View Poll Results: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Voters
2282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archlinux

34 1.49%
  • Debian

398 17.44%
  • Fedora

559 24.50%
  • Gentoo

453 19.85%
  • Linspire

26 1.14%
  • Libranet

25 1.10%
  • Mandrake

442 19.37%
  • MEPIS

87 3.81%
  • Slackware

192 8.41%
  • Xandros

66 2.89%
Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    I personally view Ubuntu's popularity with "power linux-users" like gentoo users as a seal of approval from those knowledgeable of Linux. And there is no shortage of affection from first-time/entry level Linux users either.
    I agree. I was *extremely* surprised when I first started watching Ubuntu's progress and started seeing Slackware and Gentoo guys jump aboard. It was easy to dismiss Ubuntu as a 'noob distro', but after I got indepth with examining Ubuntu I was quite surprised at the depth (and the Debian roots helped alot too, I'm a HUGE fan of apt/dpkg). Ubuntu is probably the best desktop/workstation distro I've found so far. Plus, it's easy to sychronize between my Debian server and my Ubuntu workstation. Now, if they'd just come out with a Ubuntu version of FreeBSD...
    dataw0lf
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dataw0lf
    Now, if they'd just come out with a Ubuntu version of FreeBSD...
    dataw0lf
    they did its called OpenBSD

Beans

I used Fedora Core 2 for about a day until dad wanted Windows XP back so we had to reload the computer. I'm still not actully useing Ubuntu but I'm going to save up to get one by shoveling driveways...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    I used Fedora Core 2 for about a day until dad wanted Windows XP back so we had to reload the computer. I'm still not actully useing Ubuntu but I'm going to save up to get one by shoveling driveways...
    ROTFL Whoa who almost died off of that one? you or your dad?

why not dual boot if you have the space?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    why not dual boot if you have the space?
    I tried to install Fedora 2 on my backup drive (which I deleted to try to install Windows Server 2003) but it didn't work...

I followed the windows instrctions to make a new partition useing MS Dos TO THE WORD and it didn't work...

and after having to spend 8 hours reloading the computer my parents don't want ANYTHING having to do with Linux on the pc. Plus the fact that they litterly blame EVERYTHING that goes wrong on the pc on me. A week ago I was getting yelled at just about every day from my dad because he thinks me downloading GIMP, Firefox, Openoffice and other programs had to do with the computer not working right...

It's just alot easier for me to shovel driveways than to have to put up with the moronic reasoning and getting yelled at every day from my parents for "screwing up the computer"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lol i hope it snows alot

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried to install Fedora 2 on my backup drive (which I deleted to try to install Windows Server 2003) but it didn't work...

I followed the windows instrctions to make a new partition useing MS Dos TO THE WORD and it didn't work...

and after having to spend 8 hours reloading the computer my parents don't want ANYTHING having to do with Linux on the pc. Plus the fact that they litterly blame EVERYTHING that goes wrong on the pc on me. A week ago I was getting yelled at just about every day from my dad because he thinks me downloading GIMP, Firefox, Openoffice and other programs had to do with the computer not working right...

It's just alot easier for me to shovel driveways than to have to put up with the moronic reasoning and getting yelled at every day from my parents for "screwing up the computer"...
    Dude, that sucks. Luckily my parents were scared of the computer, and even now only gets on about 5 minutes a week to send an email or something. So until I built them a computer (when I moved to college) they never touched it or cared what I did.

Beans

and after having to spend 8 hours reloading the computer my parents don't want ANYTHING having to do with Linux on the pc.
    8 hours? Upgrade the pc, or better, upgrade your parents! *lol*

Beans

Talking Re: What Linux Distro were you using before Ubuntu?

I orignally came from Red Hat 3.x , hows that for a long time

Since then, Debian Woody. Fell in love with apt-get. Tried Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo, stuck with Knoppix for the logest time due to the bleeding edge, but it always seem to come up short. I installed Ubuntu and was blown away.

I love it. GOOD WORK!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

uh, ubuntu is my first distro. I read about how people are praising it for what it is. I came from windows, where (most of the time) things just worked, and you were a slave to MS.

After installing ubuntu, things were broken. GDM, and my wireless card were broke. I almost regretted moving to linux, until I saw the light, and it changed me. Ubuntu is perhaps the best thing that ever happened to me. I haven't dealt with other distros, so I don't exactly know what ubuntu has over FC, or slackware, or even debian. But it works, and it works as expected. That's all I expect.

<< Has been using ubuntu about 3 months.
    ls -Rla | wc -l

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast