 8.04 instead and it actually took some time to download some files but when I rebooted by computer it did the same thing, it rebooted normally and it didn't do anything.

Not sure what's going on. I'm running Linux Linpus Lite on an Acer Aspire One. A friend of mine says I don't have Grub installed, but if I go on Yumex, it says it's there. So I don't know what's going. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi every one

i try to install Ubuntu 8.04 using unetbootin hard drive method
    but after choosing the keyboard layout and location the installer say that the there is no cd in the drive.

please can any one help me by pointing out what may have done wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

@ranger_cole:
    You could try partitioning the USB disk using parted magic. Then you should be able to perform a LiveUSB or full install to the new partition with UNetbootin.

@BeautyandSong, Asem:
    The downloaded .iso disk image may have been corrupted. You could try redownloading from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download for ubuntu, or http://xubuntu.org/get for xubuntu, and then select the "diskimage" option in UNetbootin to use the .iso.
    WubiGuide - Wubi tips, tricks, and answers to common questions.
    UNetBootin - Install Linux and create LiveUSB drives without a CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've got a few issues with my current 8.04 install (graphics mainly, along with a problem with loading my panels). I also have another problem- my Cd/dvd drive is busted. This has led me to become very frustrated in my search to reinstall 8.04 so that everything can be copacetic again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm running on AMD-64, which apparently Lubi doesn't support?

I tried using unetbootin on a Windows computer first to try to just make a LiveUSB, but when I tried the finished product on my computer, it said that there is no operating system on the drive. So I downloaded unetbootin onto this computer, found that my system has no idea what to do with the bin file that is the linux version of unetbootin, so I used the Windows version under WINE- still the same response.

All my files are backed up on another system at the moment so that I can just wipe the hard drive entirely. Is there a way to finagle this USB drive, or am I better off using LUBI and then LVPM?

And were I to use the LUBI->LVPM method of installing to a permanent partition, would I be able to wipe my drive entirely and install that virtual partition as the main OS as if I were installing from a LiveCD/LiveUSB and using the entire drive?

Sorry for the questions and the wall of text, I'm simply very confused about how all of this is supposed to happen, and my research seems to have proven a little fruitless.
    Last edited by Kibagari; September 12th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I try to install ubuntu with unetbootin but when I reboot my pc(after finishing setup) nothing happen I can't boot on ubuntu. I don't know why

??

Beans

Hi, I'm new here and new to Ubuntu Linux. I'm trying to convert my desktop (winXP) to ubuntu but I'm having some trouble with it. I don't have a cdrom drive and so I followed the instructions here but when I tried installing it I'm stuck at the cdrom detection/failed to mount something something.

Note: I do not have a cdrom drive available in my PC
    Here's a brief steps I did:
    1. followed the instructions from here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...-the-easy-way/
    2. after booting from the usb and proceed with the installation, im stucked at "failed to mount cdrom"
    3. Followed the steps below from: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...tall-tutorial/

Installing Ubuntu 8.04 to the USB flashdrive via Windows:

Download and launch Ubuntup8.exe, a Ubuntu8 folder is created
    Copy your Ubuntu 8.04 ISO to the Ubuntup8 folder
    From the Ubuntup8 folder, click fixu.bat and follow the onscreen instructions
    Once the fixu.bat script has finished, navigate to the new USB-Ubuntu folder inside the Ubuntup8 folder
    Copy all of the files from "within" the USB-Ubuntu folder to the "root" of your flash drive (not to a subfolder)
    Restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device
    If all goes well, you should be able to Run Ubuntu in Persistence Mode saving changes.

It just sits on a screen saying verifying dmi pool data.

Need your advise badly. Thanks in advance.

Update: this has been resolved. Seems like I used an alternate iso download instead of the livecd.
    Last edited by marcus01; September 28th, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: resolved

Beans

I'm trying to install 8.10.

I have an external hdd with two partitions.

I've set the second with a boot flag and let unetbootin to it's job.

When booting it doesn't actually do anything, it just see a black screen and it stays that way untill I hard reset the machine.

Any help?

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast