Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventrilo and wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ventrilo and wine

Posting in case someone else may find this useful.

My Ventrilo works under Wine, with WoW running, and using the PTT key. I am not using aoss or the PTT script/hack. I should also note that the Linux Teamspeak client works fine for me with WoW, as long as I start TS first.

This probably won't be helpful for most of you experiencing other problems, but the error I was getting was "Unable to CreateDirectSoundBuffer" when trying to talk or use Test mode when WoW was running. When WoW was not running, Vent worked fine for me.

Vent version: ventrilo-2.3.0-Windows-i386.exe
    Wine version: wine-0.9.36
    WoW version: Latest (obvioulsy)

Under System --> Preferences --> Sound, all options on the Devices tab set to ALSA.

The trick is in the loading, allowing Vent to create the necessary input buffer before WoW does (which I don't think WoW needs anyway).

1. Load Vent
    2. Connect to your sever
    3. Go to Setup, and start Test mode (leave it activated)
    4. Start WoW
    5. After WoW loads, cancel Test mode and close the settings.
    6. Vent and WoW should be playing nicely.

My Vent settings are as follows: "Use DirectSound" checked wherever it appears. Hardware input Mixing set to None. "Use DirectInput to detect Hotkey' unchecked/disabled. My PTT key is Mouse3. I also followed the Vent steps listed on the Wine App DB.

My Sound settings in winecfg are set to OSS.
    Last edited by Jovec; May 10th, 2007 at 03:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

how do i install ventrilctrl, i really couldnt figure it out from the readme, all it said was type ./runctrl.sh , but it doesnt tell me where to put the file, and when i do try that i get
    ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: not found
    or ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: no permission (or something like that)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bluewagon View Post
    how do i install ventrilctrl, i really couldnt figure it out from the readme, all it said was type ./runctrl.sh , but it doesnt tell me where to put the file, and when i do try that i get
    ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: not found
    or ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: no permission (or something like that)
    Updated ventriloctrl with instructions thanks to calebgray: http://www.calebgray.com/uploads/ven...loctrl-0.5.zip ~08/23/2008

*** The following is ancient and outdated from over a year ago and likely no longer works I'm sorry but I won't be answering private messages about my walkthrough. *** ~06/21/2008

--Incase anyone else stumbles upon this post,
    --You can download ventriloctrl here: http://np1.pp.fi/ventriloctrl/ventriloctrl-0.3.tar.gz
    --I've also mirrored it here just incase the creator's site is down: http://hikaricore.googlepages.com/ve...trl-0.3.tar.gz

You need to compile ventriloctrl to run it.

Direct from the README file:
    Ventriloctrl
    -------------
    Ventriloctrl is program to send keypresses to Ventrilo client even
    if it is not on top.

Requirements
    ------------
    Event Device included in kernel
    Xorg(Xfree?) development libraries
    Reading rights for event device

Compiling
    ---------
    make
    So you will first need to install build-essential if you never have:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Then the development libraries for Xorg (this should be enough):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg-dev
    Then run:

Code:
    make
    From the directory you extracted ventrilocontrol into.

it should output something like this:

[hikaricore@devistate:~/ventriloctrl-0.3 (.6 Mb)]$ make
    gcc -Wall -O3 -o ventriloctrl ventriloctrl.c -lX11
    gcc -Wall -O3 -o findkey findkey.c
    If get an error, let me know I'll try and figure out what dev files I missed.

Now for configuring it, this part is fun.

You will need to find out what device your system uses for input. For example on my system it's:

/dev/input/event1

Yours may differ. So you need to run

Code:
    sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event#
    Replacing the # with numbers ranging from 0 to 6, example:

Code:
    sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event0
    Upon running this command press some keys on your keyboard, if you don't see any output in the terminal hit Ctrl+C to exit the program and try the next number. Like I said it varries.

ok I guess I was a little vague with this part, so I'm giving you an example of what it should look like:

[hikaricore@devistate:!]$ sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event2
    key 28 state 0
    key 97 state 1
    key 97 state 0
    key 54 state 1
    key 54 state 0

Above is the output of findkey, showing: Enterkey (up), Right Ctrl (down,up) Right Shift (down,up)

These key numbers will vary from keyboard to keyboard.

But for example if I wanted to use my right Ctrl key for ventriloctrl I would use the number 54 in the following step of the setup. If you run findkey and only see the text you're typing out on the keyboard, you need to move on to the next device. ^_^
    Once you find the correct /dev/input/event# press the key you want to use for vent, remember the number it outputs in the terminal, then you'll need to edit the runctrl.sh file.

Code:
    pico runctrl.sh
    Which will look something like this:

Code:
    # Config, see README for instructions
    EVENT_DEVICE="/dev/input/event1"
    INPUT_KEY="97"

# Don't touch
    ./ventriloctrl $EVENT_DEVICE $INPUT_KEY
    Replace the input_key with the number from the key you chose for your vent key, then replace (if needed) the /dev/input/event# with the one you found to work on your system.

Hit Ctrl+o to save. Then Ctrl+x to close pico.

Now for the tricky part.

Ventrilo Control requires the ability to read and write to the device you've chosen.

There are a number of ways to do this but I'll tell you the one that will work and stay working.

We're going to write a udev rule so that the group ventrilo has read/write access to your event device.

Code:
    sudo groupadd ventrilo
    sudo gpasswd -a YOURUSERNAME ventrilo
    Replace YOURUSERNAME with the username you plan to be using on Ubuntu at the time of running vent.

Now to write the udev rule.

Code:
    sudo pico /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
    This may bring up a new blank file, this is pretty much expected in newer versions of Ubuntu.
    But no worries, time to move on.

In this file, type or paste the following:
    (Replacing the ??? with the number of the /dev/input/event# device you found to work, for example if it was /dev/input/event2, replace ??? with the number 2.)

Code:
    KERNEL=="event[???]", NAME="input/%k", GROUP="ventrilo", MODE="0660"
    Hit Ctrl+o to save and Ctrl+x to exit pico.

One last step, we need to reload udev.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
    Now you should be able to run the file in your ventriloctrl directory called runctrl.sh.

Code:
    ./runctrl.sh
    You will need to have vent running before you start this script.

If all goes well you should be able to go into the vent settings and set your key, with the key you chose to use. It will probably show as the A key when you hit that key, but this is the default of the ventriloctrl program and I'm not even going to begin telling you about modifying that. In most cases this should work perfectly.

Let me know if you have any problems.

--Aaron

Sources used for figuring out this damn mess:
    random thoughts : by Imago
    Writing udev rules
    Incase anyone needs to further understand the udev segment.
    Last edited by hikaricore; August 24th, 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: more fixes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice and ty ill try it out in a bit
    Long Time Linux User 9+ Years - 6+ Years on Ubuntu
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-Bit...

Beans

I'm doing great with this until I get up to the findkey command: command not found. Thoughts?

Beans

Thanks, Hikari--this is fantastic.

Easy enough for even a newb like me to get running in only . . . 4 or 5 hours.

Beans

Alright so I got my ventrilo working! I had basically the same problems all you guys had, but after tinkering for about 6 hours, I finally got something that works well!
    Go to my post and scroll down to my last reply to see the settings I used:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=449999

And to add to that:
    If you want to be able to get sound from other apps besides ventrilo (as using my settings will only let sound come from ventrilo) then you would right click the ventrilo icon and click properties, and form there go to (I believe, as I'm not at my pc right now) the launcher tab and add "aoss" before the word "wine" in the laucnh parameters. I hope that makes sense.
    Alternativiley, if you launch Ventrilo through the terminal, you would add "aoss" before "wine" so it would be "aoss wine path-to-exe"

I hope all that made sense, as I am typing this from school on a Windows XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've been googling and searching left and right, I cannot seem to get this working properly...

For the sound, I am using the motherboard nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller...

winecfg is setup like this:
    • Only OSS is checked
    • Hardware Acceleration: Full
    • Driver Emulation: unchecked

In System->Preferences->Sound, I have ALSA selected in all the dropdowns in the Devices tab.

I deleted .asound.rc from my home dir.

I start WoW by doing:
    Code:
    aoss wine /home/eboots/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe
    I start Ventrilo by doing:
    Code:
    aoss wine /home/eboots/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe
    ... but I still cannot get output sound to work in both apps at the same time, only the one in the foreground will output any sound...

I opened a terminal screen, I manually went to the directory where World of Warcraft is installed, and then I did 'aoss wine WoW.exe'. I could see the following error in the middle of all the "fixme" things:
    Code:
    err:wave:wodOpen fragment size set failed, size is now 8192
    Your Open Sound System driver did not let us configure small enough sound fragments.
    This may cause delays and other problems in audio playback with certain applications.
    I started Ventrilo the same way, I did not see any error messages (apart from the usual 'fixme' things).

Also, could the following wine error message explain anything? Could this be related to the fact that aoss doesn't seem to let two apps output sound at the same time?
    Code:
    ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    (I got the error above when trying Ventrilo alone while winecfg has only ALSA checked)
    Last edited by Electricboots; May 26th, 2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added some details...

Beans

If all goes well you should be able to go into the vent settings and set your key, with the key you chose to use. It will probably show as the A key when you hit that key, but this is the default of the ventriloctrl program and I'm not even going to begin telling you about modifying that. In most cases this should work perfectly.
    I got all of the other stuff done, but never experienced this. Also, it doesn't work for me .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rellin View Post
    I got all of the other stuff done, but never experienced this. Also, it doesn't work for me .
    perhaps you missed a step or didn't launch the modified bash file after completing configuration?

the steps are near flawless so saying it doesn't work for me is just a little vague.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast