Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Why I love Ubuntu

• It's fast
    • Fully customizable
    • Runs on my old 250mhz computer
    • 1 CD
    • Has a Live CD that is great for showing off Ubuntu and seeing how it will work on a pc before installing
    • Apt+Synaptic, no more RPM hell for me!
    • It's FREE
    • Great community support
    • Very easy to use

Beans

I love it, because it changed my opinion about linux.
    For a long time, I was convinced that linux was for people that want to much. My opinion was that an OS should do it's work, and let me do my work. A sort of co-existence. I always thought that the work you have to put in getting linux to do what you want, wasnt worth the result you got. (something like making bookreports for school when I was young).

The shipped cd gave me a new reason for trying linux once again.
    After running the live-cd, I immediately installed Warty. After reading the forum's, I downloaded Hoary, and after that install, I deleted windows.

I really want to thank you developpers for changing my mind!!!
    Ubuntu gave me the initial power I needed to make me want to learn using my OS once more.

Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I like Ubuntu a lot also.Its easy enough to use for a linux newbie.Hardware support is good and its also stable.Synaptic and Apt are excellent programs! I also like ubuntu's idea "Linux for human beings"
    Registered Linux user #389834

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I love it, because it changed my opinion about linux.
    For a long time, I was convinced that linux was for people that want to much. My opinion was that an OS should do it's work, and let me do my work. A sort of co-existence. I always thought that the work you have to put in getting linux to do what you want, wasnt worth the result you got. (something like making bookreports for school when I was young).
    I think whereas Windows takes a lot of time to install, Linux takes far more effort. If I reinstall Windows, it takes me over two hours to install it and re-download all of XP Service Pack 2 and keep restarting Windows after every security update. Then, I have to spend time installing all the software I want. It takes quite a bit of time.

Installing Linux usually takes less than an hour, including software download. However, my Windows installation is built specifically for the hardware I use and vice versa. All the drivers are ready to go. Everything's set up. Each Linux installation usually needs the printer set up, the screen resolution set up, or the DVD player set up.

There's also a learning curve. Some of the Windows stuff takes less time for me to do because I already know how to do it. The more often I reinstall Linux, the faster the installation goes.

For example, the first time I installed Linux, my screen resolution was terrible and I thought it was just Linux. I had to do hours of research to find the fix for it. Even then, I didn't realize there's a semi-standard solution that doesn't involve a download. Now, if I see screen resolution problems, I know to immediately go as root or sudo into /etc/X11/xorg.conf or the XFree equivalent, and fix the configuration file for HorizSync and VertRefresh.

I guess the question of Linux v. Windows difficulty in set up is really a question of whether you want to pay a company (Dell, Gateway, HP) to set up your hardware with the OS or whether you want to set it up yourself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I guess the question of Linux v. Windows difficulty in set up is really a question of whether you want to pay a company (Dell, Gateway, HP) to set up your hardware with the OS or whether you want to set it up yourself.
    DING DING DING DING.

Some one give this poster a cookie.

Thats the biggest problem as far as "ease" goes. Since MS forces the big computer makers to ship only Windows (or lose OEM prices), you can't get a pre set up Linux box like you can a windows one.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12