Okay,

After a couple of weeks of fruitless research, syncing my 838Pro with Ubuntu Linux (my preferred operating system) is starting to looking pretty pointless due to the difficulty in setting this up...

So it's time to look at alternatives.

I own my own domain & e-mail addresses, I use Evolution in Ubuntu Linux and Microsoft Outlook 2003 in Microsoft Windows XP: Professional; in a few days I will have loads of data on my 838Pro thanks to 3's X-Series service...

Using a combination of the above, what is the best way to sync data between Evolution, my 838Pro and Outlook 2003?

Also, where does "LDAP" (supported by most e-mail clients) fit in? Is that some sort of online address book that I can setup online to sync Ubuntu Linux/my 838Pro/Windows XP: Professional with?

E-Mails, calendar entries and so forth I don't really care about - it's the contacts that I really need to sync so that I am able to (more) easily use them in Ubuntu Linux, on my 838Pro and in Windows XP: Professional when reading, writing and replying to e-mail messages.

I'd prefer to accomplish this task using cheaply and/or using open source software, but will look at other options if need be...

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyba_Cowboy
Also, where does "LDAP" (supported by most e-mail clients) fit in? Is that some sort of online address book that I can setup online to sync Ubuntu Linux/my 838Pro/Windows XP: Professional with?

According to my 838Pro's help file: "Many e-mail servers, including servers running Exchange Server, can verify names with an online address book, called a directory service, using Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)".

Any ideas on how I set this up using OpenGroupware.org or similar, and would I need the computer running OpenGroupware.org (or whatever software title I choose) to be online 24/7?