Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventrilo and wine

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Ventrilo and wine

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've been trying to get ventrilo working for a while. Well today I got it working with no hastle and since a quick search here for 'ventrilo' turned up only one topic I thought I'd post what I found

Note: The version of wine I used was from the backports repository, I haven't tried any other version so step 1 may be unnecessary.

1. Add the extra repositores from the Unnoffical Ubuntu Guide:
    2. Install the following packages:
    Code:
    wine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    libwine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    libwine-alsa (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    cabextract
    3. Download Ventrilo:
    4. Make a directory for ventrilo and extract it:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/ventrilo
    cd ~/ventrilo
    cabextract /path/to/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe
    5. Edit the file:
    Code:
    ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini
    And add the following line:
    Code:
    MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
    6. Next you need to get your hands on the windows file 'msgsm32.acm' from an existing windows partition (C:/WINDOWS/system32/msgsm32.acm) and copy it to '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/'.

7. Run vent:
    Code:
    cd ~/ventrilo
    wine ./Ventrilo.exe
    I hope it works, and I also hope I'm didn't state the obvious

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ventrilo and wine

Good howto man... But I'd perfer to Support Linux....So I use TeamSpeak

www.goteamspeak.com

If you look closely on the Vent forums theres a post there saying the guy will never release the Linux version of Vent. Mainly because hes so worried about his precious code. Supoort Linux...use TeamSpeak. Theres a new version of TeamSpeak due out soon...should blow the socks off vent with all the extras they've been talking about.

I have gotten ventrillo to work doing exactly that. However, it is very unstable and it doesn't work with some features like hotkeys. Teamspeak works much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I totally agree, I have used Teamspeak for years and have loved every minute of it but recently everyone I know in clan gaming is using ventrilo.

Btw, I checked out the ventrilo homepage recently and the new forum has a linux section. However there is no news to speak of and you can't post in it but is major progress compared to what used to happen on the ventrilo site (ie mention linux and get your post flamed or ignored).

Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain

Unfortunately, probably even if we had a GPL product no one would use it so it wouldn't be very useful. If your clan is using ventrillo then you would be stuck. What would be nice is a reverse engineer of ventrillo.

Beans

I am confused with all of you recommending teamspeak.. As I understand it, teamspeak cannot connect to a ventrilo server. That would mean I can only play on servers which also happen to be running a teamspeak server. Since ventrilo is by far the most prevalent VOIP server, why would I want to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So, Theoretically could we Recode Ventrilo to run on Linux? If I were to attempt this what kind of programming language does Ventrilo use?...C++ or some thing else...any one know? Then I assume I'd be converting it to some type of UNIX language.

Anyone know what 2 languages and where I can fin documentation on each of them. And possibly some kind of Editor...what program would I use to edit the code then compile it?

Or am I just an Idiot and this is basically Impossible?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endy View Post
    Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain
    Endy,

Just FYI, there is a GPL product called Mumble. You can get it here:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

I use it... It is wonderful.. Infact TS3 will be stealing something that it has been doing for a long time - 3D positional audio. Check it out.

Enjoy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Snipersnest
    Good howto man... But I'd perfer to Support Linux....So I use TeamSpeak

www.goteamspeak.com

If you look closely on the Vent forums theres a post there saying the guy will never release the Linux version of Vent. Mainly because hes so worried about his precious code. Supoort Linux...use TeamSpeak. Theres a new version of TeamSpeak due out soon...should blow the socks off vent with all the extras they've been talking about.
    From the Ventrilo Forums....

The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client.

The forum will be activated once the first release is made available.

Thank you for your support and interest in the Linux client.

At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here and possibly some indication on the download page.

--Flag

Not that I don't like or use TeamSpeak....Just an FYI

-Sno

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Snocrash
    From the Ventrilo Forums....

The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client.

The forum will be activated once the first release is made available.

Thank you for your support and interest in the Linux client.

At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here and possibly some indication on the download page.

--Flag

Not that I don't like or use TeamSpeak....Just an FYI

-Sno
    They are working on the 2.3 version of a native linux client. Most people use the 2.2.4 version of it, since it uses the only free server version. Newer versions won't accept more than 8 connections...

I would gladly pay to use the new versions, but they ain't selling it to any private persons.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast