Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

i went through those steps trying to get the java-6-doc.zip to get through the install, but instead of the unpacked install complete goodness that you got for output, this came out.

Setting up sun-java6-doc (6-00-2ubuntu2) ...
    [/tmp/jdk-6-doc.zip]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/jdk-6-doc.zip or
    /tmp/jdk-6-doc.zip.zip, and cannot find /tmp/jdk-6-doc.zip.ZIP, period.
    dpkg: error processing sun-java6-doc (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    sun-java6-doc

is this saying something to the effect that i need the install cd? this was downloaded of the net, and there aren't more volumes available of this file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The installation went OK:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    java version "1.6.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is also a symlink "docs" in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00 to Javadocs,
    but it doesn't show up in Eclipse:
    Note: This element neither has attached source nor attached Javadoc and
    hence no information could be found.
    I am able to access Javadoc in Browser, so it's there. Any ideas/hints on that?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by zeroc; June 3rd, 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok, so i think i got it, i was actually wasn't downloading that file from the website, just wasn't paying much attention to it. it's actually a pretty big file, and seemingly requires the download manager that it wants to use. so just click on the checkbox, and let it open it with whatever program that it wants to use. just make sure that you download to somewhere you know. then follow what the rest of these guys have said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

These instructions don't seem to work when I do the install for sun-java6-jdk:

"2) Once it downloads the packages and begins the installation, you’ll get a screen that contains the Sun Operating System Distributor License for Java and hit Enter to continue. You’ll see a dialog that asks you if you agree with the DLJ license terms. Select Yes, and hit Enter; the JRE will finish installing."

What happens is the confirmation screen comes up and nothing I do is accepted. <Enter> does nothing, clicking on the OK at the bottom of the screen does nothing, forward slash <Enter> does not respond. How do I get the confirmation screen accepted? There is no "Yes" visible to select. Where is it hidden?

Dave A.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by zeroc View Post
    The installation went OK:
    java version "1.6.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
    There is also a symlink "docs" in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00 to Javadocs,
    but it doesn't show up in Eclipse:
    Note: This element neither has attached source nor attached Javadoc and
    hence no information could be found.
    I am able to access Javadoc in Browser, so it's there. Any ideas/hints on that?

Thanks in advance!
    Normally, when we are coding java in Eclipse, we do not see any javadoc help when we hover over a keyword. This is because by default, eclipse is not configured to use javadoc. This is how you can enable javadoc in eclipse.

1. In the package explorer select the JRE System LIbrary -> rt.jar and go to it's properties.

2. In the Javadoc Location provide the javadoc URL. This may be eiher a URL like "http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/" or a local path like mine "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/docs/api/" (if you have javadoc installed locally, which is recommended)

3. Now when you mouse-hover on a java method or something, you shall see its associated javadoc. If its lengthy and you can't see all of it, press F2.

http://zaher14.blogspot.com/2007/05/...h-eclipse.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you have any idea why I get this message?

Package sun-java6-plugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package sun-java6-plugin has no installation candidate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: HowTo:How to Install Java in Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Attempting to install Java, but without success.

Followed the directions above, Java downloaded, but then I saw a screen which isn't in the instructions (I think). And quite frankly, I've forgotten exactly what it said, but there was an <OK>. However, hitting enter did nothing. In fact, there seemed no way to respond to it. The window was informational and there was no prompt, just the <OK> which did nothing.

I also did not see the following on the first try that left me with the seemingly nonfunctioning <OK> dialog :

...a screen that contains the Sun Operating System Distributor License for Java and hit Enter to continue. You’ll see a dialog that asks you if you agree with the DLJ license terms. Select Yes, and hit Enter; the JRE will finish installing.
    So, I then shut down Terminal and began the process again. That delivered a message about something still being open and it continued no further. I only knew to quit Ubuntu to close whatever files were open and did so.

I restarted Ubuntu and Terminal. Again I attempted to follow the Java installation instructions, but now I get the following:

Code:
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    Password:
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$
    Help, please?

Also, why is it that Terminal reports an older version of Java being installed, but Firefox doesn't see it? About : plugins entered into Firefox does not list the older version of Java that Terminal says is there.

Code:
    jimmy@ubuntu:~$ java -version
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu5)
    Oh, and I'm a complete noob so please bear with me. I'm finding I am oblivious to the obvious when it comes to Ubuntu and Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by davidma777 View Post
    These instructions don't seem to work when I do the install for sun-java6-jdk:

"2) Once it downloads the packages and begins the installation, you’ll get a screen that contains the Sun Operating System Distributor License for Java and hit Enter to continue. You’ll see a dialog that asks you if you agree with the DLJ license terms. Select Yes, and hit Enter; the JRE will finish installing."

What happens is the confirmation screen comes up and nothing I do is accepted. <Enter> does nothing, clicking on the OK at the bottom of the screen does nothing, forward slash <Enter> does not respond. How do I get the confirmation screen accepted? There is no "Yes" visible to select. Where is it hidden?
    Sorry I didn't catch this before, but this appears to be the very same problem I mention just above.

Thanks [IA] for some very much needed help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Although it is not at all my intention, this posting may step on a few toes here.

I heard tons of good stuff about Ubuntu, and thus decided to give it a try. However, it is still light-years away from prime-time or coming the least bit close to taking over the world--regardless of what its supporters say.

Why is that? Well, I just read this somewhere else online and must agree--that is, community support of Ubuntu leaves much to be desired. (Please, this is meant as constructive criticism. I want Ubuntu/Linux to be everywhere just as much as any true Linux geek.) Yes, many questions get answered in these forums, but I have also noticed that many (far too many?) go unanswered--sometimes for days, weeks, or are never answered.

Take this thread and my question as an example. Obviously, I am having the same problem trying to follow this tutorial someone else is having. They have not received a response of any kind and neither have I. I know this may be difficult for some to understand, but if I'm to use Ubuntu it has to work. But without Java, a "modern" OS/browser combo just doesn't cut it. Java is needed to both play and work on the net. No Java means no functionality too many times.

An exception to what I've seen is ago over in the Wubi forum. Questions there at least get an, "I don't know." That serves to let a user know someone is at least paying attention--and might even care. However, I do not see the same prevalence of that at many other places in these forums. If you want to take over the world with Ubuntu, the very people you seek to convert (noobs) *must* be able to find some sort of support in a timely manner. And although life is casual for many, that means within 24 hours. More than that and life has been put on hold b/c of the problem.

For example, I cannot use Ubuntu at present simply because something which is as easy as pie with both Windows and Mac, installing and using Java, just isn't happening with Ubuntu. Posting here by me and someone else has not brought us help, but only continued frustration.

So although I *really* want to use Ubuntu, it's coming off my computer today--and likely for a very long time. It's useless if it doesn't work and the community doesn't help. Again, this is meant as constructive criticism that I hope someone recognizes as illuminating a real problem, and not as something unimportant, bogus, or trollish.

However, feel free to flame away. But as you do, please keep in mind that I would much rather be using Ubuntu to post this instead of Windows. Unfortunately, the next sites I'll be visiting require Java--but Ubuntu [apparently] hasn't placed very much importance on making Java happen for people who wish to adopt Ubuntu. In sum, no Java means no Ubuntu. And, a tutorial which doesn't work isn't a tutorial--it's wasted bytes and time.

That said, I do hope to check my mail sometime today and see a message that leads me back here to at least find someone *trying* to help, even if not offering a procedure which does. And again, I am not the only one saying this about Ubuntu's forums. Others see they aren't helped and turn away, too. That certainly isn't good for either Ubuntu or a "free" computing environment. It only rewards the de facto monopoly (i.e., Microsoft) we all would prefer to have less control over us and our computers.

Beans

When I type the command

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

it returns

E: Couldn't find package sun-java6-jre

I do have the multiverse repository enabled as per this website. I also tried manually downloading it from Sun Java's website, and following their instructions listed over here. Chmod claimed it couldn't find the file I had just downloaded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast