View Poll Results: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Voters
2282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archlinux

34 1.49%
  • Debian

398 17.44%
  • Fedora

559 24.50%
  • Gentoo

453 19.85%
  • Linspire

26 1.14%
  • Libranet

25 1.10%
  • Mandrake

442 19.37%
  • MEPIS

87 3.81%
  • Slackware

192 8.41%
  • Xandros

66 2.89%
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

I was always a redhat/fedora/gentoo fan. But ubuntu has completely stolen all of the attention.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

I've been RH/Fedora user, and as soon as I tried Ubuntu, I couldn't beleive Linux can be so fast. It is much, much faster then Fedora. Not as fast as BeOS, but big improvement
    Gnome on Ubuntu is fast as Xfce4 on Fedora (on Fedora, Gnome was unusable on my dual celeron 2x450Mhz with 256MB of RAM).

Beans

I used debian for a longer time, and allways migrated from stable to testing to sid, and therefore destroyed it at long sight. Stables packages where out dated, testing was partly usable, sid was bleeding edge and broken most of the time.

So I turned away, used os2 and beos for some years. As each of it vanished, I turned to debian again - and was fustrated again about a mass of out dated packages.

Then I found archlinux, and was pleased by up to date packages and the modern package system. But I felt it was no modern way to edit every bit and script to set up a system from scratch, as I think most linux users would share 80 % of their settings, if they do well. Furthermore, archlinux' main focus is kde and english language environment. I asked several times for better support of native languages, was snubbed for that by several package maintainers, and felt this was no longer my home.

Ubuntu raise up in the news, and I immediately tested it. I am very glad using it.

Beans

For the most part, I had settled on Slackware 10 w/Dropline Gnome. Prior to that, I had bounced around between quite a few distros (Fedora Core 2, Arch, Debian, Mepis, Libranet, Xandros, Suse, ...) trying to find one that just "felt right" & could work with a Win4Lin-enabled kernel.

Slack was actually working out quite nicely, until I had/let Dropline upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8 last week -- it seems that 2.8 doesn't like non 2.6.x kernels, and I was running 2.4.2 in order to get the Win4Lin running. That got me started on another hunt to see if anything could satify my wants/needs, particularly given that I'd become quite partial to Gnome vs. KDE (something about KDE just rubs me the wrong way...).

Fortunately, I came across the Ubuntu notice on Distrowatch.com, and tried out the live cd. I was hooked soon thereafter, and installed the full pre-release warty. It installed in an amazingly easy fashion, and I haven't looked back since, even in spite of the lack of a Win4Lin-enabled kernel (I'm hoping that someone with more time/patience/skill than me will be able to rectify the absence of that functionality, given that my attempts at kernel compilation have been abject failures in the past...).

Ubuntu has, IMO, the best out-of-the-box "feel" of any Linux distro that I've tried, and in fact strongly rivals (again, IMO) Mac OS X Panther as the best desktop OS out there.

-ghp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gpiper

Ubuntu has, IMO, the best out-of-the-box "feel" of any Linux distro that I've tried, and in fact strongly rivals (again, IMO) Mac OS X Panther as the best desktop OS out there.

-ghp
    I personally really don't care for the Mac... I've used Mac OS 7 all the way up to OSX Panther and I feel that the Mac is one of the MOST UN-user friendly systems on the market today! I would rather use ******* than Mac. In the Mac enviroment, you are forced to make FIVE clicks in order to do what you could do with TWO clicks in Winblows! The Mac OS frustrated me so... that I look back and cannot for the life of me understand WHY I stayed on that OS for so long!! Dazed and confused I guess... or got caught up in the nature of "I got a Mac and you don't...HA HA!" Immature... Yes, I know... But now I don't need to worry about all that anymore as I absolutely LOVE LINUX and Ubuntu has now taken my breath away!!!

Great Job Ubuntu Guys!!!

P.S. Please just change your new default OS theme! I want to add this OS to all my friends and family's computers and I really don't want the new theme coming up on their desktops. I will be left having to explain why this is! THX AGAIN!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by gpiper
    trying to find one that just "felt right" & could work with a Win4Lin-enabled kernel.-ghp
    Like you, I was a little unhappy that the Win4Lin folks for not making patched kernels for the main Distros anymore, but I finally had no choice but to "roll my own". I downloaded a 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org, applied the patch and build a new kernel for Fedora Core 2. There is some good info on the Win4Lin site and kernel.org to help. From my earlier experience with trying to building a 2.4 kernel and failing, I found the 2.6 kernel build much easier!

We will have to build our own 2.6 Win4Lin patched kernel for Ubuntu if we want to run WIN95/98/ME. Personally I still use Quicken and do my taxes with TurboTax. With Win4Lin, I never have to boot ******* anymore!

Beans
    Hidden!

my evolution towards ubuntu:
    redhat - suse - ark - lba - yoper - munjoy - fedora - mandrake and now ubuntu on dual-boot with vidalinux (gentoo-based).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I currently grub between Ubuntu and Fedora Core 2 (my baseline) - however, when Ubuntu goes "gold", this may change...
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans

I came the way of Mandrake but only because it was the only distro to support PPC even slightly. I have used Gentoo also but didn't care for all the manual setup required to get my PPC machines working 100%. Ubuntu has simply been the distro that detected the most components of my system correctly. This means alot to me because I am constantly adding and subtracting machines from my home network. ( most of my machines are older G4's that have been taken out of service at work-production artwork for a display company ) Unbuntu runs extremely fast even on the oldest machines putting alot of life in these cast away computers.

Beans

I was using fedora, but i only had it for a little while, before that i hade Suse 9.0, but i didnt like that very much either. Ubuntu is amazing.

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast