Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

having tried 1 booting from cd "2 using wubi 7.04. 3 wubi 8.04 4 the 610 version of ubuntu as a dual install finally found this post about ubnetinstall so tried that it gives me an option so i pick linux mint. it starts to download and appears to stick but later it asks me to reboot. I choose ubutu and it flicks through the first stage then i get error 13 any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by tez-a View Post
    having tried 1 booting from cd "2 using wubi 7.04. 3 wubi 8.04 4 the 610 version of ubuntu as a dual install finally found this post about ubnetinstall so tried that it gives me an option so i pick linux mint. it starts to download and appears to stick but later it asks me to reboot. I choose ubutu and it flicks through the first stage then i get error 13 any ideas
    Apparently, the ISO file wasn't downloaded properly; you didn't see any errors because I haven't yet finished the code for error reporting. If you have an unreliable connection, just download the iso file manually from the Linux Mint site, and select it under the Disk Image option when running UNetbootin.

Beans

I have a Vista notebook and downloaded a version for windows-191 to install Hardy Heron on. When an installation windows, I followed what shown in the screenshot. When I rebooted, it straightly went into Windows.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Beans

Booting Unetbootin from a Flash drive. It worked great on my laptop.

My old Dell (PII400) is hanging at

[42.357595] RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    [43.947900] RAMDISK: Ran out of compressed data
    [43.947990] invalid compressed format (err=1)
    [44.011948] VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(140,1)
    [44.012031] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the aviailable partitions:
    [44.012114] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(104,1)

I'm perfectly happy to format the entire drive, if I can get to a utility to do so. CD-ROM's dead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    No, you do not have to re-download the ISO file every time; use the version at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and pre-download the iso file (the desktop one) the standard way (from the Ubuntu website), then just specify the iso file when you start UNetbootin (see screenshot on homepage). Either that, or simply install to a USB drive, and you can install from the USB drive to each of the computers. As for the installation, see the Ubuntu homepage itself (same process).
    thanks tuxcantfly

i followed your instructions above.

Anyway the partition i have unetbootin and the ubuntu ISO is mounted as /cdrom, but using the ubuntu installer and when it launches the partitioner it un-mounts every partition that is mounted, including the partition /cdrom, then the installer just crashes.

Once the installer (ubiquity) crashes it won't launch anymore, so i have to reboot

Can't get installed

what should i do?

thanks!
    Last edited by madjr; April 23rd, 2008 at 03:02 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Thanks tuxcantfly for this tool.

I just have one problem when I create an live USB with your tool. (ubuntu and kubuntu hardy)
    I can not choose the keyboard at boot time. As I have a french keyboard it is a problem.

I tried to change the syslinux.cfg like this:
    Code:
    append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/kubuntu-kde4.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
    to:
    Code:
    append locale=fr_FR bootkbd=fr initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/kubuntu-kde4.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
    But I still have the US keyboard. For information this method works with a standard syslinux installation.

Beans

No, you do not have to re-download the ISO file every time; use the version at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and pre-download the iso file (the desktop one) the standard way (from the Ubuntu website), then just specify the iso file when you start UNetbootin (see screenshot on homepage). Either that, or simply install to a USB drive, and you can install from the USB drive to each of the computers. As for the installation, see the Ubuntu homepage itself (same process).

@vferrusola: I haven't been able to reproduce that error. What desktop environment are you using (I'm on GNOME here). Also what architecture is this (i386 or amd64; the binary is for i386 and you'll need the compatibility libraries if on amd64)? Also, what command are you using to invoke sudo (sudo, gksudo, kdesu)? Also, what qt version is this (I'm using the version from backports, 4.3.2-0ubuntu3.2)? And do you have all the packages installed (libqt4-gui and libqt4-core)?
    Like vferrusola and Doctor Device,I'm getting the error

Code:
    unetbootin-linux-191: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach2Ev
    when running unetbootin in Debian. Relevant details:

Linux 2.6.8 w/ Debian Etch running on a ix86
    libqt4-core & libqt4-gui (both 4.2.1-2+etch1) installed
    unetbootin run as root via su

This is actually an ancient dual boot machine (with a useless cd-rom), with windows me on the other side. One option is to ditch grub, revert to the windows version of the mbr and use the windowized unetbootin.

Any suggestions?

Yours,
    Jorge at the Skunkworks

Beans

@vferrusola: I haven't been able to reproduce that error. What desktop environment are you using (I'm on GNOME here). Also what architecture is this (i386 or amd64; the binary is for i386 and you'll need the compatibility libraries if on amd64)? Also, what command are you using to invoke sudo (sudo, gksudo, kdesu)? Also, what qt version is this (I'm using the version from backports, 4.3.2-0ubuntu3.2)? And do you have all the packages installed (libqt4-gui and libqt4-core)?
    Like vferrusola and Doctor Device,I'm getting the error

Code:
    unetbootin-linux-191: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach2Ev
    when running unetbootin in Debian. Relevant details:

Linux 2.6.8 w/ Debian Etch running on a ix86
    libqt4-core & libqt4-gui (both 4.2.1-2+etch1) installed
    unetbootin run as root via su

This is actually an ancient dual boot machine (with a useless cd-rom), with windows me on the other side. One option is to ditch grub, revert to the windows version of the mbr and use the windowized unetbootin.

Any suggestions?

Yours,
    Jorge at the Skunkworks

Beans

First off, thanks to 'Tuxcantfly' and the rest who put time/effort into this (both the initial project and the follow-up questions).

Now, I'm stuck. IBM Thinkpad 240, can not boot from USB, CD, or PXE/network (can not, as in it's not allowed in the most current BIOS available). Can boot from floppy, but I don't have one of those and don't care to incur the expense.

I like the idea of WUBI and Unetbootin, but both fail... Unetbootin is my preferred method anyway. It hangs after the reboot, when trying to find the NIC. There is no built-in NIC, so I'm forced to use a PCMCIA item (actually have 4 of the little buggers... leftovers through the years), yet none of them are recognized. Is there a list of what IS recognized out there somewhere? I might be able to work a trade or borrow something that'll work for setup as I'm sure what I have will work fine once set up. Or is there a way to add support for one of the 4 cards that I currently own?

I have no doubt that I could see an installation through to completion if I could just get past the network detection step.

Here are the PCMCIA NICs I have on hand: 1 is a 3com FE575CT-D, one is a 3com 3C589D-TP, one is a Xircom CEM56-100 and the last is a Netgear WAG511 (dual band wireless).

Thanks again,

Brian

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I tried out UNetbootin on my HP laptop in an attempt to install Vector Linux alongside my default Vista.Sadly,being a newbie,i got totally confused and decided to uninstall UNetbootin. However,after doing so,it still appears as one of the options when i boot up my laptop.I can boot into Vista as per normal with no problems but how do i remove the UNetbootin entry (listed below)at boot up? I've searched for traces of it on my laptop but no joy.

UNetbootin-vector59rev62

Many thanks.
    CD

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast