View Poll Results: Should we make a seamonkey [mozilla suite] install script?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would be useful

12 85.71%
  • No, it would be irrelevant

1 7.14%
  • Other (explain below)

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    hehe no prob. it's always good to throw out a suggestion
    so, you are saying that it actually plays itunes-drm mp3 files? i thought apple didn't allow others to use their "fairplay" drm? i don't have any drm'ed files, so it's not like i actually care , but i'm very curious!
    Wooo, don't qoute me on that. I just read something about that on the web site. Something about it replaces iTunes, here it is from the horses mouth:
    Anything, Anywhere
    Use an iPod, USB device
    Play tracks from iTunes
    Store, Yahoo! Unlimited
    from: http://www.songbirdnest.com/ I only play mp3's so I really don't know about all that stuff. You may search the forums and see if it is worth while or not to the Ubuntu community. I can't really say as I don't get into all that stuff so much. I just play mp3's from my computer.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Wooo, don't qoute me on that. I just read something about that on the web site. Something about it replaces iTunes, here it is from the horses mouth:
    from: http://www.songbirdnest.com/ I only play mp3's so I really don't know about all that stuff. You may search the forums and see if it is worth while or not to the Ubuntu community. I can't really say as I don't get into all that stuff so much. I just play mp3's from my computer.

Shane
    ah hehe i c.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru
    I think that Songbird may be a higher priority than Seamonkey. As far as installation scripts. Is that in the works? It would even be great if it offer to make it the default music player program. Just a thought.

Shane
    No problem! Here is the script to install the Songbird:

Songbird 0.2.5 Developer Preview

Andy
    Last edited by sumashod; May 9th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    hmm, looks like it... though it is coming from a third-party source, and they re-brand it "iceape"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, the Debian folk thought Mozilla's branding licenses were too restrictive, so they created Iceweasel (Firefox) and Iceape (Seamonkey).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Yes, the Debian folk thought Mozilla's branding licenses were too restrictive, so they created Iceweasel (Firefox) and Iceape (Seamonkey).
    yea, i've heard of the iceweasel thing, but not iceape

but afaik, the branding problems only arise when the redistributor makes changes to the codebase, and thus potentially compromises product quality. if the .deb were a simple packaging into a .deb, without any changes to the code, a rebranding would not be required. so this then raises the question of what kind of changes they have made to seamonkey before packaging it into a .deb...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post

Shane

Erm, I was running sonbird as an open source alternative to Itunes for the Macintosh at my work, and I tried to use the previous Itunes library and the Mp3s would not play. I didn't investigate the problem very deeply, but I just figured it was DRM. Yuck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lightbulb Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

like a lot of other people, i would prefer to use seamonkey that FF, FF runs really slow.....atleast thats how i find it, better to install seamonkey, but i think it would be irrelevant to create a script, considering you can download it here: http://download.mozilla.org/?product...nux&lang=en-US
    just download into your home directory, then launch nautilus as root, or use the nautilus root script from automatix, extract the archive, locate the seamonkey-installer file, and run it, ensuring you are still running nautilus as root, it will install into /usr/local/seamonkey.

to run it use this command: /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
    it's all prettty simple really
    nearly as simple as using synaptic or a script, considering you would need to find a repo that contains it, then add it to sources.list
    i guess the only reason we would need to script it would be for a bit of polish to the OS

Beans
    Distro

heh well, since the seamonkey install script already exists at this point, the question is moot...
    but thanks for your comment, anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast