Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Bootup splash screen with splashy

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Bootup splash screen with splashy

hey installed splashy, everything okay, but when i boot the system i get no image, only the text of the system being booted... the letters are smaller though (due to vga=792)..
    Last edited by saz; October 12th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have to agree with saz I have the same problem and after experimenting with Splashy for about a week my complete Boot Splash was so f***ed up that I had to reinstall. I have about 2 years experience with slackware and with slackware I got those programs to work. So far I have not been able to get them to work under Ubuntu. I'm using Feisty Fawn 7.04. Is there any special way to install Splashy or Upower so that I can finally use my own boot splash. I have been working on it for almost a year now and am getting pretty tired of it.

Beans

I'm on Kubuntu 7.10 and installing splashy was a breeze.

Getting it to work appears to be a different kettle of fish though...

I now get verbose mode on boot, no splash at all. It says that sed cannot read the /etc/inittab - which makes sense 'cos it ain't there.

Anybody out there with an idea?
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu

Beans

OK, did some more work on this and I now get my theme appearing on turning the box off but the default one flickering at me for a short while before tux is replaced by the orange progress bar (on an otherwise black background).

I added vga=792 quiet splash to my menu.lst, did the whole rigmarole with the initramfs update and am now at my wits' end.

One possibility could be that I am trying to set up an autonomous system (new OEM) in a multi-linux environment, i.e. I just copied the contents of this system's /etc/boot (bar the grub folder) to my existing /boot partition...

My head is spinning, I'd better take a break!
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu

Beans

I just found out about splashy... where can I track its development and integration into ubuntu...

How well do splashy and the proposed slickboot play together?

Edit: Yay! I found it!
    The topic for #splashy is: Latest: 0.3.8 | Everyone asleep or clueless? splashy-users@lists.alioth.debian.org | Website: http://splashy.alioth.debian.org | Devel: http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/developers | Contrib Themes: http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/themes/ | Splashy now superseds bootsplash(.org)
    Last edited by NobleCommerce; January 14th, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

hello,

8.04 amd64 , installed splashy succesfully and changed theme in settings in config.xml to "mycustomtheme".

in themes folder there are two themes "default" and "mycustomtheme".
    i chage all options in /etc/splashy/config.xml to "mycustomtheme" and only what i get is logout splashy screen.

when PC boots it keep returning to default theme , even i replaced original pictures in default theme folder and changed path in config.xml.
    all images i use are 1204x768 png.

any solution to this problem ?

best regards

m1r0

Beans

did you do a sudo update-initramfs?

Beans

Hello,

I just tried splashy and have a question.

If I set vga=791 on the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, the text consoles (ctrl+alt+Fn) become basically unusable : font is much too small and also extremely dimmed.

Is that intrinsic to splashy because of its usage of directfb or is there something to add to boot scripts to restore a more decent font appearance?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Using a VGA code of 791 sets your framebuffer to 1024x768 pixels at 64K colors. If you want something easier on the eye, you can use 785 (640x480px@ 64K colors) or 788 (800x600pixels@ 64K colors). There is a table in the first post of this thread with more VGA codes.

Quote Originally Posted by pwt View Post
    Hello,

I just tried splashy and have a question.

If I set vga=791 on the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, the text consoles (ctrl+alt+Fn) become basically unusable : font is much too small and also extremely dimmed.

Is that intrinsic to splashy because of its usage of directfb or is there something to add to boot scripts to restore a more decent font appearance?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by kwame; July 9th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast