Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which programme language is good for non-programmer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Which programme language is good for non-programmer?

As programme languages become easier, everyone can use programme language without knowing how it works in detail. For example everyone can make macro for spreadsheet programme, although he never studied computer science before.

If someone know a programme language, he can use programme language to make macro, backup programme, or to organise or to analysis his data, and so on.

Do you think which programme language can be useful tool for person who is not professional programmer?

Beans

Re: Which programme language is good for non-programmer?

not sure about what you can use without any experience but HTML and migrating into CSS is definitely the easiest to learn

just out of curiosity why do you add an me to end end of program and use an s instead of z in organize?

is this a different english dialect or is english simply not your first language?

Beans

the strangeness of your question makes me giggle.

Beans
    Hidden!

Most people will say Python, but I've decided I'm going to start learning Perl as my first language, after much back and forth between the two. Ruby seems nice too.

Beans

Check out Lazarus.

It's pascal which is very easy to learn.
    It has a very nice gui designer, and works on both Linux and Windows.

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

BTW why didn't you post in programming talk??
    Last edited by BuffaloX; April 27th, 2007 at 02:34 AM. Reason: added BTW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EerFoolWVU View Post
    not sure about what you can use without any experience but HTML and migrating into CSS is definitely the easiest to learn

just out of curiosity why do you add an me to end end of program and use an s instead of z in organize?

is this a different english dialect or is english simply not your first language?
    What? HTML/CSS isn't exactly a language. Seeing as you want an easy to learn powerful tool and you use Ubuntu, I would suggest Python.
    Disregard anything I post...

Beans
    Hidden!

i've only made it to 'hello world' with javascript and c++, if that's any help to you.

Beans

For non-programmers? If you don't mind being restricted to websites, PHP is definitely a great language to look into.

Not only is the syntax extremely simple, but within a week (From the start of knowing nothing!) you can create innovative and original pages, with user interaction. I remember when I started I went from nothing to a shoutbox with registration in under a week. It was quite a thrill to get something thrown together that fast, practically from thin air.

Beans
    Hidden!

http://tryruby.hobix.com/

Play with this ruby tutorial, its fun

Beans
    Hidden!

Folks are gonna hound me for this (since Linux is a C / Python playground), but I started with VBScript, and moved on to Visual Basic.

HTML & CSS are more "formatting languages" in that they don't really do a whole lot except re-format text and such that you enclose in tags. Real programming languages, like c, C++, C#, VB, Python, Ruby, etc, etc let you use logic and decision loops in your program.

The difference between

Code:
    <html>
    <b>This text is bold in HTML</b>
    </html>
    ...and...

Code:
    sub IncrementMyRs(rs as ADODB.Recordset)

Dim i as Integer

Do until rs.EOF
      rs.field(0).value = i
      i = i + 1
    Loop

end sub
    ...there's a jump in power there. But, on the plus side, when you learn one programming language, the concepts usually follow over to every other programming language you learn, making it easier to pick new ones up. (which is good, because they change so often these days, and new ones are invented every day.)

EG: All modern languages have some kind of "Do / Loop", "If / Else / Else if / End If", etc you can use to allow decision-making programs to do their thing. They all have some kind sub-procedure capability, letting you re-use code again and again by calling it as a sub-procedure from other code.

EG: For instance, that "sub" code I wrote up there is a VB sub-procedure which you'd pass an ADODB recordset to, to which it'll increment through each record until end of the recordset and make the 1st field equal to the current value of "i". I can use that sub-procedure again and again from some other code, sending it as many recordsets as I want to let it incrementally number them. This saves you from having to type that same code tons of times, for each recordset you wanted to do that to.

Certain programming languages are "higher level" than others, and by that I mean "closer to human language", not "better than the others". For instance, Visual Basic is pretty high-level, with it's own garbage-collecting, easy to understand / read code that uses words you can understand, etc. But, you usually can't control low-level (IE: closer to machine-language) devices. EG: in C & C++, you can usually directly control the printer, or directly control what programs load into what memory addresses. But in Visual Basic, you just "dimension" variables, and the VB compiler / interpreter does a lot of the leg-work for you, and usually you can't directly control printers or other hardware.

With that said, it's hard to say which language to start with without understanding what motivates you. If you're the type that likes to jump into the deep-end, sink-or-swim, and enjoys the challenge, then hop right into C++. But, if you like something a little easier, you might want to try Java, Python, Ruby. Find a decent tutorial, because a lot of what makes a programmer good is the initial "conventions" they learn when first learning to program. By that I mean, how they structure their code. Some self-taught folks may be genius programmers, but their code may look tangled and messy. Learning good structure is important, because it makes your code easier to read, making it easier for you to debug and add-to later on. (Not to mention making it easier for others to do so, if you're ever working on a large, group project).

Side note, this topic will end up with folks arguing for both sides. Some folks will argue that "newer" languages, like VB and Java, suck, because they don't force you to do "real programming", IE: "newer" languages usually do the memory allocation, garbage-handling, etc for you. Others will argue that "older" programming languages, like straight C, are antiquated and obsolete, because you have to spend so much time coding to handle memory usage, etc.

To this I would say, both are right, and you'll have to simply learn some programming to understand why. Using HTML as an example, if you open up a text editor and do a web-site by hand, you can make a very trimmed down, efficient one that loads fast, because you've left out a lot of unnecessary code that some web-page builders (Nvu, Amaya, Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, etc) add in. But, it takes more time to build it by hand. The programs that do it for you may add some "fluff", but make it fast and easy to build pages. Some will say the hand-done method is best. Others say the helper program method is best.

But, when it comes down to it, real programmers do both. They know how to do everything by hand (IE: like old-school C programmers), but they're not afraid to use "newer" tools and languages that increase productivity. There's nothing wrong with cranking out loads of code with the help of an IDE. But it's always good to be able to fine-tune it once it's cranked out, and that ends up taking knowledge of everything that's going on under the hood.

Anyways, with all that said, I'd recommend installing an IDE from the "programming" section in Synaptic and looking for a good tutorial. There's an IDE that uses a "Visual Basic" like language (which I was gonna try out), one for GTK (Gnome Tool Kit) applet design, etc. Pick something you're interested in, and start with a project that's fun, preferably visual, too (EG: code a small game, which is usually what folks get their feet wet with once they pass the whole training curve.)

Ok, let the flame -session ensue...LOL! Talking about programming languages is like comparing Linux to Windows...you'll get some heated discussion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast