Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu without a CD using UNetbootin

For some reason the windows unetbootin installer does not work for my old laptop. It hangs after extracting menu.lst and never reboots. Anyway, I have now managed to install grub and have modified the boot.ini in such a way that I could basically run the installer. The problem is, that I can not find the necessary files, i.e. ubnkern and ubuninit (?), that need to be copied to the c:\unetbootin directory to reboot th elaptop and start the actual installation? Could someone please tell me where to donload them or post them to this forum?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by muginaa View Post
    For some reason the windows unetbootin installer does not work for my old laptop. It hangs after extracting menu.lst and never reboots. Anyway, I have now managed to install grub and have modified the boot.ini in such a way that I could basically run the installer. The problem is, that I can not find the necessary files, i.e. ubnkern and ubuninit (?), that need to be copied to the c:\unetbootin directory to reboot th elaptop and start the actual installation? Could someone please tell me where to donload them or post them to this forum?

Thanks!
    The files are on the FTP sites of the respective distributions (ftp.ubuntu.com, ftp.debian.org, etc), they're usually in a folder titled "ftp-install", "netboot", or something similar. Alternatively, you can just extract them from the .exe, .rpm, or .deb version using 7-zip http://7-zip.org/ (rightclick->extract here)

Also, what version of Windows was this on? And what distro and version were you installing? (I want to see if I can reproduce this bug myself)

Beans

Hello,

thanks, problem solved! The installation starts all right. All I need now is to find the right vga= option for the display...

The laptop is (soon was) running windows 2000 professional and it's a travel mate 225X

Cheers!

Beans

oops, forgot to say that the installer version was the latest ubuntu (and Vector). Before that I tried with wubi and that failed as well. I had the grub already installed when I started playing with wubi and unetbootin.

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Are you attempting to login through the console (no GUI), or through GDM (the GUI login screen)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the sound of it, it seems like you forgot to select a desktop environment during installation (from post 1:If you're installing *Ubuntu, make sure to mark one or more desktop environment using the space button when asked by the installer, so that it's marked with an asterisk (*), or else you'll be left with a commandline-only environment.), and are attempting to login from the console. If it's through the console that you're attempting to login, the password is being entered in fine, you just don't see the characters themselves for security reasons. Just enter the password, hit enter, and it'll login fine.

Since you didn't select a desktop environment to install, you're going to have to install one after logging in to be able to use a GUI. Just enter the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Then wait as the packages are installed, reboot, and all should work fine.[...]
    omg, you're right
    Didn't noticed that while installation, was quite late and very tired -.-

I also thougt of this possibility that the password isn't shown, but alo noticed that I wrote my Username wrong... *.*

Thx for your help

Beans

so...I went through the process, with a few hitches, but i thought it had completed successfully. However, after the computer rebooted, the only screen that would come up was "missing operating system."
    Here are the hitches, in case that helps to address the issue:
    - I did not have my Web server key, but it said "auto-detected succesfully", so i think that was ok.
    - I got an error message when i tried to check too many boxes in the menu that lets you select the desktop. I tried multiple times, and eventually, when i selected only the ubuntu desktop (and nothing else), it went through
    - I input 50% for the partition free space. It seemed as though the program would automatically partition the hard drive into a percentage, instead of me having to input a raw figure, but the hard drive is only 37G so if somehow it decided to format the entire drive, i suppose that could be the problem.
    - i don't know if i can access the bios
    Long story short, i would like to know if this is a fixable glitch, or if i need to
    start figuring out how to reload OS's.

Beans

I am trying this automatically with unetbootin both 32bit and 64bit on my Lenovo X61.
    Both times it will not recognize any disk drives. It gives me a list to choose from and none make sense, or work that i've tested. If i click just ignore it, it will goto the next screen to select/edit the partitions and it doesn't detect any media, or partitions at all.

Any clues?
    Thanks
    Christian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by christiand88 View Post
    I am trying this automatically with unetbootin both 32bit and 64bit on my Lenovo X61.
    Both times it will not recognize any disk drives. It gives me a list to choose from and none make sense, or work that i've tested. If i click just ignore it, it will goto the next screen to select/edit the partitions and it doesn't detect any media, or partitions at all.

Any clues?
    Thanks
    Christian
    That's a hardware incompatibility between your disks and Ubuntu itself. I'd suggest trying a different distro (Fedora or openSUSE), one of those might work better on your hardware. If neither of those work either, or you absolutely must use Ubuntu, I'd suggest filing a bug for Ubuntu on Launchpad.net, you'll probably get better support there; hopefully the kernel devs responsible for maintaining the drivers themselves will notice, and try to fix your issue (or have it fixed in a later release/update).

so...I went through the process, with a few hitches, but i thought it had completed successfully. However, after the computer rebooted, the only screen that would come up was "missing operating system."
    Here are the hitches, in case that helps to address the issue:
    - I did not have my Web server key, but it said "auto-detected succesfully", so i think that was ok.
    - I got an error message when i tried to check too many boxes in the menu that lets you select the desktop. I tried multiple times, and eventually, when i selected only the ubuntu desktop (and nothing else), it went through
    - I input 50% for the partition free space. It seemed as though the program would automatically partition the hard drive into a percentage, instead of me having to input a raw figure, but the hard drive is only 37G so if somehow it decided to format the entire drive, i suppose that could be the problem.
    - i don't know if i can access the bios
    Long story short, i would like to know if this is a fixable glitch, or if i need to
    start figuring out how to reload OS's.
    Hopefully, the issue you're having is just a bootloader installation problem, not a partitioning issue, which can easily be fixed using the Super Grub Disk http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ just boot it up and it should hopefully be able to get you to boot into an OS and fix your bootloader.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work I'd just boot a Windows disk, go into recovery mode by pressing R, type in "fixmbr", that should remove GRUB altogether, and hopefully you'll be able to boot into Windows after that.

Otherwise, if you can't get either OS booting through either of the methods, the only advice I can offer is to boot up a liveCD/Ubuntu Desktop CD, mount your partitions, and recover whatever data you can, then do a clean re-install.

Beans

here is how i installed on an old computer, using a floppy and netboot:

http://www.len.ro/work/tools/life-to...d-i8000-1/view

Beans

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who put UNetbootin together!

I'd been using Ubuntu for a couple years and loved it, but couldn't, for the life of me, get Ubuntu to install on my desktop from the Live CD. (The integrity check kept finding a single file error - whether on the Feisty, Gutsy, or alternative iso). So, I was seriously on the verge of having to buy a new computer (or at least a new CD drive).

BUT, UNetbootin worked perfectly! I only wish I'd known about it before burning 20 CDs and staring at my computer for way too many hours .

Thanks so much again!
    Jesse

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast