Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does your ubuntu box take to boot?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How long does your ubuntu box take to boot?

Hi all

It'd make interesting reading to see what different people are getting in terms of boot time, as it relates to system specs, optimisations etc.

For me it takes 65 sec from turning the computer on, to seeing the gdm login. This is with a 10 sec delay in grub, so it can be 55sec. My gnome desktop loads in about 3 sec after that.

I'm running Hoary on a P4 2.6GHz box with 1Gb RAM and a Western Digital 160Gb drive 7200 rpm.

I've stripped out all sorts of unwanted services (especially checkfs.sh which took 30+ sec to check my disks every boot) and enabled prelinking. I also edited /etc/init.d/rc to include an & after $i start , so as to start later services in parallel.

The last few lines...

Code:
    	startup $i start &
    				;;
    		esac
    	done
      fi
    # eof /etc/init.d/rc
    I'm running splashy, which might add a couple of seconds to boot time but is worth it for looks!.

Ubuntu certainly doesn't have the fastest boot time of any linux I've used, but I've also seen a lot slower. On the flip side, once it's up and running it seems pretty snappy to me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How long does your ubuntu box take to boot?

About 2 minutes! I'm running an 2200+ AMD Athlon xp with 256mb 266mhz DDR ram and 80GB 7200rpm seagate HDD.
    Last edited by Dragonfly_X; June 16th, 2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Registered Linux user #383278

Our work on Ubuntu is driven by a philosophy on software freedom that we hope will spread and bring the benefits of software technology to all parts of the globe.

Beans

49 Mississippis
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

to boot? too long!

hopefully will be improved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

lol.. i almost forgot what "boot" means.. ubuntu is so stable that i almost never reboot... (last one was due to a power failure ) take a look:

Maybe next month i can count the boot time...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    lol.. i almost forgot what "boot" means.. ubuntu is so stable that i almost never reboot... (last one was due to a power failure ) take a look:

You have one helluva cluttered desktop!

Next time I reboot, I'll count how long it takes. I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 512mb ram and a GeForce3 Ti500. I must say it boots up pretty damn quickly, even with all my gdesklets starting up.

Heres my desktop, had to give a link because its pretty big

http://img196.echo.cx/img196/6973/screenshot6tk.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sapo

Nice Rei Ayami avatar
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by tristan
    I also edited /etc/init.d/rc to include an & after $i start , so as to start later services in parallel.
    Is it safe to do this?

I tried to install initng a few weeks ago, which gave quite a fast boot time but also a lot of errors. Maybe I will try again sometime, but if this is all it takes to start everything in parallel....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by UbuWu
    Is it safe to do this?

I tried to install initng a few weeks ago, which gave quite a fast boot time but also a lot of errors. Maybe I will try again sometime, but if this is all it takes to start everything in parallel....

Well it's nowhere near as sophisticated as initng, but it definitely works for me, shaves about 10 sec off bootup time. As long as the services you're starting in parallel don't depend on each other (most of these later services don't), it should work fine. And because it only affects later services which are not critical to the system starting, you shouldn't end up with a fatally unstable box.

I guess like everything you see posted on ubuntuforums - try at your own risk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

from grub to gdm for me is 43 seconds, from gdm to gnome is 17 seconds (this seems slower recently but i don't know why )
    www.bsodcomic.com
    "Because life looks better in .jpg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast