View Poll Results: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Voters
2282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archlinux

34 1.49%
  • Debian

398 17.44%
  • Fedora

559 24.50%
  • Gentoo

453 19.85%
  • Linspire

26 1.14%
  • Libranet

25 1.10%
  • Mandrake

442 19.37%
  • MEPIS

87 3.81%
  • Slackware

192 8.41%
  • Xandros

66 2.89%
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

That explains it: ubuntu users are just a bunch of leeches!

(ducks and runs away)

Just kidding. I have always been fond of Debian and I have probably used all of the Debian-based distros. Does anyone remember Storm Linux (was it Stormix?)
    I didn't remember Storm Linux until you refreshed my memory! That was a great distro for its time! I wished they would have stuck around. I had even spoke with that company several times and they said they were going to eat up the market! I asked them if Linux will (one day) become the mainstream...they kind of got mad at that statement and said, "Linux IS the mainstream" (at that time). Funny...

Re: your above comment: I think the people here at ubuntu are probably the more intelligent ones out of all the forums I belong to. Other forums will attack you for any reason and hey... if youre a noobie...??? Watch out!!

People here are just plain nicer and I just like that! hehe

That's ok that a large number of the population stay away... I think... it would definitely change the energy of this forum.

I always say go for the niche market... youre more apt to have a success than if you market to everyone and their mother; as you will then be forced to deal with all the (lets put it nicely here) less intelligent beings out there in la-la land.

Well... just my opinion... everyone has one!

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HungSquirrel
    Technically, Yoper, but I still use it on my laptop. It's my favorite distro for speed alone. I'm just giving Ubuntu a shot because I like trying different distros. So far the experience has been great. 8)

Before Yoper, it was Slackware.
    So, since you have been on ubuntu and Yoper... how would you rate the comparison of speed? THX!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny
    Quote Originally Posted by HungSquirrel
    Technically, Yoper, but I still use it on my laptop. It's my favorite distro for speed alone. I'm just giving Ubuntu a shot because I like trying different distros. So far the experience has been great. 8)

Before Yoper, it was Slackware.
    So, since you have been on ubuntu and Yoper... how would you rate the comparison of speed? THX!
    Well other then what Yoper has noticed, I've ran Ubuntu on my ancient IBM ThinkPad 333Mhz and my experiences with it are acually very pleasing. I haven't seen a distro run any better then what Ubuntu has on this laptop. My thanks you the developers!
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

I started out with Mandrake went to SuSE and ended up with Fedora Core 2. Between SuSE and Fedora I must have tried at least 20 other distros. Most didn't last very long on my machine. Of course a few wouldn't even load up. I've finally settled on Fedora as my distro of choice. But a debian distro has always been one I kept in the back of my mind. Ubuntu seems like I'm finally going to have my debian distro I've always wanted. Can't say I'll give up Fedora. They are doing great things with it. Their YUM package manager is as easy to use as apt-get. Of course being a Gnome man (KDE has never appealed to me) both Ubuntu and Fedora are made for me. It's a tough choice to make. I think I'll keep both!
    LongTooth
    Houston, Texas

Beans

I agree. Ubuntu and Fedora/Redhat will be my primary distrobutions! I'm very ancious awaiting for the Fedora Core 3 Final Release.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LongTooth
    I started out with Mandrake went to SuSE and ended up with Fedora Core 2. Between SuSE and Fedora I must have tried at least 20 other distros. Most didn't last very long on my machine. Of course a few wouldn't even load up. I've finally settled on Fedora as my distro of choice. But a debian distro has always been one I kept in the back of my mind. Ubuntu seems like I'm finally going to have my debian distro I've always wanted. Can't say I'll give up Fedora. They are doing great things with it. Their YUM package manager is as easy to use as apt-get. Of course being a Gnome man (KDE has never appealed to me) both Ubuntu and Fedora are made for me. It's a tough choice to make. I think I'll keep both!

What makes Fedora more benificial to your needs than Mandrake 10.1?
    I have used Fedora myself and couldn't wait to get it off my machine after a week of using it! It is so 'Techie'. As others have stated, the OS should make one's life easier and more funtional... not having to sit and learn coding and recompiling and whatever else... I have no desire to be a nerd/geek/techie or anything of that nature.

Some of the things in Fedora that were suppose to work ... did not work for me. Frankly, it frustrated the hell out of me. With Mandrake, everything just simply works! I have used Mandrake on and off for four years and always had great luck with it on any machine I installed it on.

No offense... to each their own... I really am just wondering what makes you believe Fedora is better than Mandrake. Thank You!

Beans

Ronny:
    Odd that you find Fedora too techie. I find Fedora just the opposite for me. I also don't care for the 'down in the bowels' distros. They have no appeal for me. Once again, Yum makes life a hell of a lot easier for the average user. And I see myself as on of those.

As far a Mandrake go, I have not had the pleasure of using it lately. One of these day perhaps. But for now, Fedora and Ubuntu are all I could want and one of the reasons is because they are not to geeky.
    LongTooth
    Houston, Texas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My first distro was Mandrake 8 with the Yast package manager in 2001. I ended up corrupting the O/S and put Linux aside for several months. My first successfull Linux experience was with Red Hat 7.3 and then Red Hat 9. I also decided along the way that I prefer Gnome over KDE.

Next came Fedora Core 1 as my main Distro. I put Lindows on my daughters machine and she like it for awhile. Lindows/Linspire reminds me of AOL in that you can out grow it after awhile. Then I tried to install Debian and that was a nightmere until a decent net installer game along; so now it is possible at least to get Testing installed. I tried Libranet too but it was too old for my taste.

Now my daughter has Ubuntu on her machine and I have Ubuntu, Fedora Core 2, and Arch Linux installed. Arch linux took many weeks to get everything working, so I will probably leave it on my disk for ever and update it every month or so with pacman! I just replacement my main disk drive with a 160GB, so I got room to have several Distro's installed.

So, my daughter and I are giving Ubuntu a spin; my hope is that this is my dream Debian Distro too. However, I find I still have feelings for Fedora since her mother (RH) was my first love!

Oh, and I work I use Mandrake since this is the owners preference. Currently we are using 9.1 and will install Mandrake 10.1 offical when it is released. Our company recently created it's own embedded Distro for realtime control applications. Live is good!

Beans

Just switched from Fedora Core 2, though I also tried Fedora Core 3 Test 3. Before that I've used Slackware, Caldera, Redhat, Lycoris and others.

Beans

Ronny: I totaly agree with you about the atmosphere of this fourm. It is just full of people who dont get mad if someone who is new to linux (like myself) has a "stupid" question.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a stupid question except one that is never asked.

Also, it should be the job of all of us linux users to help new people out! How else are we going to get people away from microsoft's garbage? If we give them crap about not knowing anything then they will just stick to windows, and we dont want that.
    ---> Pointing in the Right Direction

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast