View Poll Results: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Voters
2282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archlinux

34 1.49%
  • Debian

398 17.44%
  • Fedora

559 24.50%
  • Gentoo

453 19.85%
  • Linspire

26 1.14%
  • Libranet

25 1.10%
  • Mandrake

442 19.37%
  • MEPIS

87 3.81%
  • Slackware

192 8.41%
  • Xandros

66 2.89%
Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

I came from a long line of distro junkies... It's a curse that I'm glad to be rid of.
    Here is my extensive list of Distro's (not in order, but pretty close)

Mandrake
    Redhat
    Slackware
    Gentoo
    Slackware
    Knoppix
    Debian
    Slackware
    Arch
    Slackware
    Gentoo
    Arch
    Fedora
    Ubuntu <--- still in use

I'm surprised my HD hasn't died on me yet. BTW, all of this was done with a dual boot alongside WInXP.

Yep, I had problems... but I found my cure. I guess you can just say that I was being picky. Some good came out of it though... I can configure my way in and out of ANYTHING now, with out having to refer to docs, wiki's and forums. I just know. So I plan on helping out here as much as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Infatuated_iPod
    Ronny: I totaly agree with you about the atmosphere of this fourm. It is just full of people who dont get mad if someone who is new to linux (like myself) has a "stupid" question.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a stupid question except one that is never asked.

Also, it should be the job of all of us linux users to help new people out! How else are we going to get people away from microsoft's garbage? If we give them crap about not knowing anything then they will just stick to windows, and we dont want that.
    You are SO RIGHT!! I am fed up with the evil empire and their shananagans!! (to put it lightly)

I am proud to be a part of this group!

Thank you everyone for being so caring, understanding and helpful without furry or insults!!

Amazing!!

Beans

Being of help is my specialty. I'd love to be the guy to go to for detailed problems..if i can't help you then I'd redirect you to someone who can. I too, as all of us were, a linux newb. I know what its like to have a stupid question brought up front exampled for its greatness. Each and every question holds an importance. Please be open minded and share always...help is always available.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

Mandrake -> Fedora -> Slackware -> Fedora -> Slackware -> Ubuntu

I still got slack on this setup as a dual boot with Ubuntu, i have to say i am impressed, usually after a day i go back to slack which hasn't happened yet..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi All,

My ditros have been:

Redhat 5.4 > mandrake 8.0 > SUSE 8.1 > stopped for a while > Gentoo > SUSE 9.1 > Yoper > Gentoo

havn't actually tried ubuntu yet, my VDU went bang a few days ago so I'll need to wait till I can afford the new LG flat panel I want before I go on. I'm gonna have a quick go with Arch linux first though but it's looking like ubuntu is gonna be a keeper though I hope they get KDE in soon (sorry but thats my preference along with xfce4, and yes I know you can get it in the universe repository but I would like to stay as stable as possible).

I always wanted to try debian but was put off by the out of date software unless you went to sid. Yoper was good but still rpm based and I had some issues and gentoo... well my PC just isn't fast enough to compile everything all the time other than that it's ok.

Hopefully I'll get my new monitor soon and give it a try (all donations to my monitor fund are welcome )

Beans

I have used them all en i think en the one i used most is mandrake,
    but i stay now with ubuntu i think it's a great distro en verry stable en there are a loth off packages availble.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I've had quite a story starting with Corel Linux on my parents computer in a FAT32 filesystem.

Corel -> Mandrake -> Red Hat -> Fedora -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu

Seems alot of us are from Gentoo... Did you all get sick of waiting for everything to compile or just sick of waiting for Gnome releases? Me it was both.

Also the lack of other "n00b" type distros might be the fact the Ubuntu is still in Pre-Release. Just crazy early uptakers who know stuff anyway... Well I assume anyone who can install Gentoo know's their stuff

Beans

Mandrake>RedHat>Mandrake>FedoraCore1>M andrake>Gentoo>Mandrake>Arch>Mandrake& gt;BeOS>Mandrake>
    Gentoo>Mandrake>Gentoo>Mandrake>Fedora Core2>Ubuntu

There are alot that I've forgoten, There have been so many. This is over a year and a half.

It looks like Ubuntu will be the first since Mandrake that sticks for more that a month straght

Beans

The first distro I installed was Mandrake. The reason of cource Mandrakes reputation as newbie friendly distro. After a while I got sick of how bloated Mandrake was. There was loads of programs of which I knew maybe one fift and used even less.

So I was looking for new distro and found Gentoo. I loved the idea that I would be in total controll and know exatly what was in my computer. The down side was complex install (at this point I had used Linux only few months) and the compilation took really long time in my 500MHz P3 laptop.

After a year and half with Gentoo I started to realise it wast for me. I wanted something simpler to maintain and use. I was on a lookout for new distro when I notised news about Ubuntu. I liked the name and liked the colours even more. I also wanted to try out Gnome and didn't want too many programs. I installed Ubuntu and absolutely loved it.

Beans

I was running Yoper. Yoper is pretty good, if you stay inside the box they put you in. Their distro isn't compatible with anything out their, unless they build/compile it. Amd, thye removed the Visor module out of the Kernel, better for speed. Well, I use a sony Clie Palm, so I need the Visor module.

Oh a little tip, the Ubuntu Live CD, makes a great recovery cd.

~Alan

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast