View Poll Results: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Voters
2282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archlinux

34 1.49%
  • Debian

398 17.44%
  • Fedora

559 24.50%
  • Gentoo

453 19.85%
  • Linspire

26 1.14%
  • Libranet

25 1.10%
  • Mandrake

442 19.37%
  • MEPIS

87 3.81%
  • Slackware

192 8.41%
  • Xandros

66 2.89%
Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

i tried a _lot_ of distros...

coming from yoper and staying with ubuntu

Beans

I think its odd that the Debian-based distros -- Linspire, Libranet, MEPIS, Xandros -- have the lowest scores. What does that mean??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cseg
    I think its odd that the Debian-based distros -- Linspire, Libranet, MEPIS, Xandros -- have the lowest scores. What does that mean??
    All it means to me is that people mostly follow the crowd... and if someone has a better marketing strategy, that's where they all go!

We as ubuntu users on the other hand are special... in the way that it takes a special kind of person to realize there is a real choice out there and the more intelligent and right brained people seem to make wiser choices. The rest are left brained and follow either the crowd or their egos.

My dad always said it takes a special kind of person to be of the elite!
    The few, the proud, the Elite!

Take care... ;0)

Beans
    Hidden!

My path to enlightnment...
    Red Hat-> Slackware-> FreeBSD-> Mepis-> Debian-> Ubuntu
    I must confess that it's been challenging at times, if not downright brutal. Since Ubuntu, I've never looked back...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal
    mandrake -> Fedora -> yopper -> ububtu.

Beans
    Hidden!

it simply means that they are not as widely used as e.g. mandrake, suse, debian or gentoo.

Beans

It might also mean that users of debian based distros are not looking to change! I have been using Libranet linux for years very happily, and still use it on my server and dual boot on 2 others. When libranet 3 comes out I'll most likely be using it. I'm looking at ubuntu and mepis as alternatives, and very much like both of these distros. Although mepis is kde based, I installed gnome 2.6 with no problem. Still, since ubuntu is so up to date (gnome 2.8!) and will be using X.org soon, I may end up here. BUT only if the theme is changed; no humans on the desktop, please!

Beans

i find it funny that quit a few of us are switchig from yoper to ubuntu

especially considering i heard about ubuntu on the Yoper forums, so i ordered a few cd's (well 20) but still stuck with yoper, then it died, HARD. not only my install, but there servers as well. me being a newb i hevily rely on atp-get, also im not too fond of kde either, anyways during a reintsall of yoper, it was showing my HDD had bad sectors, total bummer. so i barrowed a HDD, while i figure out the prob with mine, and went with ubuntu. I LOVE IT, Yoper was pushing me away from linux, while ubuntu is pulling me in.

just interested to see how yoper was doing, i stopped in the irc room, 10 users on, 1 talking, and he wasnt even a yoper user. wanna know why..................................cuz it killed hid HDD too

YOPER......the HDD killer

ill be with ubuntu for a while

p.s. yoper was my first distro, and from the looks of thing ubuntu will be my secong...and my last......cuz im not going anywhere

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arctic
    it simply means that they are not as widely used as e.g. mandrake, suse, debian or gentoo.
    Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. It simply means that folks who chose to use this particular Debian-base distro have not spent much time with other Debian-based distros. I find that interesting. Does ubuntu have more buzz than these other distros? Or is the fact that ubuntu is free the differentiating factor? But Xandros has a free-beer Open Circulation Edition. So is it the Software Libre aspect that makes the most difference?

That explains it: ubuntu users are just a bunch of leeches!

(ducks and runs away)

Just kidding. I have always been fond of Debian and I have probably used all of the Debian-based distros. Does anyone remember Storm Linux (was it Stormix?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Technically, Yoper, but I still use it on my laptop. It's my favorite distro for speed alone. I'm just giving Ubuntu a shot because I like trying different distros. So far the experience has been great. 8)

Before Yoper, it was Slackware.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast