Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call for testers! Thunderbird 2.0 installation script revision

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Call for testers! Thunderbird 2.0 installation script revision

Quote Originally Posted by fwojciec View Post
    Thanks for the script nanotube - it worked perfectly on my computer (profile in ~/.mozilla-thunderbird).
    great, thanks for your feedback.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Firefox Installation Script Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Is this the same script that is on the PyKeylogger page? Is so I'm running it now. And it seems to have hung at 78% download. Don't know why, my internet is working fine. Maybe server overload from the download place? Not sure. Here is my terminal output:
    Code:
    Downloading Thunderbird archive from the Mozilla site

--15:03:51--  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/2.0.0.0/linux-i686/en-US/thunderbird-2.0.0.0.tar.gz
               => `thunderbird-2.0.0.0.tar.gz'
    Resolving ftp.mozilla.org... 63.245.208.138
    Connecting to ftp.mozilla.org|63.245.208.138|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
    Location: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/2.0.0.0/linux-i686/en-US/thunderbird-2.0.0.0.tar.gz [following]
    --15:03:53--  http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/2.0.0.0/linux-i686/en-US/thunderbird-2.0.0.0.tar.gz
               => `thunderbird-2.0.0.0.tar.gz'
    Resolving releases.mozilla.org... 130.239.18.158, 130.239.18.159, 64.50.236.214
    Connecting to releases.mozilla.org|130.239.18.158|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 11,428,569 (11M) [application/x-gzip]

78% [=================================================>              ] 8,972,897     --.--K/s    ETA 04:41
    It just stayed at 78% for about 3 minutes and I killed it. Re running it now to see how it goes on try two.

Shane

EDIT: Ok, after 4 minutes of waiting on attempt 2, it is still hung on 78%. It started right at 78%, and stayed there for the 4 minutes. I'm going to assume this is a server problem, I'm 100% sure it is not my internet problem since I have access to the web and am downloading via d4x. (I set it to the lowest setting so it isn't the cause of the problem either, it isn't eating my bandwidth.) I will give it some time and give it a whirl again.

Shane

Edit2 Ok, I ran it again, and figured I would just let it set there and think for a while. However before running it, there were some new updates (from the update that it does) and so I installed them, in all honesty I ran them while the last one was just setting there doing nothing. Running it again the 3rd time, it picked right up and started again. Don't know for what reason. Seems to be running fine. Ok, hung up on the key thing, after the 5th run, worked fine. I think there may need to be a little fine tuning that needs to be done. Seems to work fine other than you have to run it 4 times to get it to work. I can't attribute all of the problems to the script, but somehow I think it didn't allow for the update. Thanks for the script though!

Shane
    thanks for your testing and feedback.
    it looks like the default timeout for wget is 15 minutes, which is probably a bit too long. in the next version of the script i will set the timeout to 1 minute, after which time it will automatically retry.

i am also working on a more robust gpg key retrieval, so that should hopefully reduce gpg key verification problems.

but, actually, regarding your very first question - i think the script posted here may be a couple of minor revisions behind the script posted on pykeylogger at this point. so, i will edit the first post to make it clear that that is no longer the "current" version to test.

thanks again for your persistence and reporting your results!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Firefox Installation Script Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    thanks for your testing and feedback.
    it looks like the default timeout for wget is 15 minutes, which is probably a bit too long. in the next version of the script i will set the timeout to 1 minute, after which time it will automatically retry.

i am also working on a more robust gpg key retrieval, so that should hopefully reduce gpg key verification problems.

but, actually, regarding your very first question - i think the script posted here may be a couple of minor revisions behind the script posted on pykeylogger at this point. so, i will edit the first post to make it clear that that is no longer the "current" version to test.

thanks again for your persistence and reporting your results!
    Glad to be of help. To make it clear, I did get the script from the pykeylogger page, and not this forum. You may want to replace your link with a link directly to the same one as on the pykeylogger page. Just a thought, that way you don't have to upkeep two links. Thanks again for the script, I'm going back to Thunderbird after using Evolution for several months. T-Bird, is just way better of an email client. Lacking on PIM qualities but and awesome email client.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Could someone tell me how to reverse the the installation and go back to TB 1.5? What should I change the symlinks to?

It's a shame, but Thunderbird 2 freezes for me any time I receive a new email, and it also likes to download the same email 5 or 6 times off the server, so it isn't much use to me.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I just downloaded the script from the main site and, with the help of the excellent explanations, ran it. It worked perfectly first time, keys & all.

Well done & thanks very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    Could someone tell me how to reverse the the installation and go back to TB 1.5?
    http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/w...hp/Ubuntuzilla has the instructions, I believe it says just to run the script with -remove.

@nanotube did you want people to test the remove portion as well?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlik View Post
    http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/w...hp/Ubuntuzilla has the instructions, I believe it says just to run the script with -remove.

That does nothing. It ignores the remove flag...

[edit] I moved it to the Desktop and it worked. weird....
    Last edited by Jaymac; April 29th, 2007 at 01:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That is a good point, because when I ran mine, I didn't run it from the desktop either. (for the install). I ran it from another folder. I don't really do work on my desktop.

Shane

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlik View Post

well, yea, all functionality should be tested. :) aysiu did report than -remove worked, but if more people test, there's more chance that bugs will be caught.

Beans
    Distro

maybe you mistyped the command when you tried it the first time? the script doesn't really do any sort of checking to see if it's on the desktop or not, so there's no way that should matter...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast