Thread: I think I may have started something ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I think I may have started something ...

Everyone I work with (a bunch of programmers) is getting tired of all my linux chatter, previously about gentoo, and running linux on all kinds of strange hardware (xbox, palm pilot game cube etc) but recently I have been talking about the new release of ubuntu, well in the past 2 days I have had to burn 3 386 dvd's and 2 64 bit disks, and it's starting to pop up on deskstops all over the place.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

stop those AMD64 guys before they get hurt

If it's the guys with AMD64 processors who are loading the 64-bit version convince them the use the i386 32-bit discs instead. I've tried the native AMD 64-bit discs with Edgy and Feisty and both didn't work as well as the 32-bit and I had to reload Feisty because I was having graphics problems. My graphics and windows look and behave much better without the native 64-bit version...

Beans

Re: I think I may have started something ...

Keep it up, man! The Dell news was big today.

As of December 2006, there were 18 million Ubuntu desktops installed. And the hits per day on distrowatch has them way ahead. Of course, MS has 661 million so there is a long way to go. Ten percent of the MS share would be awesome.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to hear about your problems Razzl, but I have one system with removable drives, that has a Dual Xeon setup, and I run 32 bit and 64 bit and see no difference. The only issue I had with the 64, was with some flash plugins that I know there is a fix for (just havn't done it yet ..)

Primary use of 64 bit here at work will be on servers.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

AMD64 was on a laptop

I should have made it clear my AMD64 processor (dual-core) is a laptop. That's a far cry from a server, which of course would be using the 64-bit software natively. Using the 32-bit version cleaned up a lot of problems on the laptop (including a "sticky" Kubuntu desktop), so I would suggest users of home machines look at reinstalling with the i386 disk if your AMD64 machine is misbehavin'...

Beans
    Distro

I have no experience with amd64 bit, all my 64 bit boxes are intel ones. The servers (and my desktop at home) are xeons (hyperthreaded and dual cores) and there are a couple of Duo jobs at work that are 64 bit. My laptop also a duo, was one of the 32 bit only jobs when they first came out.

I had to burn more disks today, there is a virus spreading, it's the "Idon'twantvistaonmycomputergivemesomethingels e" virus ....