Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

HELP!

My 7.10 install failed when the linux-generic kernel couldn't be installed.

On the following reboot, I only see a "J" on the upper left corner on the screen.

What do I need to do to get into the bootloader again??

Any help appreciated,
    Frank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Could this one help?
    http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/
    Timo's rescue CD?

the username is "root".The standard password is "rescue"

I am too new but I plan to build that one. Seems very good to have around in case something happens.

EDIT
    Sorry I wanted to refer to what tuxcantfly advised

the Super Grub Disk is what you're looking for? http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
    Last edited by nooby; October 7th, 2007 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Rather annoyingly, it appears that some last-minute, post-kernel-freeze change made it into Gutsy's kernel (thus breaking installations using UNetbootin 7.10, I presume that was the issue that fkoehn had), I've uploaded a new build with the newer kernel.

Also, I've added a version of UNetbootin that can install OpenSuse 10.3 (happens to be a pretty fine distro, anyone who hasn't tried it yet really should)

Also, Windows Vista support happens to be a quite highly-requested feature; I can't exactly build in support right now (don't have access to a Vista machine for testing), but the general procedure for getting it working is documented nicely at http://www.msfn.org/board/Multiboot_...Me_t95537.html for anybody interested in using UNetbootin on Windows Vista.

PS @fkoehn: Maybe the Super Grub Disk is what you're looking for? http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Beans

The program seems great, to install Linux aside of Windows, even from within Windows, great idea, but what if I want to fully replace the Windows? I don't care for it, can I just chose to "Use the entire disk" at the partitioner stage?
    Did someone try that option?
    I'll go for it and report later...
    Say goodbye Windows!

Beans

Well, I guess it didn't go well, but I think it has nothing to do with the fact I partitioned the whole disk, it all went well till I've got to the stage "Select and install software", after selecting what I wanted (Ubuntu Desktop) it started running, and hung at 6%, I let it go for almost 2 hours now and it's still stuck there, from time to time I hear the PC Speaker makes strange beeps, as if I were pressing some keyboard keys, you know what I mean?
    In the meantime I've burned the ISO of the official Ubuntu 7.10 beta, so I guess I'll restart and install from it.
    Do you have any ideas about what could be go wrong?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Give it time. For some reason, while caching the files (downloading from the web), the counter remains at 6%. If you're on a DSL connection, it will stay there at 6% for around 2 hours, since it's downloading 700MB of files off the internet.
    Sorry about my post, after I sent the message, I've been digging in this same thread and found this quoted post, as an answer to someone that has the same problem than me, so I think I'll let it go for a few more hours, I don't mind, I'm going home soon, and I'll leave it like this, if tomorrow I see the same situation, then I'll restart and install from CD.
    It's still weird why those pc speaker beeps occur...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Archlinux 2007.08 has been released, and it now actually has a working ftp install, which means a new build of UNetbootin for Arch... See the usual spot at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821 for downloads (exe, sh, deb, and rpm formats)

Beans

Ok, just wanted to say that everythng is fine now, I came this morning to work and the computer finished the installation, and it was only waiting for me to continue with reboot.
    After the reboot everything came up great, no windows anymore, that's what I've chosen to do.
    Thanks to tuxcantfly for the great program!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Installing a 64bits system with UNetbootin would be great... Is that scheduled by any chance?

Beans

I have two questions concerning this.

1. Can it be used to install Xubuntu? I don't see that as an option, so I have to ask.

2. After installation, is there a way I can permanently remove the Windows stuff?

I'm dealing with a laptop with 128MB of RAM and the internal CD drive does not work. The BIOS does not support booting from the USB. My only options at this point are a floppy install (if there was such a thing in the Ubuntu world) or something through the ethernet (but I'm a newb trying to leave the Windows world... instructions are not always straightforward).

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast