View Poll Results: What do you think about this Ubuntu Commerical idea ?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • good idea!

304 62.04%
  • good idea I wanna help!

122 24.90%
  • bad idea

53 10.82%
  • other (please explain)

11 2.24%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu commercial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu commercial

Quote Originally Posted by tread
    I'd say no attacking windows. Just Ubuntu's positive side .. starting with ease of installation and use!

In fact, I think the ad shouldn't concentrate on too many points at all. We should just choose two or three main points and focus on those. Something like:

Ease of installation and use
    Office apps like Evolution, Openoffice
    Net apps like firefox, gaim
    Ubuntu community

Oh and that its free of course
    We'll soon have to start a poll about whether or not to attack windows. If it's gonna be a close call we have to postpone the decision and just decide which script is better.

I think the most important thing is that we make this commercial funny as hell. We want this to spread. This way we get people to the ubuntu websites. (like http://www.spreadubuntu.org) .. at these websites they can read the stuff in a relaxed way.

Beans

Do we want to attack Windows?
    attacking does not help promote something, plus gates and crew do a pretty good job at making themselves look bad without any outside help
    ~Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

In fact, I think the ad shouldn't concentrate on too many points at all. We should just choose two or three main points and focus on those.
    I think you are right about this, but Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has many positive things, that wouldn't be good to put aside. I guess that we can create a character and make one commercial for one positive characteristic, and then an other commercial (with the same character) making a point in an other positive thing. I think that demon666_nl has some sort of fetiche with squirrels so we can use that little and cute animal for the commercials.

Any ideas?
    Free your mind...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Should the Ubuntu commercial attack windows ?

Please continue the discussion about attacking windows here (there's also a poll) :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=213265

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    [...] I think it has to be something everyone can understand. And we don't want to do something like :linux was scary and now it isn't scary anymore. That's a bit negative towards linux.
    Yes sir, I agree. Most people don't find the obscure as very "entertaining" - like the occasional references Groening will throw into a Simpsons episode (probably hoping most sitting at home will scratch their chin and turn to their friend on the couch and say, "huh?"). Personally, I like the awkward torturous silence Dennis Miller created with his "play by play" calls on Monday Nite football (oops! probably another reference most won't get). Anyways, that's how I roll.

My "vision" started off as rather serious and reflective, but as the Dr. Pepper in my cup began to dwindle, flashes of Linus dressed in galactic emperor clothing while cracking lashes on our backs with his whip began to surface. Somehow it all began to just blur together as I wrote.

sorry 'bout that.

But, quite frankly, even as I type this sentence, I still see Linus wringing his hands together as he monitors the hordes of Windows users converting over to Linux daily from his spaceship, "Come my children...come my precious...muahahahaha..."

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    I think you are right about this, but Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has many positive things, that wouldn't be good to put aside. I guess that we can create a character and make one commercial for one positive characteristic, and then an other commercial (with the same character) making a point in an other positive thing.
    Yeah we can make more than 1 commercial. Maybe a good first one is a total crazy and funny one. Maybe use africa / aliens / medicine masks or something.The word Ubuntu in the end This will create curiousity.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    I think that demon666_nl has some sort of fetiche with squirrels so we can use that little and cute animal for the commercials.

Any ideas?

I just think that using animals is nice. Ubuntu does it in all their release names. Maybe we should use a warthog for all commercials during hoary. Maybe start using a badger when it's almost time for breezy.
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; June 15th, 2005 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

Maybe a badger learning to use Linux? ok, possibly dumb idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    Yes sir, I agree. Most people don't find the obscure as very "entertaining" - like the occasional references Groening will throw into a Simpsons episode (probably hoping most sitting at home will scratch their chin and turn to their friend on the couch and say, "huh?"). Personally, I like the awkward torturous silence Dennis Miller created with his "play by play" calls on Monday Nite football (oops! probably another reference most won't get). Anyways, that's how I roll.

My "vision" started off as rather serious and reflective, but as the Dr. Pepper in my cup began to dwindle, flashes of Linus dressed in galactic emperor clothing while cracking lashes on our backs with his whip began to surface. Somehow it all began to just blur together as I wrote.

sorry 'bout that.

But, quite frankly, even as I type this sentence, I still see Linus wringing his hands together as he monitors the hordes of Windows users converting over to Linux daily from his spaceship, "Come my children...come my precious...muahahahaha..."

\\//_
    you are funny

Keep it coming. Maybe you'll strike gold

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Maybe a badger learning to use Linux? ok, possibly dumb idea
    not so bad. But how do we make it funny ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My suggestions:
    • Keep it simple - focus on name recognition. A lot of people have no idea what Ubuntu is.
    • Be careful in defining what "funny" is. I personally didn't think the firefox clips where funny in the slightest. Evidently a lot of other people did. If you go the humor route, try to aim for a more universal humor (if there is such a thing).
    • Don't attack Windows. It's a waste of time at this point and it plays into the sterotypical "elitist linux nerds hate Microsoft for no reason". Save it for a later commercial, if at all. For now, just educate people about what Ubuntu is.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast