Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 508

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

    hi guys
    thanks for the tip moving the files to S: worked

    btw the boot stuff is on S: so if windows decided for some reason to explode or something the recovery software, which is on another partition, would still boot (it requires the windows boot loader)

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2500 View Post
    hi guys
    thanks for the tip moving the files to S: worked

    btw the boot stuff is on S: so if windows decidede for some reason to explode or something the recovery software, which is on another partition, would still boot (it requires the windows boot loader)
    Only the installer requires the Windows bootloader (and those changes are undone after your next reboot into Windows). Ubuntu itself (and other distros) uses GRUB, installed to the MBR, so there's no dependency on the Windows bootloader other than for the install process. So no changes to the Windows bootloader are made or needed after the install; everything is reverted back to its original state.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    155

    Thumbs down Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

    Would this method create an automatic dual boot? I was going to burn a copy of Ubuntu Studio and create a partition for my brothers laptop to dual boot but if I understand right, this method is just lke a cd? So when i am installing i will get the prompt for partitioning/ offereing me the option to dual boot?

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    1

    Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

    i just downloaded the installer for archlinux (i386, where's the i686?), but after installing packages and configuring the system and network, i did not install a bootloader, since i thought the LUBI installer would take care of that after the installation, so after i finished everything i rebooted bu i only get the vista bootloader with two unetbootin-archlinuxrev7 entries and they both start the archlinux installer again. what am i doing wrong?

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    "Cannot find GRLDR in all devices" error using UNetbootin

    Hi All,

    I know this error has appeared previously in this thread (and others) but I think my situation might be different...

    I'm trying to use UNetbootin (and have also have Wubi) to install Xubuntu on an old Dell Latitude (CPi 300) with a clapped-out CD drive.
    The laptop is running Windows 2000 Professional on a single partitioned 12Gb HD.

    UNetbootin runs/installs perfectly, adds relevant line to BOOT.INI etc but when I reboot I get the following...

    Try hd(0,0): NTSF5: 1
    Try hd(0,1): invalid or null
    Try hd(0,2): invalid or null
    Try hd(0,3): invalid or null
    Cannot find GRLDR in all devices. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.


    Now I know there are no other partitions on the HD (only one C: partition) and from experimenting with an attached floppy that GRLDR seems to expect to find grldr, menu.lst etc on the other (non-existent) partitions.

    When I run partinfw.exe (from Terabyte Unlimited) it gives the following information...

    PARTINFW 1.10
    Copyright (c) 1996-2006 TeraByte, Inc. All rights reserved.

    Run date: 11/12/2007 18:59

    ================================================== ==================
    MBR Partition Information (HD0 - 0xE03BDF2E)
    (CHS: 1023/254/63)
    +====+====+=============+====+=============+====== =====+===========+
    | 0: | 80 | 0 1 1 | 7 | 1023 254 63 | 63 | 23567292 |
    | 1: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 2: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 3: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    +====+====+=============+====+=============+====== =====+===========+
    BOOT SECTOR INFORMATION
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    File System ID: 0x7 LBA: 63 Total Sectors: 23567292 ID: 0x1
    Jump: EB 52 90
    OEM Name: NTFS
    Bytes Per Sec: 512
    Sec Per Clust: 8
    Res Sectors: 0
    Zero 1: 0x0
    Zero 2: 0x0
    NA 1: 0x0
    Media: 0xF8
    Zero 3: 0x0
    Sec Per Track: 63
    Heads: 255
    Hidden Secs: 63
    NA 2: 0x0
    NA 3: 0x800080
    Total Sectors: 0x01679BBB
    MFT LCN: 0x04
    MFT Mirr LCN: 0x0CAF80
    Clust Per FRS: 0x1
    Clust Per IBlock: 0x1
    Volume SN: 0xF1AB01FB5ECD8E9
    Checksum: 0x0
    Boot Flag: 0xAA55
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    This seems to imply that there are four partitions in the MBR, my C: partition and three 'phantom' partitions.

    Do you think this is the root of my problems?

    Is there a way to sort out the MBR so GRLDR see only one partition?

    Am I completely on the wrong track?

    Any help would be extremely appreciated as this is cracking me up and I really want Xubuntu on the laptop.

    Thanks in advance

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

    Quote Originally Posted by ido370 View Post
    i just downloaded the installer for archlinux (i386, where's the i686?), but after installing packages and configuring the system and network, i did not install a bootloader, since i thought the LUBI installer would take care of that after the installation, so after i finished everything i rebooted bu i only get the vista bootloader with two unetbootin-archlinuxrev7 entries and they both start the archlinux installer again. what am i doing wrong?
    You'll need to install a bootloader. The bootloader used by UNetbootin is only used on a temporary basis, to launch the installer (and is removed on the next reboot); you'll need GRUB to actually boot the Linux distro.

    Would this method create an automatic dual boot? I was going to burn a copy of Ubuntu Studio and create a partition for my brothers laptop to dual boot but if I understand right, this method is just lke a cd? So when i am installing i will get the prompt for partitioning/ offereing me the option to dual boot?
    Yes, the partitioner will pop up and you can set up a dual-boot.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Beans
    1,226
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: "Cannot find GRLDR in all devices" error using UNetbootin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimly Fiendish View Post
    Hi All,

    I know this error has appeared previously in this thread (and others) but I think my situation might be different...

    I'm trying to use UNetbootin (and have also have Wubi) to install Xubuntu on an old Dell Latitude (CPi 300) with a clapped-out CD drive.
    The laptop is running Windows 2000 Professional on a single partitioned 12Gb HD.

    UNetbootin runs/installs perfectly, adds relevant line to BOOT.INI etc but when I reboot I get the following...

    Try hd(0,0): NTSF5: 1
    Try hd(0,1): invalid or null
    Try hd(0,2): invalid or null
    Try hd(0,3): invalid or null
    Cannot find GRLDR in all devices. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.


    Now I know there are no other partitions on the HD (only one C: partition) and from experimenting with an attached floppy that GRLDR seems to expect to find grldr, menu.lst etc on the other (non-existent) partitions.

    When I run partinfw.exe (from Terabyte Unlimited) it gives the following information...

    PARTINFW 1.10
    Copyright (c) 1996-2006 TeraByte, Inc. All rights reserved.

    Run date: 11/12/2007 18:59

    ================================================== ==================
    MBR Partition Information (HD0 - 0xE03BDF2E)
    (CHS: 1023/254/63)
    +====+====+=============+====+=============+====== =====+===========+
    | 0: | 80 | 0 1 1 | 7 | 1023 254 63 | 63 | 23567292 |
    | 1: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 2: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 3: | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 0 0 | 0 | 0 |
    +====+====+=============+====+=============+====== =====+===========+
    BOOT SECTOR INFORMATION
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    File System ID: 0x7 LBA: 63 Total Sectors: 23567292 ID: 0x1
    Jump: EB 52 90
    OEM Name: NTFS
    Bytes Per Sec: 512
    Sec Per Clust: 8
    Res Sectors: 0
    Zero 1: 0x0
    Zero 2: 0x0
    NA 1: 0x0
    Media: 0xF8
    Zero 3: 0x0
    Sec Per Track: 63
    Heads: 255
    Hidden Secs: 63
    NA 2: 0x0
    NA 3: 0x800080
    Total Sectors: 0x01679BBB
    MFT LCN: 0x04
    MFT Mirr LCN: 0x0CAF80
    Clust Per FRS: 0x1
    Clust Per IBlock: 0x1
    Volume SN: 0xF1AB01FB5ECD8E9
    Checksum: 0x0
    Boot Flag: 0xAA55
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    This seems to imply that there are four partitions in the MBR, my C: partition and three 'phantom' partitions.

    Do you think this is the root of my problems?

    Is there a way to sort out the MBR so GRLDR see only one partition?

    Am I completely on the wrong track?

    Any help would be extremely appreciated as this is cracking me up and I really want Xubuntu on the laptop.

    Thanks in advance
    I would open Windows' disk manager (diskmgmt.msc); that should let you see the 3 other strange volumes, and just delete them if there's nothing important in them. Perhaps also create a FAT32 partition in the freed space and copy over C:\grldr, grldr.mbr, and menu.lst following UNetbootin installation but prior to reboot; that might also help.

    Also, maybe try a "chkdsk /r" to fix anything wrong on your partitions, and defragment your disks.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: "Cannot find GRLDR in all devices" error using UNetbootin

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    I would open Windows' disk manager (diskmgmt.msc); that should let you see the 3 other strange volumes, and just delete them if there's nothing important in them. Perhaps also create a FAT32 partition in the freed space and copy over C:\grldr, grldr.mbr, and menu.lst following UNetbootin installation but prior to reboot; that might also help.

    Also, maybe try a "chkdsk /r" to fix anything wrong on your partitions, and defragment your disks.
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply!

    The thing is though, that these 'phantom' partitions don't show up in DOS/Explorer or the disk manager MSC - all these seem to think there's just one big contiguous C: partition.

    It's only GRLDR (and partinfw.exe) that seems to think there's 4 partitions - the first primary/logical partition (hd0,0) and hd0,1, hd0,2 and hd0,3.

    I think it might be a dodgy MBR, would you concur or do you think I'm on the wrong track?

    btw, I'm curently running CHKDSK and defragging the drive...

    Again, thanks for your help...

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: "Cannot find GRLDR in all devices" error using UNetbootin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimly Fiendish View Post
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply!

    The thing is though, that these 'phantom' partitions don't show up in DOS/Explorer or the disk manager MSC - all these seem to think there's just one big contiguous C: partition.

    It's only GRLDR (and partinfw.exe) that seems to think there's 4 partitions - the first primary/logical partition (hd0,0) and hd0,1, hd0,2 and hd0,3.

    I think it might be a dodgy MBR, would you concur or do you think I'm on the wrong track?

    btw, I'm curently running CHKDSK and defragging the drive...

    Again, thanks for your help...
    Here's what I eventually did...

    As per your advice, I created a small FAT32 partition (20 Mb!) and copied grldr, grldr.mbr and menu.lst to it.

    But, crucially, I also copied the \unetbootin directory to the FAT32 partition.

    On the next boot, grldr/grub/whatever it's called sprang into life and, as I type, the Ubuntu download/installation is progressing...

    Hopefully, all will go well...

    Either way, I'll post my experience...

    Cheers

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: "Cannot find GRLDR in all devices" error using UNetbootin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimly Fiendish View Post
    Here's what I eventually did...

    As per your advice, I created a small FAT32 partition (20 Mb!) and copied grldr, grldr.mbr and menu.lst to it.

    But, crucially, I also copied the \unetbootin directory to the FAT32 partition.

    On the next boot, grldr/grub/whatever it's called sprang into life and, as I type, the Ubuntu download/installation is progressing...

    Hopefully, all will go well...

    Either way, I'll post my experience...

    Cheers
    Ok, after baby-sitting the installation for hours and all appeared to be going well...

    Until, at the end, got this error saying didn't know where to install GRUB - No options semed to be acceptable or workable so selected 'finish installation'.

    Laptop now bricked - 'Cannot find OS' or something and no way (as yet, anyway) of booting into machine.

    I'm not complaining (I knew the risks) but, Jeez, this whole *ix stuff has a long way to go (someday, I'm sure it will get there).

    I speak as a developer of long standing (MS/SQL Server/Oracle) so I'm not technically inept but this has been a dispiriting experience.

    Anyway, anyone got any ideas as to how I might be able to resusicate apparently dead laptop (bearing in mind CD is kaput)?

    Thanks

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •