Thread: Thursday's Meeting (And Stuff....)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thursday's Meeting (And Stuff....)

Thanks to everyone who attended the Ubuntu-Maryland Loco Team's meeting this past Thursday. We had a lot of good discussion about where we want to aim our group. We had just over a dozen people attend if I counted accurately.

Luis Salazar started off the meeting in my absence. He began with an introduction and history of Linux within the Howard County Library system. There was a Q&A followed by a break for those interested in going onto the floor to check out the systems.

After coming back we started discussions on what the group wanted to do and ways to make it happen. The basic agreement that we seemed to come to was advocacy was important to us all. BaltoLug, CALug, and DCLug already exist to discuss Linux and related technical topics quite well. We're looking to promote Linux to the novice and home user and how to integrate that to what they do already. We beleive that Ubuntu is the right distribution to work towards that goal with.

We are going to have some installfests for those interested in participating. A few ideas and concerns came up around this topic. One major one being we need to limit liability on user data and systems. The preference will be to have users bring a system that we can do a fresh install on would be optimal. We are willing to work with people to dual boot their existing systems, but we will be clear that we are not responsible for possible data loss. A few things that we'd like people to try before coming in would be to defrag their machine and boot with a live CD. This live CD will be available at the meeting prior to the install fest, and if we can arrange it (Luis?), at the information desk at the library. That meeting we will also earmark time for a discussion of the install fest for both installers and installees to ask questions.

Another idea that came across was to work with groups in the area who take and refurbish donated computers. Approach them to find out how things work with their group, what they take and how they redeploy the machines. We want to find out if there is a way to bring Ubuntu into the rehab process they use. As well we wish to find community organizations who need their older hardware updated to newer software or just set up with Ubuntu. Personally I'd like to work with groups who are willing to let us showcase their successes and are willing to help us on the next projects as they are able.

The flow of the meeting was discussed. The general idea is to start with introductions as desired. Cover any general Team issues. Then as a part of the meeting we want to present a how-to based around Ubuntu in particular as often as possible. Setting aside time for general users Q&A was also brought up. If anyone has an idea they want explored or wish to present, please feel free to post in the forum or shoot me an email.

And the schedule of meetings. We have a room scheduled at the Howard County Central Library through next spring I think. One change is that we are going to start at 7pm rather than 7:30 to give ourselves more time. This will give us a chance to have presentations run a decent amount of time and plenty of after meeting discussion time.

And Stuff....

I've received a few emails from people in other parts of the state. How much desire is there for meetings outside of the HC area? On what kind of schedule would you like to see them?

The mailing list is hopefully coming along soon. I've had some discussions and it looks like the logs are becoming unjammed on this subject. I'll post more as I find out.

The poll for regular IRC chats has closed. With about three votes Wednesday was the winner. So the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30pm we'll have a feeform chat. The IRC room will always be available but 'official' stuff there will be at that time and last about an hour.

If I missed anything in this recap, please don't hesitate to add or correct something. I was able to make it to the meeting at the last minute so I was unprepared to take notes. I'll be updating the wiki in the next day or so.

Beans

Re: Thursday's Meeting (And Stuff....)

I'd love to see meetings in Montgomery County. Howard County is a bit of a haul on a weekday from Germantown.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I prefer to leave the regular meetings in one consistent location (Howard of course). If the group tries to support multiple locations spread apart there will be almost a separate set of members at the different meetings. As if running two groups. While having special events at other locations is great. BTW 270 and the top end of 495 tend to be horrible for going anywhere on a weekday even to other parts of Montgomery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
    I prefer to leave the regular meetings in one consistent location (Howard of course). If the group tries to support multiple locations spread apart there will be almost a separate set of members at the different meetings. As if running two groups. While having special events at other locations is great. BTW 270 and the top end of 495 tend to be horrible for going anywhere on a weekday even to other parts of Montgomery.
    I think of it less as running two groups more like having twice the resources

Personally I'm in Montgomery county as well. I work in Columbia so either location is fine with me.

Mohnkern, if you want to arrange a meeting in Montgomery County I'll do what I can to attend it myself and we can promote it here. If there is enough of a demand/interest we can run both meetings regularly. Also if anyone is down on the Eastern Shore, Southern MD or other parts of the state and you want to run meetings, let us know.

Keep in mind that this is the Ubuntu Maryland group. All promotion is good as long as we are working together. The main thing that I ask is that the meeting leads or someone at the meeting post notes on what happened and we keep communication open. The other request is to keep track of existing LUGs in your area and try not to conflict with their schedules. We don't want to work against other groups sharing our interest.