Thread: Looking for a grapher

Looking for a grapher

Hi all...

I'm looking for a program that can graph/plot equations and do basic things like find/graph derivatives. I've done a lot of searching on Sourceforge and Google, but I'm getting a lot of junk results.

I need something that is fairly feature-full, free and works on either Windows XP or Ubuntu (7.04 the 64 bit version). I'd prefer something on Ubuntu though... I set it up a few days ago and I've made the transition for the most part only going back to Windows once in a while.

Thanks

kevinlyfellow is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Looking for a grapher

Well I don't know about finding the tangents of a graph, but I've had great success using gnuplot. It really specializes in plotting data and extracting curves from it (you can graph functions as well). It works for both linux and windows. I suggest this tutorial http://www.duke.edu/~hpgavin/gnuplot.html I highly recommend this package for making nice looking plots. If you are interested in this, I further recommend using gnumeric for data entry. You can export your spreadsheet to a text file that works well for gnuplot

I can't seem to find what your looking for exactly, but...
    if you have ti calculator, you can try the emulator tiemu (check synaptic for information on acquiring the roms)
    or you can try computer algebra systems so that you can take the derivatives of your function. Not quite ideal for your purpose (I'm assuming) but maybe that will help.

If the computer algebra system does sound interesting, there are plenty of options. I'm most familiar with yacas, which has a front-end called proteus (i don't know what the package is called). Proteus has never worked well for me but its worth a shot. You can also try quickmath.com which uses webmathematica to take derivatives
    Last edited by kevinlyfellow; April 23rd, 2007 at 09:01 AM.

kevinlyfellow is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think I found just the thing! try out kmplot

Beans

I really like matplotlib (pylab), since it offers very nice scripting possibilities through the python interface.

Hey thanks all. KMPlot suits my needs. Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Hand Grenade View Post
    Hi all...

I'm looking for a program that can graph/plot equations and do basic things like find/graph derivatives. I've done a lot of searching on Sourceforge and Google, but I'm getting a lot of junk results.

I need something that is fairly feature-full, free and works on either Windows XP or Ubuntu (7.04 the 64 bit version). I'd prefer something on Ubuntu though... I set it up a few days ago and I've made the transition for the most part only going back to Windows once in a while.

Thanks
    GraphMonkey does all that.