Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting # 3 Topics?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Meeting # 3 Topics?

bribri124, lol no offense taken, it's hard to rile us "older people". I like your "crafty idea". Please expand on it by offering fliers as to where to get support, ie here at the forums, and include the #ubuntu-arizona irc channel for instant online help. We kill two birds at once by first converting them and then getting them to the irc channel to sign them up. Keep up the good work. Thanks johnc4510
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | Membership
    |
    IRC Channel: #ubuntu-us-az
    Server: irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Ian, Wine/Cedaga will is already on the agenda for sunday's meeting. Look for it to be brought up. I will point Slick to the approval page so that the wiki design team knows what needs to be incorporated into it so that approval will not be a problem. Thanks johnc4510
    |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Might take that one or more steps further.

1. Here in Tucson, we have the Tanqaverde Swap meet, that is open (I believe) Thursday through early Sunday afternoon. There are several vendors there that try to sell computers, or software, or services. What if we could get in with one of the vendors, and attempt to convert them to Linux, or at least peak their interest enough to have at least one or two linux systems set up running ubuntu. That way folks can test drive both linux and if they want, the other O$.
    The other option is for a group of folks to go to their local swap meet and set up linux system(s). Show that there is a better altenative solution to the other O$. The down side for any of us to do this, is cost factor. To set up a area, or booth, cost $. Believe it is 15 for half day or 25 for full day.

2. Tucson just missed out on possible opportunity to show off ubuntu at the Pima County Fair. Anyone else have fairs coming up that they might be able to get in on?

3. Speaking of Edubuntu. What about local fund raising fairs, that periodically run, at the schools, etc? Or do they still have these type gatherings for the kids and parents any more? Tape into one or more of these to spread the word, show the ease of use, etc, off to the parents and the kids alike.

Okay, taken up enough white space. But just some expanding thoughts. If not accepted, no problem.
    Last edited by azteech; April 26th, 2007 at 06:23 AM.
    Ubuntu Linux User #12622 | Linux user #400673

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh, one other thought.

Have walked into several computer repair shops in tucson, looking for good buys. Not one has any information regarding linux posted, any of the free CDs made available for customers to grab, nor any systems running linux to show customers the look and feel of linux.
    How about contacting these type local shops (in Tucson, a good one might be Computer Renaissance), to see if we could at least get them to display the free cd's, and information regarding our loco. Who knows, maybe we could even convince one or two to have linux running on a display system for customers to try out.

Beans
    Distro

Ian, Polygon's point above is well founded. We would need to make sure people understand that ms programs, for the most part will not work with linux. And, we would need to be able to tell them what programs could be made to work via Wine or whatever. The most important thing, the most important, is that we don't contribute to people losing data because of us. Agreed?? That is something I will have to feel comfortable with before we even submit the idea to the team for final approval. Agreed?? Work on that part too. Thanks johnc4510
    |

Beans
    Distro

azteech, very good ideas, coordinate with ian and try to get all of this into one package for the team to consider. Both of you keep in mind that we must have in place someway of safeguarding ourselves against people losing there data. I don't know how exactly, but we must do something so that we don't endanger ourselves. Know what I mean? Thanks johnc4510
    |

Beans
    Distro

Ian ask Polygon to help with this too. You, azteech and Polygon. You are now the Ubuntu -Arizona Convert to Ubuntu project. Please confirm to me by email that this is a project the 3 of you are willing to take on. Thanks johnc4510
    |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Agree with everyone. We don't want to mess with folks data. Some how we, as a collective, need to come up with a fool proof backup methodology that works for both windows (all flavors) as well as linux. Why both, well if folks are going to try this out, most will quite possibly dual-boot, until they are truly comfortable with linux. A lot, will dual boot, just because they can't just do without that one M$ program (tax software, checking, et all), or the gamers.

As a suggestion, we may want to start off by concentrating on showing folks the value of the livecd, 1st. That way we don't mess with folks data. True, it is a little slower, but, if we can get them interested, then i recommend we move to the next step, actual installation. By then we as a group, should be able to have a viable, rock solid backup solution and good documentation, in place, to ensure no data is lost.

John, I am willing to take this on. Will hook up with Ian and Polygon, to see if we can put something together. Am out of town tomorrow, and not back to tackle this until Friday evening. But will assist where I can.
    Last edited by azteech; April 26th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Steve and I agree with your last post. You guys work together and get us a solid agenda so that Slick and I can look it over and approve it before you guys present it to the rest of the team. You guys can let us know at the meetings how you are progressing. OK? Since Ian got the ball rolling, we'll let him be team leader for this one if that's ok with you and Polygon. But your all equal and need to work that way, this is a TEAM effort. Thanks so much johnc4510 This loco is really a great bunch and I see nothing but good things ahead for us!!
    |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sure, I can deal with that. Might be more ideas than action at least for me for a little bit here, but I'll do my best to contribute

Communication-wise, anyone can bother me anytime in IRC, via email, or on any of the protocols you see in my profile. I'll get back to it sometime; no guarantee I'll be at my computer when you message, but it's on all the time, so I'll get it eventually.

I'm glad to see stuff taking off here.
    Ian McEwen
    Tucson, AZ
    Ubuntu-Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Launchpad Entry | irc.freenode.net: #ubuntu-arizona

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast