Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Now I get it. It was easy if one had been told to be fast on the trigger. One should go one down and hit enter. If one doen't do this within a second of that screen it goes to directly to windows.

My keyboard was not detected properly so now I ahve a keyboard totally wrong chars on it. Hope I could change that later.
    It was impossible to undo the unfortunate error by going back. It ignored such attempts.

my Old text

I have dowloaded the unetbooin exe file and have rebooted it to install now.

Now it ask the trick question if I want to uninstall the unetbootin.

it seems to go in a loop.

It says that in order to install it need to reboot.
    Ok I do that and then it asks if I really want to uninstall the installer.

What to do? If I answer No then it just don't do anything.
    If I answer yes it says it has done a successful Uninstall.

but the menu never come up.

Could my pagefil be too small then. I have two meg in it nowwhat should it make it for unetbootin to work?
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The prog says that it fail to resize and then it says it is too small.

But I have 28 gig of free space now that the page file is moved out of the white space to the right.

so what could it be?

When I try to do the Manual partitioning it shows options I don't get what it means.

It looks as if it want to take away the whole windows so I need more info on how to partition.
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tux,
    I've read up on partitioning now in both windows and ubuntu.

Those who write those instructions have no clue on what a nooby is.

They are not detailed enough to be understood by the average user like me.

My neighbor see me as a computer guru and I fail to get it.

I want to use the UNetbootin program.

What now. How could I safely use the manul partition tool.

What to answer when it asks? It doesn't indicate where it will put the partition. the whole area is win NYFS the left area on the hdd some 11giga is used by windows xp. so there is 27 gigaunleft left to the right. I want to put linux on some 20 giga there and use the 7 giga over as windows ntfs while linux should have ext3 I guess.

How do I do it?

Now how do I tell the partition tool to use say 20 giga to the right so windows get 7 giga of free space and Linux the 20 giga to the right and those 20 giga shoudl have three partiotions on them. Home, Swap, and the free space.

One need a step for step instruction.

The guided is not to be trusted. I read numerous of users who wiped out all the windows files.
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 11:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

qtparted on the live 6.06 CD failed to resize too.

So I need to find out while resizing fails. some say one should delete a windows prog that protect the hdd from being partitioned. the Guardian program something?

Even geeks seems to be skeptical. Look here what one of them says:

Using GParted to Resize Your Windows Vista Partition

One of the more advanced options for resizing your Windows Vista partition is to use the GParted Live CD, a bootable linux CD that takes you straight into GParted, the great linux utility for managing partitions. The problem is that if you resize your boot/system partition, you will be completely unable to boot without repairing windows.

First make sure that you have a bootable Windows Vista installation DVD, as you will be unable to use your computer if you don't.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sta-partition/

If even such persons says it is difficult then one wonder how noobs should do it. Yes I know when it works it just works.

But this is first time for me and it failed to resize the ntfs hdd so I don't know what to do now.

should I install wubi and see if the shotdown error rise in that older computer too or maybe older computers don't have it?
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I felt so disappointed that I failed to make partitions so I dowloaded wubi instead so I at least hav something to learn linux on.

if I am lucky it allow me to shutdown on this computer cause the more modern one had the acpi or dsdt error?

I write in linux wubi now. and will test the shutdown and get back and tell result.

Edit

yes linux wubi worked on that computer despite it told of 4 different problems with
    failed to set xfer mod err_mask=0x4 and 0x40 and I had to restart it three times.

Now I only need a step for step instruction on how to find out why the resize and partitioning failed.
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.

Beans

Re: Problems on Windows 98

Quote Originally Posted by asbjornu View Post
    I'm not on my computer to check for this right now, but I'll do ASAP and report back. If UNetbootin isn't able to fix config.sys, I'll just hack it myself according to the nice explanation in that Grub4DOS tutorial you linked to.
    I managed to take a look at this yesterday and indeed the grub stuff was missing from config.sys. I added the following lines to my config.sys file after installation (but before pressing the "Reboot" button):
    Code:
    device=grub.exe
    install=grub.exe
    shell=grub.exe
    And then rebooted. After the boot, Grub started just fine and now I have Xubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. In other words, it worked great! Thanks for making this fantastic application! I know I will have much use for in the future as well, so please continue improving it.

Beans

Re: Install over wireless connection?

Is it possible to install Ubuntu over a wireless Internet connection? My old laptop has a wireless PC Card but no ethernet port to connect to my cable modem. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install over wireless connection?

Quote Originally Posted by dweissma View Post
    Is it possible to install Ubuntu over a wireless Internet connection? My old laptop has a wireless PC Card but no ethernet port to connect to my cable modem. Thanks
    Unfortunately, no; Ubuntu doesn't provide the option to install using pre-downloaded packages. However, the UNetbootin Fedora version does; you may want to try that instead; see http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...harddrive.html
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; October 27th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I've finally managed to get my hands on the new Vista bootloader system in the form of the Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate Evaluation Edition (which theoretically works the same), so I've managed to get UNetbootin working on Vista.

I've uploaded the new Vista-compatible builds of UNetbootin for Ubuntu 7.10, download it at the usual spot at https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=198821

I'll have the rest uploaded soon (pesky dsl connection is a bit slow), if it works for any of you or doesn't on Vista please just make a short post confirming it.

Oh and if any of you are wondering why the revsion numbers have gone back to 1, it's because bzr choked out on me while I was committing, and I ended up with an utterly broken branch, so I had to transfer my code to a new location at https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~gez...otin/devel-new . The 100 is just so that it appears first in the download section.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; October 28th, 2007 at 07:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've also updated the Mandriva 2008, OpenSuse 10.3, Fedora 7, and PartedMagic Partition Manager packages to work on Vista as well.

Fedora 8 is coming out in 12 days, I'll have the UNetbootin Fedora 8 packages available soon.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast