View Poll Results: Should we make a seamonkey [mozilla suite] install script?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would be useful

    12 85.71%
  • No, it would be irrelevant

    1 7.14%
  • Other (explain below)

    1 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    ***EDIT*** Seamonkey installation is already available in ubuntuzilla. If you are interested, just go ahead and use it. :)

    Just wanted to throw out the possibility of having a seamonkey install script, just like we have for ff and tb.
    not sure how much use it will get, so vote in the poll. :)

    also, anyone know whether seamonkey is in the repos for the various versions of ubuntu, and what the package name is, and what is the link that is put into /usr/bin for it? (this, in case i end up making the seamonkey install script. :) )
    Last edited by nanotube; June 5th, 2007 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    There's no SeaMonkey in any Ubuntu repositories.

    I wrote up a little HowTo on the Wiki about SeaMonkey:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeaMonkey

    It's an installer, not a precompiled binary (unless there's one I don't know about).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    There's no SeaMonkey in any Ubuntu repositories.

    I wrote up a little HowTo on the Wiki about SeaMonkey:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeaMonkey

    It's an installer, not a precompiled binary (unless there's one I don't know about).
    well, it would probably be under "mozilla" or "mozilla-browser" or "mozilla-suite" package, if it's not under "seamonkey".

    also, in addition to the installer, seamonkey has a tar.gz with the binary, without an installer (just like what they have for ff and tb). see here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/ (under official builds>linux>tar.gz)

    though i guess if they have an installer, and it works well, then we don't really need a script. it's just that i saw a thread about seamonkey where people said it didn't quite work right... don't recall the details though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Peru, South America
    Beans
    1,486
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    Just wanted to throw out the possibility of having a seamonkey install script, just like we have for ff and tb.
    not sure how much use it will get, so vote in the poll.

    also, anyone know whether seamonkey is in the repos for the various versions of ubuntu, and what the package name is, and what is the link that is put into /usr/bin for it? (this, in case i end up making the seamonkey install script. )
    I think it may be a little pre-mature for a poll. I like the idea, and happened to stumble across this hidden group. I prefer FireFox, but SeaMonkey does have somethings that FireFox doesn't and occasionally I use it. That is my 2cents worth.

    Shane

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    5

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Here is a Script to install Seamonkey:

    Download

    Andy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    hi
    thanks for sharing your script, it's a good start.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Peru, South America
    Beans
    1,486
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    I think that Songbird may be a higher priority than Seamonkey. As far as installation scripts. Is that in the works? It would even be great if it offer to make it the default music player program. Just a thought.

    Shane

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    I think that Songbird may be a higher priority than Seamonkey. As far as installation scripts. Is that in the works? It would even be great if it offer to make it the default music player program. Just a thought.

    Shane
    hi
    erm, no, it's not even on the horizon - i had to search google to find out what songbird is. and upon visiting the website, i have to be honest that i was not impressed. it looks like they are trying a "kitchen sink" approach to a media player. maybe it's just me, but i'm a fan of having several apps that do one thing well, rather than one app that does many things poorly. (or even one app that does many, but unrelated, things well). why would i want to browse the web from my music player? no thanks. that's why i've got firefox, seamonkey, and elinks on my system.

    not to mention that they don't even provide a download link from the main site. i had to rummage around until i found some downloads, and then, only the nightly builds, so this appears to not even be a "stable" product.

    now, i haven't actually tried it, and maybe it's the best thing ever, but with my "quick glance" approach to evaluating software, i'm not sold. but you must have a reason for being so excited, so... please share with us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Peru, South America
    Beans
    1,486
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    hi
    erm, no, it's not even on the horizon - i had to search google to find out what songbird is. and upon visiting the website, i have to be honest that i was not impressed. it looks like they are trying a "kitchen sink" approach to a media player. maybe it's just me, but i'm a fan of having several apps that do one thing well, rather than one app that does many things poorly. (or even one app that does many, but unrelated, things well). why would i want to browse the web from my music player? no thanks. that's why i've got firefox, seamonkey, and elinks on my system.

    not to mention that they don't even provide a download link from the main site. i had to rummage around until i found some downloads, and then, only the nightly builds, so this appears to not even be a "stable" product.

    now, i haven't actually tried it, and maybe it's the best thing ever, but with my "quick glance" approach to evaluating software, i'm not sold. but you must have a reason for being so excited, so... please share with us.
    I guess I have never really given it that critical of a review, or any review at all. I found out about it on the Ubuntu forums, and had it installed before. I liked it as a music player, you are right though the web browsing feature was not that great. I could care less about the web browsing part, and forgot that it did that. I guess it's popularity comes from that it plays mp3's out of the box? I'm not sure really. Maybe it is the cross platform that wins people, or maybe that is plays iTunes? I only tried it for a while because it was on the forums and others were raving over it. I run into Songbird on the forums more than I run into Seamonkey. That is all I know about it. Sorry I can't give you more info.

    Shane

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,067
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Development idea: seamonkey installation script?

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    I guess I have never really given it that critical of a review, or any review at all. I found out about it on the Ubuntu forums, and had it installed before. I liked it as a music player, you are right though the web browsing feature was not that great. I could care less about the web browsing part, and forgot that it did that. I guess it's popularity comes from that it plays mp3's out of the box? I'm not sure really. Maybe it is the cross platform that wins people, or maybe that is plays iTunes? I only tried it for a while because it was on the forums and others were raving over it. I run into Songbird on the forums more than I run into Seamonkey. That is all I know about it. Sorry I can't give you more info.

    Shane
    hehe no prob. it's always good to throw out a suggestion
    so, you are saying that it actually plays itunes-drm mp3 files? i thought apple didn't allow others to use their "fairplay" drm? i don't have any drm'ed files, so it's not like i actually care , but i'm very curious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •