Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    ....You won't need any more than 8 unless you're installing multiple desktop environments (full ubuntu system install is just 3.5GB), so 8/32 is how I'd go.

You only need IP address/gateway/dns server info if you're on a static connection....
    My IP address dynamic, so it looks like I'm in good shape. I just have to buy the machine!

Thanks again,
    Eric Weir
    Decatur, GA USA
    Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Weir View Post
    I just have to buy the machine!
    Well, I did it. An IBM X40 Ultralight, 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB [for now], 40 GB. According to Thinkwiki, very hospitable to Ubuntu.

Thanks again,
    Eric Weir
    Decatur, GA USA
    Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just posted up new builds for the recently-released VectorLinux 5.9, download location at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=256936
    What's VectorLinux? Another distribution? Never heard of it.
    Last edited by Eric Weir; January 3rd, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Submitted before I was finished composing my post
    Eric Weir
    Decatur, GA USA
    Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Weir View Post
    What's VectorLinux? Another distribution? Never heard of it.
    VectorLinux is one of the older, slackware-based distros. Runs nice and fast on older computers. It just doesn't have the corporate backing nor huge user community of the likes of Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE, which is probably why it isn't as popular. More info at website on http://vectorlinux.com/ (PS that post was a general announcement, not specifically targetted towards anyone)

Beans
    Distro

(General Announcement)

I've uploaded builds UNetbootin builds for Ubuntu 8.04 http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=256965 and openSUSE Factory http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=256968

Ubuntu instructions are the same as before (install, reboot), while openSUSE factory instructions are as follow:

openSUSE-Factory Instructions

If installing openSUSE, after rebooting, ignore any error messages and select back if prompted for a CD, then go to the main menu, select the "Start Installation" option, choose "Network" as the source, choose "HTTP" as the protocol, and for the server, specify:

Code:
    download.opensuse.org
    and for the folder, if installing openSUSE Factory, specify:

Code:
    distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
    Since both of these are experimental distributions, and thus frequently change, the UNetbootin builds will initiate the download of the latest builds of that distribution's netboot initrd and kernel files from the official mirrors rather than bundling them in. (Which is why the filesize is now down to a couple of kilobytes rather than several megabytes)
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; January 4th, 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

VectorLinux is one of the older, slackware-based distros. Runs nice and fast on older computers. It just doesn't have the corporate backing nor huge user community of the likes of Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE, which is probably why it isn't as popular. More info at website on http://vectorlinux.com/ (PS that post was a general announcement, not specifically targetted towards anyone)
    I installed it on a modern Sony Vaio laptop with core-duo 1.6 GHz CPU with lots or RAM and a 7200rpm hard drive. (it's a 32 bit cpu, not the newer 64 bit core-duo) From off to work-ready desktop was about 30 seconds. Add another minute for kubuntu on the same machine. Ultimately, I went with xubuntu on it. Slackware is different enough that I'm keeping all one OS -- I have too much actualy work to do without learning another linux at this moment. Definitely impressive, though.

Chris

btw- thanks a bunch for your work on UNetbootin! Next time I get one of these silly little computers, I'll go your route. I'm half tempted to try out CentOS someday.

Beans

Hi tuxcantfly,

Can you to compile UNetbootin for Xubuntu and/or Fluxbuntu. I had trouble installing Xubuntu on my old laptop via live cd. It hanged during partitioning process. Could be I have insufficient ram or something is wrong with my cd-rom.

Thanks.

Edit : Oops.. Got it. There is a post in here which says that Xubuntu can be install using the UNetbootin for Ubuntu. Well, is it possible for you to compile the UNetbootin for Fluxbuntu
    Last edited by bradley1980; January 6th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bradley1980 View Post
    Hi tuxcantfly,

Can you to compile UNetbootin for Xubuntu and/or Fluxbuntu. I had trouble installing Xubuntu on my old laptop via live cd. It hanged during partitioning process. Could be I have insufficient ram or something is wrong with my cd-rom.

Thanks.

Edit : Oops.. Got it. There is a post in here which says that Xubuntu can be install using the UNetbootin for Ubuntu. Well, is it possible for you to compile the UNetbootin for Fluxbuntu
    Fluxubuntu, Geubuntu, Ubuntu Lite, Linux Mint, and the other non-official Ubuntu derivatives are all just the Ubuntu base system with a different desktop environment and a few extra packages tacked on. UNetbootin supports only the official Ubuntu versions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Gobuntu, UbuntuStudio, and Ubuntu Server), since the other derivatives don't provide their own PXE/netboot initrd packages.

Attempting to maintain functioning 3rd-party PXE initrds would be extremely difficult, due to the constant changing of the respective distibutions; however, if you or anyone else finds working PXE/netboot initrds for these Ubuntu derivatives you want supported by UNetbootin (same goes for other distros), just post the links here and I'll have the UNetbootin builds ready as soon as possible.

However, you can still get the same outcome of installing fluxubuntu; just use the Ubuntu version to Install the base system (no desktops), then

Code:
     sudo apt-get install fluxbox
    You can then proceed to install the other applications using the same approach, and you'll eventually end up with a Fluxubuntu desktop
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; January 7th, 2008 at 12:10 AM.

Beans

I tried this just now, however it said it cannot find any network devices (i have a gigabit onboard network card) so clearly i need some kind of driver.

Is there anyway to load a driver ?

Cheers

Alec

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast