Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by lootje2 View Post
    I bought a 2nd-hand with 7.10 pre-installed (so not my personal/preferred configs etc). I played with it, like it, but now want a fresh install.

Is UNetbootin a viable option to do this and if so, how to completely remove the first?

Thanks for your time.

Lootje2
    Yes, UNetbootin (use the .deb version since you have Ubuntu already installed) will be able to wipe out your existing install completely if you use the "Use Entire Disk" option when prompted in the partitioning stage. Remember to back up your data first, since everything on that computer will be getting wiped out.

Then again, for safety, you may want to instead resize the existing install and temporarily keep both, until you're sure; you can subsequenly delete your existing Ubuntu install's partition and expand the new install's partition after you've made a new, fresh install. It takes slightly longer, but it's safer since you won't be left with an unbootable computer should your connection fail in the middle of the downloading stage and thereby potentially ruin the entire installation process.

Beans

Thanks for quick and clear reply.

It's now 01.43, so somewhere tomorrow I will have a go at it.

Thanks again,
    Lootje2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A BIG thankyou to Tuxcantfly for putting this together - it's exactly what I had been searching the web for! An install from a Windows 98 partition worked perfectly, just as it said on the tin.
    I'm now tempted to try out some of the other distros on offer...

One small question: I wanted a minimal command-line install, so I disobeyed the instructions to select a desktop and, as I couldn't see an option for a command-line setup, I just left all the options unchecked. I got my system OK but instead of the 300M or so I was expecting, after "aptitude clean" I still had 750M or so. A bit of searching around came up with some Open Office stuff, English locales for Firefox and Thunderbird, and some of xorg. Removing all that got me down to about 450M...

Is there no way to install a minimal command-line Ubuntu system with unetbootin?
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans

Does anybody know if I can use an internet connection over wireless over VPN for this kind of installation (i.e. a wireless network that has an internet connection over a VPN)?

Beans

Hello all,

I downloaded Unetboot and followed all the directions to a 'T'. When it asked which distro I wanted to go with I chose Xubuntu. I know Xubuntu will work on this computer as I've installed it before. I am currently using a patition with a messed up Ubuntu/Xubuntu/ interface but that's another story I won't get into. This computer has a very slow CD-ROM drive so I figured this Unetboot would be an excllent method. I'm already loving it and thinking its an awesome idea, but I'm having an issue with it that I was hoping someone could share some enlightenment with me on. I went to boot it for the first time after it was finished installing. It did all the checks then it asked me to login in text. Odd, I thought, as I've never had to do that before. So, I logged in with my user and pass and then i was given a quick warning about how ubuntu comes with no license and then.... well that's it. Its just all terminal. Its all command prompt...... What did i do wrong?!

Edit:
    I see that there are updates that need to be installed now that I'm back on the working partition. If I did half the installation last night, and the other half this morning, when new updates were to take place after it checked for updates or something, would that cause an issue? Just trying to think of things here! thanks!

Edit #2: I decided to write down and type everything grub said to see if it would help the situation at all.

Basically, I turn on the computer, lots of stuff is said but the very last screen says the following:

* Mounting local file systems... [ok]
    * Activating swapfile swap... [ok]
    $Mounting securityfs on /sys/kernel/security: done [ok]
    Loading APParmor profiles: done
    *Checking minimum space in /tmp... [ok]
    *Configuring network interfaces... [ok]
    *Setting up console font and keymap... [ok]
    *Loading ACPI modules [ok]

*Starting ACPI services [ok]

*Starting system log daemon... [ok]

*Starting kernel log daemon [ok]

Ubuntu 7.10 Shekels tty1

Shekels login *Starting deffered execution scheduler atd [ok]

*Starting Periodic command scheduler crond [ok]

*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [ok]

That's where it stops. I've let it sit for a good hour or two and it stays there, but when I press enter it says the following:

Last login: Sat Feb 23 17:25:09 EST 2008 on tty1
    Linux Shekels 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/sharedoc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
    applicable law.

shekels@Shekels:~$

The last part is a prompt where I can enter terminal commands. I don't know grub that well (if that's what the linux version of DOS is called I'm not sure enlighten me if I'm wrong I'd much rather know what its called then to not know... kind of obsessive like that).

A thought I just had was that when I installed this I chose the username to be shekels just like the other partition. I named it this, because it is the last name of my mother and little brother and it is easy for them to remember. I suppose if the issue is caused by having them both be named shekels I could reinstall it with a different name. Now I could be wrong here, but I thought the SDA1, 2 so forth and so on were each assigned to each partition to seperate them from one another so an issue like having the username on both be the same wouldn't be an issue. Chances are, I'm wicked wrong here, but I like to guess things and have people tell me whether I'm right or not to further my knowledge on such things.

If anyone can help me out thanks a million.
    Last edited by whoscheesemine; February 24th, 2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Failing a Higher Guru...

Anyway, that's the normal (?) Gutsy command-line login it seems.
    The "username login" bit comes too soon, but if you start typing your username at the point where it stops you can log in normally.

As to why you got a command-line interface, not a desktop, it might be because you didn't select the Xubuntu optiion properly. You have to hit the space bar when the star is by the option you want, before hitting enter to continue with the install.

If you've got the patience, you could try doing the whole install over again...
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans

I actually have plenty of patience and will try that now, thanks a million. I know that I most deffinitely did not hit spacebar before I hit enter.

EDIT: That's exactly what the problem was. Thanks alot!
    Last edited by whoscheesemine; February 24th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've released a new version of UNetbootin, now written in proper Qt4 and C++.

New Features: In addition to being able to load the usual distributions (currently Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, and Debian; I'll add in the others later), it can also load any kernel and initrd (with parameters), or floppy/hard drive disk image.

Currently supports only Windows, though I'll have Linux support ready soon (Qt4 should make cross-platform porting easier).

Download at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=264540

New interface:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Used unetbootin-ubuntu710rev113 to attempt dual boot with XP. All seemed to go according to plan until, right at the end of the process it hangs , with flashing cursor, at:-

ubuntu login:*starting deferred execution scheduler [OK]
    *starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
    *running local boot scripts (/etc /rc, local) [OK]
    _

First try the flashing cursor appeared on the left, second try on the right, otherwise no apparent differences in the process. No matter how long I wait, nothing further happened - only option is to reboot by switch on cpu.
    I have not uninstalled unetbootin-ubuntu710rev113 as prompted by screen on restarting windoze, and Win XP works OK.
    The "boot options screen is starting to look jungle-like with lots of entries because of my various attempts to get unetbootin to complete!
    What now please, oh wise ones? BTW profile inserts details of a laptop I was having problems with. The above comments apply to running unetbootin on my desktop PC a Time AMD i386 machine with only 256MB Ram and 80GB HDD, 1.15Mhz.
    Last edited by RayArdia; February 28th, 2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Clarifying system in use for this post
    Acer Aspire 5735, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD + 2x2TB Seagate Expansion Drives

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RayArdia View Post
    Used unetbootin-ubuntu710rev113 to attempt dual boot with XP. All seemed to go according to plan until, right at the end of the process it hangs , with flashing cursor, at:-

ubuntu login:*starting deferred execution scheduler [OK]
    *starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
    *running local boot scripts (/etc /rc, local) [OK]
    _

First try the flashing cursor appeared on the left, second try on the right, otherwise no apparent differences in the process. No matter how long I wait, nothing further happened - only option is to reboot by switch on cpu.
    I have not uninstalled unetbootin-ubuntu710rev113 as prompted by screen on restarting windoze, and Win XP works OK.
    The "boot options screen is starting to look jungle-like with lots of entries because of my various attempts to get unetbootin to complete!
    What now please, oh wise ones? BTW profile inserts details of a laptop I was having problems with. The above comments apply to running unetbootin on my desktop PC a Time AMD i386 machine with only 256MB Ram and 80GB HDD, 1.15Mhz.
    So I presume this is after the ubuntu installation, on the first boot? In that case, it's most likely a graphics card driver incompatibility issue, which usually occurs when using ATI/AMD cards (though some have had similar issues with nvidia and intel chipsets as well).

As soon as the screen goes blank, press Ctrl-Alt-F2. You should see a login screen; login there, then once logged on, enter the following command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    You'll be asked a few questions about your monitor and graphics card, accept the defaults, but when asked about the video card driver, select "vesa" from the list instead. Then reboot, and hopefully all should work.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast