Thread: Gaming on Ubuntu (especially FPS)

Beans

Gaming on Ubuntu (especially FPS)

Can somebody recommend some games to play on Ubuntu? The only FPS I have at the moment is Sauerbraten and although it can be fun in brief spurts, too often servers are empty and the game itself dulls in comparison to say Counter-Strke: Source.

I may eventually just go ahead and setup my system to dual-boot, using Windows only for gaming but for now its not that big of a deal, just looking to find some new games.

So lets have it? Any game recs out there for Ubuntu? FPS are my favorite, but I also love sports and racing games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Gaming on Ubuntu (especially FPS)

Wolvenstein Enemy Territory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If you don't mind commercial games, there is a good linux installer for Soldier of Fortune II. There is also an installer for Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor Allied Assault. The only thing about the MOHAA installer is that the audio doesn't work perfectly, which is kind of annoying.

There's a decent racing game that is in the repos called TORCS.

With wine you can get some of your other games to work too. Go to www.winehq.org and find the HowTo section. You can find an applications database there to see what works.

There is also a website called frankscorner.org that tells how to get a lot of games/apps working with wine.

There are other resource like what someone listed above that will tell you open source games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." Tenzin Gyatso

Beans

Nexuiz
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Alien Arena as well. Plus this fall when UT2007 comes out I will be first in line to buy that.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

BZFlag!!!!!
    Great network tank game. Lots of people on the internet server all day long. I'm sooo addicted to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EerFoolWVU View Post
    Can somebody recommend some games to play on Ubuntu?
    OpenGL games

CSS with Wine